Become a MacRumors Supporter for $25/year with no ads, private forums, and more!

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001
A site has posted what appears to be the fabled iWalk movie. My god---if this thing is real... Rebirth of the Newton. Take a look!! (View it now--not on spymac.com yet, apparently!)

Note from moderator: The links in this thread to the iWalk movie and its site no longer work and have been removed. For more information about the iWalk movie, see this thread and this thread.

A

AudiA4

Holy cow...that's no fake.

I cannot believe what I'm seeing. I don't believe there's any way that could be a fake.

I'm currently a Newton Messagepad 2000 user, and I was about to buy a Pocket PC (w/ PocketMac sync software) and thought I ought to wait for MWSF just in case. The Newton is by far the best PDA ever made, and I'd been hopelessly dreaming that Steve would ressurect it.

Well folks, it appears that my dreams have come true. And for all of you dorks who think Apple shouldn't design a PDA as a part of a digital hub are clueless. There's no other device that typifies a component of a digital hub better than a PDA. And who better to deliver the goods than Apple.

MacUser1

macrumors 6502
Aug 23, 2001
CT
if this is real...

I've been waiting to purchase a new PDA and I was unsure what to get. If this is real, I'll be the first in line to purchase it.

I

i_should_register

All I can say is WOW! That would be REALLY hard to fake. I'm glad I didn't buy a PDA, but I may begin to regret buying my pen-tablet pc (at least I don't use windows on it).

kishba

macrumors 6502a
Dec 11, 2001
Michigan
it certainly looks real... but what is that odd "scroll?" thing at the bottom w/apple logo....

i cant believe it

arn

macrumors god
Staff member
Apr 9, 2001
this is insane...

I would order this right now...

It looks clearly like and updated Newton OS!

mod edit: the link that was here is no longer available

arn

elgruga

macrumors 6502
Dec 31, 2001
Canada
I have been examining this for the last 10 minutes - it looks real!

Its got to have some music capacity, its beautiful too!

The top line looks like my old Newton though......the all notes bit is exactly Newton.
Then again, they still have the Newton software - it never did get sold or anything......

Hmmm. This is turning into an insane week of speculation. The guys at my grocery store here in Vancouver were all coming up with their guesses for MWSF. All grinning and saying, hey isnt it fun, and getting excited!

Only Apple can do this. I love it!

rekras

macrumors regular
Sep 3, 2001
NJ
definately fake...
spymac is the same place that put out those fake ipod pictures right before it's release as well. although they obviously put extensive time and effort into this (job well done) there's no way apple could have let pictures, let alone movies escape their top secret grip. but this is a testimate to how devoted we are to our great computer company, apple. not only do we speculate and anticipate like crazy we make fake commercials, mock product renderings, and now we even build mock products themselves.
I can't think of any other computer company that has fans like us, let alone any other company at all. Apple is a rock band and we're the groupies.

-on second thought after watching the video a few times that thing may really be real, what the hell is going on. god this is an exciting time to be a mac user!!!

[Edited by rekras on 01-03-2002 at 12:07 AM]

A

AudiA4

As exciting as this is - a few drawbacks

1 - It's not color (apparently)
2 - It's not all that small, which was one detriment of the Newton. Of course, the large screen was also it's genius, so we'll see.

Regardless, if it's from Apple, it will be exceptional. I'll place my order Monday.

p.s. Anyone notice how fast it recognized the handwriting? Certainly faster than my current Newton Messagepad 2000 (of course, this is adjustable).

arn

macrumors god
Staff member
Apr 9, 2001
it looks color to me.... there's a blue sidebar and battery level in the thumbs (see link above)

arn

elgruga

macrumors 6502
Dec 31, 2001
Canada
iWalk - WOW!

Check out the thumbnails - this is wild!

If this is a fake - I dont want real!

Yeah - they've bought Palm and built this with Newton software, and and and...........amazing!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

And there's still 5 days to go!

kirknord

macrumors newbie
Jan 2, 2002
If this is real

I really hope that there is a way to sync all the info from my Handspring Visor!

I

i_should_register

New movie

They are uploading a 2nd movie right now (510k so far)

A

AudiA4

Always-on internet

As much as I'm tickled to death with this new device (and will order one promptly), you guys all know that Steve cannot depend on delivering another simple, albeit elegant PDA. We should probably expect "always on" internet - combining the best of a PDA (the best PDA) with the always on messaging of a RIM Blackberry.

EVERYONE would have to have it then.

I

Ive

iWalk is for real!

It is almost impossible to render the details of the hand reflection on the Apple logo with an average desktop computer nor have the time to do it.

This is just great, I'm gonna be in debt this year. Thanks Apple!

A

Antoine

I'd say it is fake.

Watch the quicktime movie carefully.

The recognized text is not stable on the screen. It sorts of jump around, as if it were edited/added after the movie shot of a fake-plastic Apple pda mockup. (great mockup though!)

Don't get me wrong. I'd love to see Apple come up with a PDA. I just don't want to get my hopes too high and then be disapointed... Please tell me I am wrong!

A

AudiA4

Have you seen the video of them picking it up? Absolutely real.

That movie is for real - sound and all. The guy picks it up, turns it over and shows you the manufacturing stamp, UL listing, etc. There's even a "thunk" as it sits down. I never believed Steve would resurrect the Newton, but it's obvious he has. Halleluha bretheren!

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.