Ivy Bridge with Mavericks vs Hawell 15 rMBP Battery Life

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by cajer, Oct 24, 2013.

1. cajer macrumors newbie

After seeing how close the performance is between the new haswell and ivy bridge 15 rMBP. I'm considering buying the ivy bridge and saving some money as I don't card much about wireless AC or the PCIe SSD.

So I'm wondering what the battery life difference is between the has well 15 rMBP and the ivy bridge version both with Mavericks. As Apple only claims one extra hour this may likely be due to Mavericks making my decision clear.

2. aiyaaabatt macrumors 6502

Depends... From my observations, Haswell can stretch out battery life on low usage (wifi off, low brightness, word processing) to ~16 hours... ivy rmbp can only reach 11-12 hours same scenario.

3. xxBURT0Nxx macrumors 68020

xxBURT0Nxx

quoted battery times(confirmed in battery tests):

Haswell - 8hrs
    Ivy Bridge - 7hrs

The main thing to know is that battery life is really dependent on what you are doing. Gaming, Transcoding video, and other processor/gpu intensive tasks are going to kill the battery much faster. Word processing with no internet is going to stretch battery life to the max. Any other tasks are going to fall somewhere in-between. Brightness also plays a significant role in how long a charge will last.