Jacqui Smith strikes again: Lap dance laws 'to be tightened'

Discussion in 'Politics, Religion, Social Issues' started by edesignuk, Nov 28, 2008.

1. edesignuk Moderator emeritus

edesignuk

BBC.

The whole country is depressed, and you're gonna stay that way.

We'll bang you up for 5 five years for smoking a bit of weed, and those lap dancing clubs are just an outrage.

Bring on the multi-billion pound ID cards so we can keep track of all you tax paying drug crazed sex addicts. Evil, EVIL!

2. iBlue macrumors Core

iBlue

Honestly? I am starting to hate her as much as I hate(d) George Bush. She really is a c*** through and through.

3. iGav macrumors G3

That's nothing other than plain old fashioned misandry.

4. edesignuk thread starter Moderator emeritus

edesignuk

5. Blue Velvet Moderator emeritus

Do you think that lap dancing clubs are harmless?

6. edesignuk thread starter Moderator emeritus

edesignuk

Pretty much, mostly.

<prepares to be told otherwise> ;)

7. Blue Velvet Moderator emeritus

Then I suggest you read the article instead of being so sure.

8. Abstract macrumors Penryn

Abstract

9. iBlue macrumors Core

iBlue

I wouldn't say harmless but I would leave it up to the dancers to decide for themselves. I for one am tired of all the sanitation and control the government are having over us, when does it ever frickin end?

And the experience of the dancers are not universal. One may feel it is degrading, another may find it perfectly fine and even empowering. I know a few who felt only the latter.

10. edesignuk thread starter Moderator emeritus

edesignuk

Too much to read, think I'll just shoot off to the White Horse instead, it's only down the road :D

11. stomer macrumors 6502a

If the government says lap dancing clubs are not harmless, and have data to back that up, then I'm willing to listen. Anyway, the 'danger' inherent in lap dancing clubs isn't the reason why they are suggesting that there should be more regulation.
    Jacqui Smith is saying that feedback from local councils and locals are that they don't want them on their doorstep. She didn't go much further than that.

But then she says "that's a rate of growth I don't want to continue seeing in the future". I don't understand why the "rate of growth" itself is a problem. I also wonder if she has a personal issue with lap dancing clubs, because it didn't sound like local councils were complaining about the 'rate of growth'.

12. Lau Guest

Much as I think Jacqui is a proper fanny and the ID card plans are horrific, surely this is just going to regulate lap dancing clubs better to presumably try to avoid the problems as mentioned in the article BV linked to?

They clearly do have issues that bars and clubs don't have that bring them more in line to be under the same regulation to protect their workers as other sex establishments, which is what this is proposing. I don't see a problem with this.

13. edesignuk thread starter Moderator emeritus

edesignuk

You can't try to rationalise her, it's all just part of her job to be an interfering kill joy busy body.

14. iBlue macrumors Core

iBlue

THAT is going too far. Stripping and even lap dancing does not necessarily mean any sort of "sexual encounter", and clubs that go nude having to apply for some sort of very expensive difficult to get license which implies that sexual encounters may happen is going a bit far. Fine, maybe a little regulation on where they are allowed to open up could be in order but if they are crying foul over stigmatising women, this is doing exactly that but in a worse way.

I know a few strippers and they love their jobs. The ones that don't are always free to leave.

15. stomer macrumors 6502a

From what I've understood, the extra regulation has nothing to do with making the working conditions of lap dancers any better. The new regulations will give local authorities more power to stop lap dancing clubs developing in residential areas.

16. Blue Velvet Moderator emeritus

I guess to maintain a rate of growth, they have to go somewhere, in some council's area. It's not about banning them; it's about relicensing them and like it or not, premises for all sorts of activities are licensed in one way or the other in the UK. I have no problem with these proposed changes; the fact that Peter Stringfellow is against them is a clear sign that the goverment may be onto something.

My youngest sister worked in a hostess bar here in London for a number of years. As punters, which I guess most of the people who are here on MacRumors would be, you're lead to believe that the industry is just a bit of harmless fun, because if it wasn't then it wouldn't be seen as so glamourous. You know, you can have your guilt-free fun... except it isn't always like that. So it's probably best to recognise and legislate for the full reality rather than the lad's mag version.

17. mkrishnan Moderator emeritus

mkrishnan

The article does provide some good evidence. I think one of the biggest problems with this kind of thing is a second layer of hidden sexism that perpetuates business like strip clubs. The article makes the point that this whole business is damaging to men, and provides evidence of this, which I firmly believe in also. But they clearly don't take this aspect of the issue at all seriously -- this evidence is buried two thirds of the way into a long, drawn out article. And even when talking about how strip clubs impact men, they take quotes from the stripper and not from any actual men who've been impacted by this practice. If men actually understood / believed that this was bad for them, and not just indirectly because it was bad for women, it would really help lessen the appeal of this sort of thing.

The reality is that things like strip clubs are an organized industry that exploit both women and men. Most men don't go to strip clubs. Lots of men don't even find them particularly appealing. The over-simplified logic that men as consumers are at fault for this and that women as employees are exploited is tragically oversimplified on both ends, but it's perpetuated by the underlying idea that women have essentially no control over themselves, and are thus always victims of whatever circumstance into which they fall, while men have absolute control over themselves in all situations, and are therefore always at fault for whatever circumstances into which they step. Both of those ideas are utterly ridiculous.

(Okay, and one of us is going to have to put this thread in the PRSI... me or you? :p )

18. Blue Velvet Moderator emeritus

You make good points... but I was musing about my grocery list, wondering whether to keep my nails long and checking out some other sites to see what's up with the world. I'm done. :)

19. leekohler macrumors G5

leekohler

Completely silly. We have idiots in the city who think that sex shops shouldn't be able to open in their neighborhoods.Hello! It's THE CITY! If you don't like it, move back to the damn suburbs. Leave the rest of us sane people alone. BTW- the sex shops won.

Sorry BV, Jacqui Smith is full of sh**. And I see nothing in this article about protecting workers. It's all about restricting where these places can open, and it's BS.

If you want to see laws proposed to protect said workers, that's great and I'm all for it. But that's not what Jacqui Smith is doing here.

20. stomer macrumors 6502a

I do believe that worker's rights should protected, whether you're a lap dancer or a programmer, it shouldn't matter. The law should cover everyone. If lap dancers or whatever need additional protection, then I'm all for it. It's just that's not what Jacqui Smith is proposing.

21. Lord Blackadder macrumors G5

Lord Blackadder

I admire much about the UK, but I feel that, whereas the US government leans towards too much individual liberty at times, the UK government leans in the opposite direction...a bit too much of a nanny state IMO.

22. BoyBach macrumors 68040

BoyBach

What is it with becoming Home Secretary that turns otherwise sensible people into Daily Mail ideologues?

Can we now be rid of this awful government, please?

23. edesignuk thread starter Moderator emeritus

edesignuk

I say we burn the witch :D

Time for some V for Vendetta style action.

24. Queso macrumors G4

Yep. It's now time for a different awful government. We need a new direction to moan about.