iWork, iPhoto, and iMovie are now free if you qualify [Merged]

Discussion in 'iOS 7' started by MauerFan, Sep 18, 2013.

1. MauerFan, Sep 18, 2013
    Last edited: Sep 18, 2013

MauerFan macrumors regular

Just checked all of the apps in the App Store, because I was wondering when they'd be free and now they are! Just a heads up if folks are wondering.

ALSO: I am able to download them to my iPad, so if you have other iOS devices you're in luck! It looks like iPhoto won't download to my iPad, unless I pay for it. Not sure if that will change in the morning or not. iPhoto ended up changing, so now I have all 5 on my iPod touch and iPad mini :D

2. starstreak macrumors 6502

Nope still says I need to buy them. I checked from the phone. Maybe free only on the laptop?

3. MauerFan thread starter macrumors regular

Weird. I was on my 5g touch and it worked. Remember, you need to have bought it and activated after Sept. 1.

4. starstreak macrumors 6502

5. benji888 macrumors 65816

benji888

These are only free to new idevice purchases, not those of us who got iPhone 5 last year and are putting iOS 7 on this year, for instance.

iWork is still available (in beta) on computer in iCloud for free, but, that might only be for the beta versions.

6. Nevaborn macrumors 65816

Nevaborn

Cook should of been smart about iWorks they are great but very expensive. When he said tey were free the hall at the conference went mad then he said for new devices and it died.

He should of made an executive decision on the spot and said either free for all and give a real star of the event to stick to competitors or say that for existing customers they will be in a celebration bundle in the app store for a reduced price.

Its the sort of thing Steve would of done on hearing crowd reaction.

7. iCarabma macrumors 6502

This is the nuttiest "Steve would have" ever.

Just lunacy.

8. jbachandouris macrumors 68040

jbachandouris

Just bought an iPad 4 a few days ago. Updated to iOS 7 and they're still not free.

9. Gen macrumors 6502a

Gen

Free iWork, iPhoto, and iMovie for iPhone 5

Just logged into the App Store after updating to iOS7 and got prompted to download all the free apps that Apple makes. Included are iPhoto, iWork, and iMovie. Odd since Apple said they'd only be available for free on new devices.

Attached Files:

10. ideal.dreams macrumors 68020

ideal.dreams

I thought they were free on newly activated devices running iOS 7, not just the new iPhones. But in any case, it's still odd that you got them (unless you just activated a new phone running iOS 7 :p).

11. Gen macrumors 6502a

Gen

Could be - I did just have my iPhone 5 replaced two weeks ago. Maybe that's why?

12. kaielement macrumors 65816

Funny did the update on my iPad and no such luck. Could it be because I updated from beta?

13. Carlanga macrumors 604

Carlanga

Any new device comp w. iOS7 starting on sept 1 their first activation will get them. Your new one was activated for the first time in that time frame so yeah you get them.

His was new/refurbished from 2 weeks ago, so the thread can be closed if the OP requests it since it doesn't apply to any other iPhone 5 that wasn't activated for the first time this month.

14. batting1000 macrumors 604

Yep, any device activated after September 1.

15. danrad macrumors member

I got the same offer on my three-week-old iPad. I didn't get it on my older iPhone 5, but could download the apps for free by going to them individually.

16. ELSELS macrumors member

3 week old iPad - Running whic iOS version? (6 or 7)

Hello:

So, did your 3 week old iPad, (have originally iOS 6, NOT iOS 7)?

If so, then I am "guessing". once you upgraded to iOS 7, then you were presented with the FREE offers, is that correct? :)

Thanks,

Have a nice day...

Ed

17. kgenova macrumors 6502a

kgenova

So, if you get the free apps on a newly activated device, will you be able to install them for free on your other, non-new, devices?

18. jbachandouris macrumors 68040

jbachandouris

Really? My iPad is only a few days old and I did not get that prompt. WTH?

19. TrenttonY macrumors 6502a

I got a new a brand new iPhone 5 September 5 and did a computer update to iOS 7 and didn't get a free apps prompt! I'm mad!

20. Tyler23 macrumors 603

Tyler23

Contact Apple? They'll make sure to help you.

You said you didn't get the prompt. Have you tried looking up the apps in the app store to see if they were free or still asked for payment?

And is this a new phone you bought from Apple or a 3rd party? I know you said brand new, but was it really brand new, unwrapped?

21. danrad macrumors member

Aha. My iPad was activated on Sept. 1. Good thing my wife didn't give my birthday present to me early!

----------

Yes, you can.

22. jbachandouris macrumors 68040

jbachandouris

Restored my new iPad and success! Free iWork's! Off to wait in line for the 5s. So tired...

23. ELSELS macrumors member

:)

24. TrenttonY macrumors 6502a

Yes, and Yes.

25. TroyBoy30 macrumors 68000

TroyBoy30

cool. i just got a replacement 5 last week also and they are showing as free