J. Crew Boy with Pink Toe Nails Controversy

Discussion in 'Politics, Religion, Social Issues' started by DakotaGuy, Apr 13, 2011.

1. DakotaGuy macrumors 68040

DakotaGuy

I was watching GMA this morning when they covered this so called controversy...

From ABC News:

Read the entire article below:

http://abcnews.go.com/Health/crew-ad-boy-painting-toenails-pink-stirs-transgender/story?id=13358903

In my opinion this is just silly. Why not be happy that mom is spending time with her son? He is just a boy having fun and I don't think things like this are going to have any effect on his life or if he grows up to be straight or gay. If they showed a little girl playing in the mud with toy trucks would there be the same outrage? I doubt it.

2. Chundles macrumors G4

Chundles

He can't "grow up to be gay" or "grow up to be straight" - they're encoded in your DNA.

What the really pressing matter is if the kid will grow up to be a hipster...

3. SwiftLives macrumors 65816

SwiftLives

Where's the outrage when a young girl dresses up as a boy?

4. barkomatic macrumors 68040

I saw this on the Today Show this morning as well and I just rolled my eyes when I learned that there are people outraged over that ad--but I'm not surprised at all.

It was especially surreal for me as I had just went to go see "Billy Elliot" last night. :) I remember during the show thinking, "Thank God, we don't have narrow mindedness like this anymore". Silly, silly me. *sigh*

For what its worth, when my little brother and I were growing up he wanted a doll house. My Mom thought about it and went ahead and got him one--and he loved playing with it. I preferred my matchbox cars and legos.

Well, he turned out to be straight and I turned out to be gay.

5. AP_piano295 macrumors 65816

HAHAHAHA, last time I checked a person having their toe nails painted does not equate to altering their sexuality.

I mean the kid might be embarrassed when he gets a little older but I'm fairly confident the mom isn't "gaying" her kid :rolleyes:.

6. obeygiant macrumors 68040

obeygiant

Why doesn't she just put pink lipstick on the kid because its her favorite color?

Personally I don't know any gay guys who wear toenail polish or lipstick. AFAIK the only thing that makes you gay is when you have sex with the same gender and even then its not for sure.

I think the ad is stupid regardless though, just model the the clothes stop putting nail polish on stuff!!!

7. AP_piano295 macrumors 65816

Wait are you saying that bs stereotypes about sexuality are not important or meaningful factors in a persons actual sexuality :eek:.

8. ender land macrumors 6502a

It took to the last sentence of the article but my question was finally mentioned in the article.

If I was worried about making someone gay by painting their toenails bright pink, the color would be the least of my worries - simply the fact that someone was painting my son's toenails would be more concerning.

9. Peterkro macrumors 68020

Peterkro

Deliberate attempt at stirring up controversy by some scuzzy PR person who being disconnected from reality thinks people give a ***** what sort of ads this company runs.(it works to some extent as I've never heard of J Crew and even now don't know what they sell)

10. obeygiant macrumors 68040

obeygiant

The only way to officially make yourself gay is to paint your toenails with sparkly rainbow nail polish-- at least thats what I've heard! lol

11. eawmp1 macrumors 601

eawmp1

Good news! If she removes it he'll be straight again. There IS a cure.

:rolleyes:

12. codymac macrumors 6502

Nah, but it might indicate he's a budding crossdresser.

This is far more important!
    :D

13. chrismacguy macrumors 68000

Hmmm, maybe its time for an AP "Press Release"... (At least judging by their latest nonsense about GE giving money back)... since not only is this factually wrong, but its definitely hilarious to even contemplate it being true (The only thing that may happen is the kid gets picked on for being gay in 10 years time. Hopefully by then the world has finally grown up to the stage of homosexuality, transsexuality, etc all just being accepted as a matter of course. Although I doubt it.)

14. plinden macrumors 68040

plinden

Oh noes! Last week my six year old daughter "did" my hair with braids and hair ties. Does that mean I'm going to become gay? Or is it only nail polish that makes you gay?

I don't want to fancy men ... my wife is enough for me.

15. leekohler macrumors G5

leekohler

How silly. If the kid wants to paint his toenails pink, let him. It doesn't mean he's gay. I'm a big ol' jock who played with a GI Joe (and was very upset he was not anatomically correct :)) and Captain America when I was a kid and I'm a homo. It means nothing. Gay people comes in all forms, just like all other people. When is this country gonna move on?

16. chrismacguy macrumors 68000

Yes, Yes it does. You need to file divorce papers, move to San Francisco and start bouncing around like Big Gay Al' right away. You have no choice.

17. leekohler macrumors G5

leekohler

I would actually like to see that. :)

18. plinden macrumors 68040

plinden

Cool, I'm already in San Francisco so I was a large part of the way there before my daughter made me totally gay.

19. chrismacguy macrumors 68000

Actually so would I.... I amend my original order, you must also YouTube this, because we need documentation of your conversion to the right side of the fence ;)

Also - leekohler - its not just you who was upset male dolls like G.I.Joe weren't anatomically correct :D

Looks like she didn't have much work to do. But it has been done! - Go forth and bounce!

20. arkitect macrumors 601

arkitect

*raises hand*
    Me as well.
    In the Battle of the Bulge even Barbie had him beat.

21. leekohler macrumors G5

leekohler

It was confusing and disappointing. :)

22. iJohnHenry macrumors P6

iJohnHenry

Reading comprehension test follows.

23. dukebound85 macrumors P6

dukebound85

I suppose the mom wanted a daughter deep down

24. chrismacguy macrumors 68000

What the mom wants deep down has nothing to do with it. The boy likes pink and likes having his nails painted. That has sod all to do with what his mom wants/wanted/will want. Honestly.

25. shingi70 macrumors regular

I don't think she's trying to make her son gay. I mean favorite color has nothing to do with ones sexual orientation. I'm however not a fan of paint of a boys toes (i dpnt like nail poilsh on kids that anyway as its never professional done and looks alittle sloppy)

even if my son did turn out gay i wouwouldn't want him to wear anything like that.