I've only just now figured out how to re-arrange Mission Control windows.

Discussion in 'Mac OS X Lion (10.7)' started by NameUndecided, Jul 20, 2011.

1. NameUndecided macrumors 6502a

It's been bothering me slightly these last few months that there didn't seem to be a way to re-arrange the order of fullscreen apps / desktops that you can swipe through. I've seen a couple of threads asking if there's any way to do this, and I hadn't seen any answers given so far.

The solution seems pretty obvious. This is likely not new information to quite a few people here. But I only just now realized how to control the order that fullscreen windows are in…

Say you've got ~7 fullscreen apps and/or desktops open.
    You go into Mission Control and you see the row of seven screens/windows at the top of the screen.
    Say the iTunes screen is at the very end of the row, but you want it to be the third in the row.
    To do this -- go to your second window (say it's a second desktop), and press the iTunes icon in your dock.
    It will swipe over to your open iTunes, and it will now be the third window instead of the very last.

Say you want Safari to be the second screen in your row instead of the fourth.
    Then go to your first screen (your first desktop window), and click on the Safari icon in the dock.
    That will place Safari as your second window in the row.

I know that this is massively obvious. But it seriously didn't register to me before because I've mostly been moving to already-opened apps by swiping to them or using Mission Control to click on their windows - not by clicking their icons again.

I just wanted to share because I've seen it asked before. I hope that the information is new and beneficial to at least one other person. ;)

2. bushido Suspended

bushido

doesnt work for me it just jumpes to the 3rd screen where itunes is on if i click the itunes icon on my 2nd screen with iMail on

3. Branskins macrumors 65816

Mission Control has a setting in System Preferences that rearranges the spaces on their most recent use. If you turn this off I would guess they would be in the order that you open them? You might even be able to rearrange them then.

4. NameUndecided thread starter macrumors 6502a

If you want iTunes as your second screen, then go to your first screen and click on the iTunes icon.

I know that this is a little difficult to explain clearly. I hope my first post wasn't too jumbled.

If you want a window to the be the second screen in your row, then select its icon (either on the dock, or through launchpad) from the first screen (your desktop). If you want it to be the third screen in the row, then select its icon from the second screen.

For the record, my option to "Automatically re-arrange spaces by most recent use" option is checked.