Ivy Bridge only in high end of 2012 lineup?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by smeek, Dec 19, 2011.

1. smeek macrumors newbie

Hey all, I'm interested in getting a new MBP to replace my mid 2009 white MB. I need the battery life and power promised by an Ivy Bridge, and the trackpad and durability is nice. I might be willing to wait, though... Q2 2012 for the IVB right?

Based on the trend of past Apple refreshes on MBP, how do you speculate the lineup will turn out? Ivy Bridge only in higher end and the faster current MBP bumped to baseline? I can only spend as much $$$ as baseline.

2. theipadkid macrumors newbie

why would apple keep older processors in the lower end? LOL

3. smeek thread starter macrumors newbie

The basis of my assumption in the trend is this:

http://guides.macrumors.com/MacBook_Pro

From C2D to i5, i5 was first introduced in the higher end before, one revision after, going to baseline. Productions costs, maybe?

4. Mr. Retrofire macrumors 601

Mr. Retrofire

Q1.

All MBPs will get the Ivy Bridge processors in Q1 of 2012. MBAs are a different story.

5. oiuh151 macrumors 6502

The only reason the 13" models stuck with C2D was because Apple wanted to use NVIDIA's integrated graphics as opposed to Intel's at the time and the only way to do so was to use Intel's older CPU's. This is no longer an issue as Intel's IGP has become good enough for Apple to deem replaceable and will be solidified in Ivy Bridge due to the improved IGP over Sandy Bridge which Apple is currently using.

Ivy Bridge will be available in all models come next refresh.

6. heisenberg123 macrumors 603

heisenberg123

ive looked at about a dozen articles some as recent as Dec 8 and they all say Q2

7. mark28 macrumors 68000

If you're going for the 13" MBP, Ivy Bridge will be a huge upgrade.

The GPU is almost 200% faster than the Sandy Bridge GPU. Also at 22nm, the 13" MBP could also support Quad cores. If the 13" MBP stays with Dual cores, maybe we'll see 3 ghz+ i7 Ivy Bridge MBP?

8. smeek thread starter macrumors newbie

I wasn't aware of that... Okay so it looks like IVB will be in baseline for the next refresh then. :cool:

Can someone confirm the Q1 or Q2? The wait is going to kill me if it's Q2. :D
    In which case... do you think the price will depreciate for a used MB now till then?

Also, how do you expect the battery life to improve? Right now I've heard 5-6 hrs realistic for the current MBP 13...?

9. thundersteele macrumors 68030

The IVs are delayed. An Intel roadmap was leaked that had April and May release dates for the Ivy Bridge mobile CPUs. So it is Q2.

Here is the macrumors rumor:
    http://www.macrumors.com/2011/12/06...xt-macbook-air-and-pro-models-due-around-may/

Note that the high end CPUs are scheduled for April, the lower end ones for May. So there is the possibility that either different models are refreshed at different times, or that the low end MBPs stay with the Sandy Bridge CPUs.

It will depend a lot on what Apple does with the MBP overall. If there is really a full redesign, it would not make sense to optimize the design both for IV and SB.

10. Mr. Retrofire macrumors 601

Mr. Retrofire

Intel said on the IDF, that they plan to ship IB-processors in first half of 2012 (this includes Q1). They will also show IB-devices on the CES 2012 (in January). Apple launches probably the new MBPs a few weeks after CES 2012.

11. smeek thread starter macrumors newbie

First half also includes Q2?

So, two options now:
    1. sell my pristine mid 2009 4gb White MB now with Apple Keyboard, Wireless Mighty Mouse, and seagate 500 gb external NOW for $699 (have someone waiting to buy this afternoon)
    2. or leave it up on Craigslist for $730 ish for the next couple of months?

12. heisenberg123 macrumors 603

heisenberg123

that article is from Sept

everything ive read from Nov Dec say Q2

13. Hellhammer Moderator

Hellhammer

Staff Member

No, they won't. IVB was pushed back to April. Now it's:

April for quad core parts
    May for dual core parts

I.e. May at the earliest for MBP update.

14. smeek thread starter macrumors newbie

GAH! I'll buy now.

Nevermind. There will always be something better down the line.

My logic:
    As I've heard, if all else stays the same on current MBP's, IVB's will only offer an hour more of battery life. Plus, if rumors about a redesign stay true, Rev A apple products are always buggy. Current gen MBP 13" is a solid, exceptional performer, offers double the battery life of my current White MB, and I think i5 is enough for music production, CAD, and graphic design as a student. Besides, I don't game... shouldn't matter.

Besides, Haswell promises unmatched battery life. But by then, who knows, maybe Ultrabooks will become the norm, and MBP's will change drastically.

15. Mr. Retrofire macrumors 601

Mr. Retrofire

@smeek:
    Probably the best choice, if you cannot wait (for various reasons). Current SB-MBPs are already pretty fast.

16. dusk007 macrumors 68040

dusk007

No it is not. 60% is the number Intel was giving and benchmarks of ES already proved as much. The GPU will be almost 100% more efficient according to Intel which means it will need less power than the current one but still giving 60% more speed.

BTT don't wait for more speed. If the lineup rumors are to be believe (and they usually are always right on the spot) the speed up is quite bad for a new generation on a new process, because there isn't much architecture change or any for that matter and the frequency boost is meager.
    Battery life is a big unknown. Could be awesome but there is no reliable information about it. In theory it should give much better battery life under load not so much difference in Idle i.e max battery life.

17. smeek thread starter macrumors newbie

All right, thanks for the help everyone!! You are all prospeculators... if that's a word. Unfortunately the lady who wanted to buy my MB today flaked out (lowballing)... flaking for the 3rd time in these past months selling it. :confused: We'll wait and see who else is interested. Worse comes to worse, if I don't sell it until the new release, the current MBP will become refurb in price.

18. mark28 macrumors 68000

Yes it is.

http://www.tomshardware.com/news/Benchmarks-Intel-Ivy-Bridge-CPU-sandy-bridge,14144.html

56% faster performance in ArcSoft Media Expresso
    192% higher overall 3DMark Vantage Performance Preset - Score
    17% faster performance in 3DMark Vantage Performance Preset - CPU benchmark
    199% faster performance in 3DMark Vantage Performance Preset - GPU benchmark

19. dusk007 macrumors 68040

dusk007

Read more thoroughly that is the HD2000 vs HD4000 (16 EU).
    An HD2000 (6 EU) is half an HD 3000 (12 EU), which means 3 times HD 2000 performance is no more than the 1.5 times HD 3000 performance. 50% speedup.

20. Ccrew macrumors 68020

I wouldn't hold to that. Apple had Sandy Bridge before it's official release.

They're saying Feb/Mar for the iPad 3, I would look for both at a launch event personally.

21. Hellhammer Moderator

Hellhammer

Staff Member

No, they had not.