I've seen the light.

Discussion in 'Politics, Religion, Social Issues' started by Shotglass, Jun 6, 2008.

1. Shotglass macrumors 65816

Shotglass

My parents are Christians. When I was a little kid, they told me there was a god. They told me he saw everything, they told me he would find out if I did bad things. They told me people who do bad things go to hell.
    They never told they couldn't be sure.

For half my life, I've had my doubts about the way my parents raised me. I disagreed with a lot of their views, some of which were so twisted it made me sick to hear about them. I lost faith in my parents, and I turned to religion to see which of the things I learned were in fact true. I read the bible, and I tried to follow it rigorously. I even started taking part in loads of discussion here in the PRSI forum, mostly just desperately defending my own way of thinking.

Needless to say, after a while, I started doubting what people at church told me, too. I looked at the people around me and saw that they, too, were desperately clinging to something they had created in their minds, far from anything that was actually in the bible, but of course very comforting for them with their almost always somewhat messed up lives.

With what faith I had left, I started talking to atheist friends about religion. I had some very interesting conversations with very interesting people, and I sure learned a thing or two about metaphysics. But I also learned that if there was anything supernatural in this world, it was nothing like what any of the major religions make it out to be.

At this point, the bible started making sense to me. I read it through the eyes of what I believed its author to be - a manipulative political masterminds, pulling the strings to set up an ever-humble, ever-obedient, easy-to-govern crowd that would exist for thousands of years, making the lives of the wicked a million times easier.

I learned a lot in the last years. I'm happy to be able to call myself an atheist without feeling like someone will strike me dead the next second. But that's pretty much the only thing I'm happy about. I'm beginning to realize what a great life I could have had if my parents weren't religious. I feel so cheated, so robbed. Like someone took something away from me that I didn't even know I had.

Most of all, I am ashamed. I am ashamed that I wasted so much time believing in something that I created myself. I am ashamed that I was so delusional I thought everything was controlled by some divine power without ever having any evidence of its existence. And I don't mean hard evidence - I have none whatsoever! Last but not least, I am ashamed of the traces I've left all over this forum, spraying my delusional thinking on the walls and in skunk's face...

I'm sorry, people. Will you welcome me into the good people club now?

2. hayduke macrumors 65816

hayduke

Welcome indeed. Never a better time to begin to build your legacy. That, in my opinion is the only way we continue to "exist" after death. Unless people make nice paintings or bronze statues of you. One's legacy needn't be grandiose, but passing knowledge on to others and supporting the well being of many is something we can all do. And we don't need a god to do it.

3. Cleverboy macrumors 65816

Cleverboy

Pocket Universe, nth Dimensional Complex Manifold
    You have ABSOLUTELY NOTHING to be ashamed about. The God concept is a natural aspect of our evolutionary progress as a species. You should be no more "ashamed" of believing in God, than you should be ashamed that your body grew an appendix. Don't be an "atheist", be a "naturalist". Don't define your beliefs simply by what you DON'T believe, simply because you previously thought inside of that context. What you believe is a much more powerful place to live, than from what you do not believe in. This is my personal opinion.

You have a warm piece of meat that makes you think your thoughts revolve around some vague concept called "truth". Once you realize that the very matter you use to percieve may well influence your perception of ultimate reality, you'll take a much more humble view of any concept we arbitrarily label "God" or "Truth". It's ALL RELATIVE. And we're ALL HUMAN.

Peace,
    ~ CB

4. skunk macrumors G4

skunk

You are welcome any time, but I can't guarantee to be a good person. :)

I will try, however.

5. madfresh macrumors regular

link/source?

6. CalBoy macrumors 604

CalBoy

We welcome you with open arms. :)

Be aware, however, that you have chosen to be a part of one of the most persecuted groups that has ever existed in any space at any time.

As long as you are the best that you can be, you will do your new title a great honor. :)

7. iJohnHenry macrumors P6

iJohnHenry

That's gonna smart!! ;)

OH??? I don't get a Gay vibe with his post, just general confusion that any thinking person arrives at, sooner or later.

:p

8. CalBoy macrumors 604

CalBoy

:p

Seriously though, a poll of Americans last year found that more would prefer a gay president to an atheist president, so if it's not one, it's the other. :p

9. Cleverboy macrumors 65816

Cleverboy

Pocket Universe, nth Dimensional Complex Manifold
    My own mindless ramblings.
    Dubito ergo cogito, cogito ergo sum.

