I've officially launched! (New design changes-see bottom of page 1)

Discussion in 'Web Design and Development' started by adamvk, Jan 6, 2010.

1. adamvk macrumors 65816

adamvk

I decided to officially launch my website pre-maturely with the final design changes, Google AdSense, and I put a few quick tips up.

www.camerafocalpoint.com

What do you guys think? I'm interested in what you like/dislike about the design, ad placement, content, etc.

And if anyone wants to help, I need some wallpaper, and some "quick tips" for photography if you have them!

Thanks.

2. adamvk thread starter macrumors 65816

adamvk

Done. :)

I was going to get rid of it when I updated it when the changes, but I forgot.

3. Consultant macrumors G5

Consultant

Cool.

Any reason photobucket? Those images on PB will get deleted if it gets popular, and you'll end up with lots of dead links.

4. adamvk thread starter macrumors 65816

adamvk

Really? Hmm, did not know. Thanks. I have a premium account, does that make a difference?

Maybe I should just host them on my server...its just so slow...Any other photo hosting site you know of that would do it?

5. Consultant macrumors G5

Consultant

Oh maybe that's only non-premium accounts.

I don't see a point using photo hosting site. What if they go down?

6. jecapaga macrumors 601

jecapaga

Launching too prematurely can be a problem. Certain techniques can help with this. :p

7. TuffLuffJimmy macrumors G3

TuffLuffJimmy

Sports? Like baseball?

8. gibbz macrumors 68030

Cool site, although to be honest, I am not really a fan of the background image with the CFP. It is a bit distracting.

9. adamvk thread starter macrumors 65816

adamvk

Ok, thanks for your suggestion. I got rid of the background image.

10. designguy79 macrumors 6502

Maybe a different a photo for the home page would fit better with the web site name, as that one really doesn't have a main "focal point". (its an interesting picture, don't get me wrong).

Also, make sure and use descriptive text in your "title" -- search engines eat up keywords in there, and it is much nicer to see your site name than "Welcome" in the window/tab of the browser.

Have fun!

11. adamvk thread starter macrumors 65816

adamvk

How do you like it now?

12. SwiftLives macrumors 65816

SwiftLives

Rule #1 in launching a new website: Don't acknowledge that you're launching a new website.

Websites tend to have a bit more credibility and integrity when they launch as though they've always been around. Putting "Grand Opening" or "pre-Launch" and the like tends to paint the company represented as inexperienced and new. (And I'm certainly not saying you're inexperienced.)

13. Melrose Suspended

Melrose

Resolve the host issues. The site sat like this ([​IMG]) for ages and I eventually gave up.

14. Gav2k macrumors G3

Gav2k

As above times out 3 out of 5 times.

Gives you two issues.

1, people won't wait and will click back to google and find another site.

2, google won't map your site correctly if it times out.

Lastly host the pictures with the site on the same server.

15. Consultant macrumors G5

Consultant

Someone broke the site... (When it's working the speed is fine).

Well you would think these things are built in, but they are not, so you need some plugins:

Caching / performance
    Optimization
    Security

16. adamvk thread starter macrumors 65816

adamvk

Thanks for the heads-up and advice. I'm not sure why the site isn't working for some of you. I've tried in on several computers and its worked every time.

I'll work on it this weekend when I have time. (This website is just a side-hobby), not my actual job. :)

Let me know if you still are having problems. I see that you guys were having problems January 10, and on Sunday, thats when I was making some updates, so maybe thats why I was having problems.

Well first off, let me start be saying that I am fairly unexperienced when it comes to websites. This is my first actual "public" site so to speak, the other websites I've created for people have just been personal sites, or portfolios. I can do the design aspect well for those sites, but simply because they ARE simple. They usually just contain pictures, contact info, blogs, etc.

I have a confession to make. I use iWeb. I did use iWeb to make www.camerafocalpoint.com. I know Photoshop very well, so I used photoshop to make many of the elements on the page.

With that being said, I think there lies the problem with the site. If I had to guess, thats why the site is so slow.

I'm thinking now that If I want the site to be successful. (Which I do), then I need to redesign my website using a professional program so I can finally have more flexibility.

So, do you all think I should get a better program, or can I work with what I have?

And if the answer is new program, Which program should I get? I do know Adobe Photoshop, Illustrator, and InDesign well, would I be able to pick up Dreamweaver easily? Also I found some software called RapidWeaver, and that looks quite promising too. http://www.realmacsoftware.com/rapidweaver/

17. crain300 macrumors member

i like it it looks very nice i hope to visit it soon
    i love my nikon camera

18. designguy79 macrumors 6502

Just FYI, anyone who knows what to look for can view your HTML source code and see that you used iWeb.

Also, that doesn't have anything to do with the site loading slowly for some people. The files are generated by iWeb, so it is long done doing what it needs to do. :)

It seemed quick for me, BTW.

19. adamvk thread starter macrumors 65816

adamvk

Ya thats true, but I don't think most people do that.

Anways, I plopped down the money for RapidWeaver. I'm still working on the site design, but so far I like it. What do you guys think? Is it a big improvement?

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

20. adamvk thread starter macrumors 65816

adamvk

So...any comments on the new look of the site?...

21. iOrlando macrumors 68000

I didnt understand the site for the first 10 seconds, and I'm not sure I get it now. Not sure if you were selling photos, photo lessons, cameras, etc. I clicked wallpaper and I see different wallpapers...so is that the point of the site? wallpaper downloads? You can see the problem this may cause.

I also am not a fan of the red background and that art image thats to the left of the site name.

In general, when people are into design/photography/etc...I've found simple is best. Nice, crisp white background, minimal text..let the design/photo do the talking.

Overall, you need to be able to tell people where to look and when to look at it without implicitly telling them. Web design is quite an art and very difficult to pull off.

With that said, it is a reputable start and I'm sure the hardest parts have already been done.

22. miles01110 macrumors Core

miles01110

I have a suggestion re: your forums.... for heaven's sake condense them a little bit. My first impression when I click on them is that they're dead (and they are) due to all the "0 threads / 0 posts" in your umpteen different categories. In my opinion you should start with 1 or 2 forums and then branch out as your user base increases.

23. adamvk thread starter macrumors 65816

adamvk

Thank you. I am wondering, did you see the post 2 posts above you? I have the screenshots with the new design I am working on. Do you like that better? Also I am working on a very short but simple movie to have on the home page that will explain the goal of the site.

Very good idea, I never thought of that. Thanks.

24. adamvk thread starter macrumors 65816

adamvk

New design is updated!

I have updated the website with the changes, what do you guys think of it?

www.camerafocalpoint.com

If you have any wallpaper that is nice, please upload it.

Any suggestions/comments on the website would be appreciated. Thanks!