Jackie Robinson West Scandal

Discussion in 'Politics, Religion, Social Issues' started by AustinIllini, Feb 11, 2015.

1. AustinIllini macrumors demi-god

AustinIllini

2. Bug-Creator macrumors 6502

Bug-Creator

"Unites States World Series Champions"

!!!!MURICA!!!!!!

3. sim667 macrumors 65816

It reminds the of the scandal portrayed in the Mighty Ducks.

'MURICA!!!!!!

4. Technarchy macrumors 603

Technarchy

5. rdowns macrumors Penryn

rdowns

6. jnpy!$4g3cwk macrumors 65816

jnpy!$4g3cwk

The unholy combination of TV money and Little League dads. Looks ugly.

7. lowendlinux Contributor

lowendlinux

My only problem with this is the kids loose the title for something they didn't do, know about, or condone. They have in essence punished the kids for the sins of the father.

8. rdowns macrumors Penryn

rdowns

Come on. Kids know who lives in the neighborhood and who doesn't.

----------

That would be a fair criticism of professional baseball but the Little League World Series is indeed a worldwide competition.

9. aaronvan Suspended

aaronvan

'Twas ever thus.

10. AustinIllini thread starter macrumors demi-god

AustinIllini

In an age often criticized for the "everyone gets a trophy mentality", this is the opposite, worse aspect.

Their parents and coaches cheated. Time to learn a valuable lesson.

The bigger problem is the excessive money we put into little league on ESPN. I don't know how anyone can be comfortable with the current little league situation.

11. lowendlinux Contributor

lowendlinux

If they controlled the coaches then it would be a valuable lesson since it's the reverse they'll view it a punishing success. (or I would)I guess I would prefer this handled out of the public view where things can be explained outside the newspapers.

I just don't know the right or good answer heck I don't know if there is a right or good answer.

12. xmichaelp macrumors 68000

xmichaelp

Get back to me when some other country can beat Americans at Baseball or (the good version of) Football.

Americans won't get mad if some other country wants to call themselves the world champions and cricket or rugby.

13. bradl macrumors 68040

bradl

Get back to us when Americans actually use their feet with football, don't wear padding, don't have to stop and plan a play before executing it, don't have to have a gut hanging over your uniform, kick at various angles, kick for distance, and kick with your non-preferred foot. Then we could have a discussion.

Those sports are played more around the world, where Gridiron isn't. Just like baseball, it doesn't have much penetration around the world. Japan at the most for football (European league? absolute failure). Baseball: parts of Latin America and Japan.

I'd take one of the linemen in rugby any day over an overweight guy from gridiron.

Oh.. for the record: I'm American.

BL.

14. Bug-Creator macrumors 6502

Bug-Creator

The difference is quite simple:

Countries representing some 99.9% of global population (including the US) particpate in the WorldCup (most just won't make it to the final round obviously).

US style "World Series" ? Might find some Canadians in the mix, but thats all.

Bout Little League being playing round the world, well it's the 1st time I ever heard of that, should give you a hint about how much the actual world cares about US sports.

15. rdowns macrumors Penryn

rdowns

Over 26% of MLB players are foreign born. They must be playing baseball somewhere.

As for the LLWS, plenty of non-US teams compete and win.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Little_League_World_Series#Little_League_World_Series_champions

16. DonJudgeMe macrumors regular

I don't know what is more sad:

The fact that a Little League baseball team was stripped of a title because of boundary policies...

OR

Parents and coaches knowingly cheated to win a LLWS?:confused:

Poor kids.

----------

Oh brother. Get over it. You have already admitted to not watching American football and knowing nothing about the players. Which means, you have no idea what shape a lineman needs to be in.

This is America. No one cares about rugby.

17. bradl, Feb 11, 2015
    Last edited: Feb 11, 2015

bradl macrumors 68040

bradl

I have to agree with this. Regardless of where they were, to nevertheless had to have worked that hard, day in and day out, to win, then have that taken away is psychologically damaging, but does their entire team and individually a world of hurt to their confidence. If they were older, they could shake it off, but we are talking kids here.

Right now, they have to be asking questions that don't have answers.

Regardless of what happened, hearts definitely have to go out to the kids.

I didn't say I didn't know anything about the players. I grew up in Nebraska, where the state religion is college football; Class A, B, and C schools there are nearly built around a football curriculum, to where no-one lives there without knowing everything about the game.

I've had it shoved down my throat nearly my entire life (my father coached a team, my mother was sports director for her high schools, which one of her students was on the Huskers team that won the national championship in 1995, as well as the G.B. Packers side in 1996 that won a Super Bowl with Favre).

Just because I'm tired of it and found more exciting football codes to follow does not mean that I don't know anything about the game here nor what goes into the game here.

BL.

18. skottichan macrumors 6502a

skottichan

Actually, there's a fair number of players on the 2015 starting rosters who were born outside of US/Canada (around 214 out of a total of 750). They range from Central/South American countries like Cuba, Dominican Republic, Ecuador to even Brazil. There's also a large Asian contingency from countries like Japan, Taiwan, and Korea.

Hell, there's even European representatives from Germany, Netherlands and hell there's even an Italian (Alessandro Liddi).

Also, the Little League World Series is pretty big, some of the preliminary games are played near my apartment (I wanna say that the Eastern Regionals are here again in 2015). I've seen the global media representatives rolling around town.

Fun bit of trivia, Taiwan holds the most LLWS championships at 17. Out of the last 5 champions 3 were from Japan, 1 from the US and last year's winner was the Seoul team.

19. DonJudgeMe macrumors regular

I may have or may not have purposefully provoked that response.:D

I know you know. I was just kidding. I forgot the smiley. :D:D:D;)

20. DonJudgeMe macrumors regular

Very true. I would argue that a majority of the world's best baseball players play in the MLB right now. It has come far in the past 30 years.

21. senseless macrumors 68000

senseless

Cheating is not ok. Finally, a good message for kids.

22. bradl macrumors 68040

bradl

A good message for the kids, at the cost of the award the kids achieved through their work.

If anything, the message and punishment should be geared toward the parents, coaches, and those responsible for the cheating, as well as the anger and ire of the kids. It's them who owe the kids, and an explanation as to why they failed them.

BL.

23. senseless macrumors 68000

senseless

Right, but no consequences is no lesson. And it's unfair to all the other teams who worked hard also.

24. xmichaelp macrumors 68000

xmichaelp

Get back to me when Soccer isn't just running around for a couple hours all for a score of 1-0. :p

Soccer will never being as exciting as this years Super Bowl or the NFC Championship game that's for sure.

25. Don't panic macrumors 603

Don't panic

you must have not watched much soccer in your life ;)