Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

agreenster

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Dec 6, 2001
I suspect that someone inside Apple got their hands on either an iPod prototype or (possibly) an iWalk prototype, and fudged the video. The iPod began the scroll wheel interface for Apple, and I think its safe to say that they must have went through many, many prototypes before finding the perfect one. Plus, why would an 'iWalk' type device have both a stylus and a scroll wheel? Thats sort of defeating the purpose of simplicity.

Plus, in one of the videos, when he pulls the stylus out, it is so fast and clumsy that you can hardly tell where it comes from. I admit I only watched it a couple times, and didnt pay too much attention. Did anyone see the 'hole' after it was pulled out? Plus, if it was an iPod prototype, it would explain why there was a haedphone jack.

Finally, the OS of the 'iWalk' was way too old school for Apple's new look and feel. At least, I thought so.

What does everyone else think?

lera

macrumors member
Dec 26, 2001
Thankyou arn I was about to tel them where it came from. I'm glad someone with a little more political weight did it for me. :)

[Edited by lera on 01-04-2002 at 03:01 AM]

amichalo

macrumors regular
Dec 19, 2001
iPod prototype explains a bunch

So if it was a prototype for the iPod, then it explains the name, which I don't equate with a PDA (much the way I don't equate iPod with music, or Boy Bands for that matter).

But seriously, I would be surprised if that was a prototype for the iPod given it's huge screen and a writing implement. Why dedicate such resources in terms of form factor and power drain to a huge screen for an MP3 player? And the stylus makes no sense.

I can see wanting the scroll and a stylus though, not to challenge agreenster, but I like the option - sometimes you feel like a nut, you know?

johnesco

macrumors newbie
Jan 4, 2002
iWalk looks... hmm familiar

I'm tellin' you guys...

That was just a Franklin eBookMan with some extra plastic on it :)

But a well and a stylus make sense though...
The Sony "clique" or whatever has a stylus and a jog wheel.

Durandal7

macrumors 68040
Feb 24, 2001
iPod prototype

I never thought of it being an iPod prototype. It makes sense that it's an earlier design. It seems like an iPod where the jog dial doesn't have as much control as it does now so it needed a stylus. Apple may have scrapped this design in favor of the current model with it's intuitive interface that does not need a stylus. (I still think it's fake though)

[Edited by asurace on 01-05-2002 at 12:16 AM]

Durandal7

macrumors 68040
Feb 24, 2001
About the iWalk name being taken, that doesn't prove anything. Remember all the people saying that the name iPod was impossible because intel made something named that. It's still a fake though.

eyelikeart

Moderator emeritus
Jan 2, 2001
Metairie, LA
oops!

I just posted in another thread on this same subject...

sorry, I'm just getting back to current threads, as the site was almost shut down most of today... :eek:

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.