~ CB

10. iJohnHenry macrumors P6

iJohnHenry

I got a 14 in my Latin final, so I'll pass on this one.

11. CalBoy macrumors 604

CalBoy

I believe it's something along the lines of "I doubt, therefore I think, therefore I am."

12. iJohnHenry macrumors P6

iJohnHenry

13. SMM macrumors 65816

SMM

Most thoughtful people go through periods of metamorphosis during their life.

I was a choirboy, alterboy, catholic school, holy terror from age 7 up to puberty. However, I would sin all day and say my prayers each night. My mother was often getting getting calls, from other parents, complaining that their kids could not sleep and were crying, because I had convinced them they were going to hell for not being catholic. Then I was kicked out of school and the catholic pretty much went bye-bye.

Then a major change happened in my life. We picked two hippies from SF, who were hitching up to Canada. We ended up spending the entire evening on the beach, in front of a nice warm fire and rapping about life. This was the 'summer of love' and these were real hippies, not just long haired drug users. For the first time in my young life, I learned that opening your mind up to thought was truly a wonderful experience. I wanted to cast off the old person was and explore new ideas and the wonderful world I was part of. I have gone through many other changes and adjustments over the years, but this has always remained constant.

I think you will in time come to terms with this and just see it as part of your personal evolution. Ken Kesey used to say that each of our lives is our own personal movie. I always liked that analogy. I wish you well as yours unfolds.

14. LethalWolfe macrumors G3

LethalWolfe

Nice to see that you've gone from a judgmental Christian into a judgmental atheist.;)

Lethal

15. Grey Beard macrumors 65816

Grey Beard

*Spoiler*

And for an abridged version, the answer is 42.

KGB

16. Prof. macrumors 601

Prof.

That's the problem with Christians tho; they judge other ppl when the bible clearly states "Thou shalt not judge." I'm a Christian and I must say, we are a bunch of hypocrites.

On a side note, I don't believe God is a person. I believe God is the energy that surrounds us.

17. LethalWolfe macrumors G3

LethalWolfe

Just 'cause yer a hypocrite doesn't mean that every Christian is.;) I've known narrow minded Bible thumpers as well as congregations that actively courted and supported their local gay community. Making sweeping generalizations about entire groups of people doesn't promote global harmony.:)

Lethal

18. Badandy macrumors 68040

Badandy

So you're a Christian who doesn't believe in God as an omnipotent being or in Christ as God's son?

19. Queso macrumors G4

That Yurp is full of them damn atheists!! Nucularize 'em Mr President :p

20. solvs macrumors 603

solvs

You are welcome to your beliefs, one way or the other, but just remember that god doesn't have to come from a book, let alone your parents book.

21. skunk macrumors G4

skunk

Probably the most sensible part of your post... :)

But seriously, the second quotation, wherever it is from, is a very roundabout way of saying not very much. The only connection you need to make is that, since people began to think, they have noticed that they individually occupy but a small interval in the passage of time, ergo there is something greater than they. Formalising this realisation into "God" is merely a refuge from mortality.
    Homo sapiens Neanderthalensis and Homo sapiens sapiens are both sub-groups of Homo sapiens, and there is ample evidence that Homo sapiens Neanderthalensis had religion too, so the distinction your author draws is false.

(And it's "supplant" not "surplant"...)

22. skunk macrumors G4

skunk

There is no inconsistency in believing that the principles taught by the rabbi Jesus are an excellent guide for a good life, while at the same time not believing all the hierarchical legitimisation mechanisms tacked onto the story by the organisation freaks who followed and wished to lay claim to sole ownership of Jesus' truth.

23. Blue Velvet Moderator emeritus

Quoted for truth. I loves me some skunk. ;)

24. Much Ado macrumors 68000

Much Ado

That Demi-God you quoted isn't bad either, is he?

25. Shotglass thread starter macrumors 65816

Shotglass

CalBoy, I am in the process of realizing that. Luckily, this isn't the US.
    iJohnHenry, a 14 in Latin is the second best grade you can get in these parts.
    SMM, I absolutely agree with what you say. Still, right now I'm a bit angry at myself and my parents, so the getting over part will probably take its sweet time.
    LethalWolfe, I will admit being a Judgy von Holierthanthou in the past, but how am I a judgmental atheist?
    solvs, I like the saying "I like God, he's cool. But his fanclub is pissing me off". Thanks for reminding me though, but I think I'll stick with atheism for now.