J.C. Penny's runs same-sex Father's Day ad

Discussion in 'Politics, Religion, Social Issues' started by aristobrat, Jun 1, 2012.

1. aristobrat macrumors G4

[​IMG]

http://now.msn.com/money/0531-jcpenney-same-sex-fathers-day.aspx

This makes me want to support them (by shopping there), and if any Million Moms are reading this, the more negative backlash Penny's gets over this ad, the more money I'll spend! :p :D

2. GoCubsGo macrumors Nehalem

GoCubsGo

Well good for them. I don't shop there and can't see what I'd want from there but good for them all the same.

3. roadbloc macrumors G3

roadbloc

4. SwiftLives macrumors 65816

SwiftLives

This will definitely give JC Penney some (much needed) free publicity. The trick will be if they can translate that publicity into sales. Unfortunately, I don't think this ad is going to have much of an effect either way. Their problems run a bit deeper.

That being said, I absolutely love the ad.

5. leekohler macrumors G5

leekohler

I would go to one if there was one around. I've not seen JC Penney in Chicago.

6. roadbloc macrumors G3

roadbloc

You would go on the basis of the ad?

7. AFPoster macrumors 65816

JC Penny sucks as a department store, just my opinion. So many other stores to go to that are better. Where I'm at our JCPenny is run down and just looks poor and it's in an expensive area which is the odd part. Had to go their for southern style clothing for a horse race to no avail. Fortunately, Nordstrom was next door so that did the trick.

As for the ad - I really think they did this to cause a controversy and get people into the store, especially since the states that passed Amendment 1 caused such a rift between the gay community. What I love seeing is all these death threats that people send, I mean seriously, death threats? Is it that serious of an issue that death threats are warranted? We have people fighting overseas for our country and we can't get over a stupid vote... Shows our countries maturity....

8. leekohler macrumors G5

leekohler

Yep- give support where it's due.

I'm confused. Only one state passed Amendment 1- North Carolina.

Secondly- you obviously don't know much about advertising. This ad would have had to be planned months ago, well before the vote.

Also, which side of the debate are you on?

9. aristobrat thread starter macrumors G4

Isn't that exactly why Ron Johnson left as head of Apple Retail to be head of JC Penny's? The challenge of rebuilding a once iconic brand that has long since lost its allure...

10. 184550 Guest

He might have been alluding to the other 29 states that have have passed amendments or laws banning same-sex marriage/ unions/ etc...

11. Happybunny macrumors 68000

Good for them.
    It reminds me of the United colors of Benetton, adverts here in Europe back in the early 1990's. :D

12. leekohler macrumors G5

leekohler

Perhaps, I guess we'll see.

And here we are, two decades behind.

13. barkomatic macrumors 68040

It's surprising but very welcome that J.C. Penny ran these ads. I have to say their ad campaigns in general have been much more memorable and quirky than the other bland department stores.

I have the effort also translates into a refreshed retail experience at the stores themselves.

14. NickZac macrumors 68000

NickZac

Well I rarely buy clothes but next time I do I'll be sure to give them business.

15. rdowns macrumors Penryn

rdowns

My new job is way more casual dress than any other I've had so I need some new digs. I plan on visiting JCP for the first time ever tomorrow.

16. skunk macrumors G4

skunk

New digs? Over here, that means a new place to live. You are very strange people.

17. rdowns macrumors Penryn

rdowns

Indeed. :)

18. decksnap macrumors 68040

decksnap

No not necessarily or at all. This could be put together and inserted into a buy in a matter of weeks. Considering their whole new image I don't see this as a reactive thing, just one 'slice of life' image among many.

Yep.

19. rdowns macrumors Penryn

rdowns

I see this as Ron Johnson telling the Million Moms to go **** themselves.

20. decksnap macrumors 68040

decksnap

Ha,yes. I can see that.

21. leekohler macrumors G5

leekohler

That would be highly unusual and very expensive. Besides:

http://global.christianpost.com/new...nst-jc-penneys-same-sex-fathers-day-ad-75901/

It was far from last minute.

22. decksnap macrumors 68040

decksnap

nope. But ok.

23. Ugg macrumors 68000

Ugg

That's exactly what I was going to say. It's great to see the ads but it's too bad it has taken so long.

24. Grey Beard macrumors 65816

Grey Beard

I have heard of new duds. Perhaps this is the meaning he sought, as in new clothes.

KGB:cool:

25. leekohler macrumors G5

leekohler

For a catalog, which is what we're talking about in this case, a last minute change like that would be quite pricey. I've been in the business over 13 years. I've seen what a change like that can cost.