iPhone XR I've used Android for the last 8 years but today my iPhone XR arrives!

LastBlueDragon

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Mar 16, 2019
UK
So to cut a long story short, the last iPhone I owned was the 4s, and I've been using Android ever since.

I recently bought my eldest son a second hand first generation iPad mini, and being honest I was simply stunned by how it performed for a 7 year old device. I had also forgetten just how good iOS is.

I'm not bashing Android, it's come a long way since I first started using it, and it's certainly got it's strengths. But with setting up and supervising my son on his iPad two things really stood out to me:

1) How iOS runs (especially as this was on a 7 year old iPad). Its so smooth! And fluid. I'd genuinely forgotten this since I've used it.

2) The Apps. Although Android has more apps, putting it quite blunty, a lot of them are rubbish. Not all, but there are lots of really bad apps there. The ones I've seen so far on the iPad are so polished and just work as they should!

My phone contract is up, and I was planning on moving my S7 Edge up to a newer Galaxy model but I decided that I would take the plunge and move back to Apple, so my XR arrives today.

I know there'll be a bit of a learning curve but I'm pretty excited to be back to Apple after all these years!

sparksd

macrumors 68030
Jun 7, 2015
Seattle WA
So to cut a long story short, the last iPhone I owned was the 4s, and I've been using Android ever since.

I recently bought my eldest son a second hand first generation iPad mini, and being honest I was simply stunned by how it performed for a 7 year old device. I had also forgetten just how good iOS is.

I'm not bashing Android, it's come a long way since I first started using it, and it's certainly got it's strengths. But with setting up and supervising my son on his iPad two things really stood out to me:

1) How iOS runs (especially as this was on a 7 year old iPad). Its so smooth! And fluid. I'd genuinely forgotten this since I've used it.

2) The Apps. Although Android has more apps, putting it quite blunty, a lot of them are rubbish. Not all, but there are lots of really bad apps there. The ones I've seen so far on the iPad are so polished and just work as they should!

My phone contract is up, and I was planning on moving my S7 Edge up to a newer Galaxy model but I decided that I would take the plunge and move back to Apple, so my XR arrives today.

I know there'll be a bit of a learning curve but I'm pretty excited to be back to Apple after all these years!
A month ago I upgraded from the S7 Edge to the XS Max and couldn't be happier. I've been an Android phone user since its inception (I still have an 8" Galaxy Tab S2 in addition to my 10.5" iPP).

lostOzone

macrumors member
Oct 18, 2017
Apps are usually better on iOS. This is a sad fact. Android is smooth but many apps ruin the experience.
Plus you get many functions built in that Android is missing like AirDrop, iMessage, WIFI password sharing.

BigDO

macrumors 6502a
Dec 9, 2012
Get ready to have your mind blown. The quality of the apps is what makes iOS such an irresistible value prop.

Shanghaichica

macrumors G4
Apr 8, 2013
UK
Has it arrived yet?

I think you will enjoy it. It will take a little while to transition over for android though.

mjschabow

macrumors 68030
Dec 25, 2013
Has it arrived yet?

I think you will enjoy it. It will take a little while to transition over for android though.
Shouldn’t be too long though. My first iPhone was the 5s after 4 years of Android and I definitely miss that brand new OS smell.

Wide opeN

macrumors 68000
Aug 27, 2010
Georgia
Welcome home!!! The Xr is a great phone to get your feet wet with.

TBH... Face ID is THE killer feature you should be excited for. I couldn't give it up if I wanted to.

Don't know if you Swype or not, but I've been using SwiftKey since it was introduced with iOS 8, so if you do I'd pick that app up as well.

Again, welcome back and you won't be disappointed.

mjschabow

macrumors 68030
Dec 25, 2013
Welcome home!!! The Xr is a great phone to get your feet wet with.

TBH... Face ID is THE killer feature you should be excited for. I couldn't give it up if I wanted to.

Don't know if you Swype or not, but I've been using SwiftKey since it was introduced with iOS 8, so if you do I'd pick that app up as well.

Again, welcome back and you won't be disappointed.
The only thing I don’t like about swiftkey is that you don’t that the cursor control by pressing on the space bar like the stock keyboard.

HEK

macrumors 68040
Sep 24, 2013
US Eastern time zone
Welcome back, you might want to experiment with a couple of items.

Turn off attention to unlock. I have found this works well for me as I don’t need to be looking at phone to unlock it. It just needs to see my face. Also Face ID improves as you use it. Things like glasses or more shallow angles like using in bed improve. Just use passcode if it fails. Each time you do so, facial variations are added. I have gotten to the point where using Touch ID on my iPad Air 2 is annoying.

Depending on your likes/dislikes try toggling the settings for translucence and motion off. It speeds things up transitioning screens, and uses less graphics processing. These features are default set to on. I have found them to be neat at first, but I like the super snappy response when turned off.

Don’t forget to get an ad blocker for Safari. You will be amazed how fast pages download when so much hidden ads, tracking, redirects, and other such nonsense is not downloaded. I have found 1Blocker X to work really well. It is very customizable and can easily be turned off and on.

Enjoy your new iPhone and if you are so inclined, let me know what you think about the above options.

LastBlueDragon

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Mar 16, 2019
UK
Has it arrived yet?

It's not here yet :(

I thought it was next day delivery (it is for mainland UK) but because I'm in Northern Ireland it takes an extra couple of days (boo!).

I ordered a case and screen protectors from Amazon which have arrived though , so at least they're ready to go on when it does get here!