Jackie Gleason: Dick Nixon's time has come!

Discussion in 'Politics, Religion, Social Issues' started by aaronvan, Dec 12, 2014.

1. aaronvan Suspended

aaronvan

Ralph said, "Straight to the moon, Alice!" and Nixon took him at his word (with a little help from JFK.)

http://vimeo.com/4182735

2. localoid macrumors 68020

localoid

"I would not like to be a Russian leader. They never know when they're being taped." – President Richard Nixon

3. aaronvan thread starter Suspended

aaronvan

I wouldn't buy a used car from Richard Nixon unless he was drunk.

4. senseless macrumors 68000

senseless

What a time capsule. It really illustrates the divide in the country at the time, a pivotal period. The "Nixonaires", a "bank of girls" is taking your pledges.

As far as celebrity endorsements, this is a good lesson. They may come back to haunt you!

5. Southern Dad macrumors 65816

Southern Dad

One huge difference between back then and now, it was Richard M Nixon's own party, the Republicans that demanded his resignation. Nixon knew that even though the Democrats didn't have the 2/3rds majority required to remove him from office, enough Republicans would cross over that he was toast.

6. aaronvan thread starter Suspended

aaronvan

Also, RN was the most liberal president since FDR.

7. localoid macrumors 68020

localoid

It's really an oversimplification to claim that. I was an adult when Nixon was in office and felt he was a real SOB on many social issues. Nixon and his VP constantly whined about pointy headed liberals while in office, usually blaming them for the holes he'd dug himself into... :rolleyes:

8. Renzatic Suspended

Renzatic

Gramps, what the hell am I paying you for?
    He's left an interesting legacy. While not exactly our smoothest, most eloquent president ever, and probably a little too paranoid for his own good, he's directly responsible for more a few programs and initiatives that are still benefiting us to this day. One thing's for sure, he wasn't as terrible a president as people believed him to be at the time.

If it weren't for him losing the battle against his personal demons, Nixon likely would've ended up being one of our more fondly remembered presidents.

9. aaronvan thread starter Suspended

aaronvan

What? You're a nattering nabob of negativism! :D

10. localoid macrumors 68020

localoid

King Dick appealed to the "Archie Bunker types" of his day. If you're too young to have lived as an adult during the reign of King Dick one of the better history books to read (that doesn't white-wash the era) is "Stayin’ Alive: The 1970s and the Last Days of the Working Class" by Jefferson R. Cowie.

11. Renzatic Suspended

Renzatic

I wasn't even a sparkle in my parent's eyes during his presidency, so no, I don't have much of a recollection of it all. :p

I'll check that book out, though. You're right, it's all the distant past to me, and people do have a tendency to remember things as being far better (or sometimes far worse) than what they actually were. We might be looking at him through an idealized lens.

12. aaronvan thread starter Suspended

aaronvan

I barely--just barely--remember fragments of the 1972 presidential election. I vividly remember sitting at Grandma's house watching Nixon's resignation speech in '74 when I was 10.

13. Renzatic Suspended

Renzatic

In 74, I was around...let's see...-5, give or take. When I was 10, the big political hoolabaloo was the dismantling of the Berlin Wall, and soon after, the fall of communism.

14. localoid macrumors 68020

localoid

Nixon did accomplish several good things while in office and compared to most of today's GOP he comes out, in general, smelling like a rose but he always seemed to be part drunken madman and part lying, manipulative SOB that would turn in his own grandmother to the Gestapo if he thought doing so would get him out of a jam or win him some brownie points with John Q. Public. :eek: