Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

vikolaf

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jul 16, 2004
New York, USA
I live in Europe and download shows I can't watch on TV here. It would be so cool if we could get good quality sitcoms and movies from an iVS... :D

wrldwzrd89

macrumors G5
Jun 6, 2003
Solon, OH
vikolaf said:
I live in Europe and download shows I can't watch on TV here. It would be so cool if we could get good quality sitcoms and movies from an iVS... :D
There's several reasons why that hasn't happened yet - the biggest reason being broadband adoption percentages. Such a service would require broadband; it makes no sense to offer it unless the average consumer could be expected to have broadband internet access. Plus, Apple is based in the USA, so they would look at US broadband adoption first before other places (that may have higher or lower adoption rates). Obviously, it would be offered first in the US, then expanded to Europe, just like the iTMS was. I know, it's rough living in Europe and being treated like second fiddle - I used to live in the UK.

AmigoMac

macrumors 68020
Aug 5, 2003
l'Allemagne
IMO, it won't be that cool... just like bloatware... too man things for Mac OS X ... maybe they will sell Music videos... but I personally won'T see the same movie more than twice / month... actually twice/year is a lot... unless as posted in a hilarious thread before... apple will sell pr0n! :p

jkaz

macrumors 6502
Feb 3, 2004
Upper Mid West
i've dreamed of this for a very long time.

just as steve jobs proclaimed during the early days of the music store that they are more than capable of handling the bandwith issues based on the oceans of data dl'd for their quicktime movie tralier section, they are already equipped to handle a video store.

this is perfect for music videos, but even better for skit comedy.

think of the 1000's of saturday night live skits that would be worth buying for a buck, daily show(if you are into that), even regular news stories.

it would be great, and i think there would be a huge market for it as well

vikolaf

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jul 16, 2004
New York, USA
I never really understood why we couldn't purchase on the US iTunes. I had a US credit card so i could actually access it from europe.
Anyway here in France 40% of households that have internet have ADSL and the number is growing by the hour. Furthermore we are getting better speeds up to 6Mbits (in Sweden you can get up to 50!!!!)
I think it's totally feasible
It does suck to live in Europe everything apple sells is way overpriced compared to the US

SiliconAddict

macrumors 603
Jun 19, 2003
Chicago, IL
wrldwzrd89 said:
There's several reasons why that hasn't happened yet - the biggest reason being broadband adoption percentages. Such a service would require broadband; it makes no sense to offer it unless the average consumer could be expected to have broadband internet access. Plus, Apple is based in the USA, so they would look at US broadband adoption first before other places (that may have higher or lower adoption rates). Obviously, it would be offered first in the US, then expanded to Europe, just like the iTMS was. I know, it's rough living in Europe and being treated like second fiddle - I used to live in the UK.

Tell that to Tivo and Netflix. They are already seriously talking video on demand for their hard drive players and Netflix service. If memory serves broadband finally has outpaced dialup last fall. I think its in the 60% range.
All I know is I have broadband and if I can download a movie instead of doing the netflix disk swap thing I'm more then cool with that. :cool:

wrldwzrd89

macrumors G5
Jun 6, 2003
Solon, OH
SiliconAddict said:
Tell that to Tivo and Netflix. They are already seriously talking video on demand for their hard drive players and Netflix service. If memory serves broadband finally has outpaced dialup last fall. I think its in the 60% range.
All I know is I have broadband and if I can download a movie instead of doing the netflix disk swap thing I'm more then cool with that. :cool:
Just because TiVo and Netflix are content with 60% broadband adoption doesn't mean Apple will be. Apple's probably waiting for 80-99% adoption before launching such a service.

wrldwzrd89

macrumors G5
Jun 6, 2003
Solon, OH
vikolaf said:
I must dissent. I truly believe that 90% of the people using ITMS have broadband
I agree with you, but don't forget - Apple thinks different. Apple doesn't want to limit customers of an iVS to only those that use the iTMS, since there are probably people out there who would use an iVS but not iTMS. Apple would want to target those people too.

vikolaf

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jul 16, 2004
New York, USA
Why would they not want to target the same population? If what you claim is correcct they wouls never have started the iTMS since that would have been limiting the scope of potential clients. I also think that people who dl movies are pretty much the same as the people who dl music.

Jovian9

macrumors 68000
Feb 19, 2003
Planet Zebes
I would definitely take advantage of this if you could download music videos in DV quality format to burn to DVD. I'd probably still buy real copies of full length films though.

wrldwzrd89

macrumors G5
Jun 6, 2003
Solon, OH
vikolaf said:
Why would they not want to target the same population? If what you claim is correcct they wouls never have started the iTMS since that would have been limiting the scope of potential clients. I also think that people who dl movies are pretty much the same as the people who dl music.
Exactly the point I'm trying to get across - only I'm including those few who aren't interested in the iTMS but would be interested in an iVS. Of course Apple would want to target the iTMS users - I'm just saying that Apple wants to cast its net as broadly as possible, and in order to do that, they have to wait until downloading long videos over the Internet is practical for a majority of users.

yoda13

macrumors 65816
Sep 26, 2003
Texas
vikolaf said:
I must dissent. I truly believe that 90% of the people using ITMS have broadband

Well, I use ITMS all the time and I don't have broadband, yet :D

It is finally coming here soon though, thank goodness. But all of my friends and family use this service, and they don't have broadband either. I am not sure about that 90% of users. I bet it is more like 2 of 3 or so.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.