macrumors god
Original poster
Staff member
Apr 9, 2001

G4scott

macrumors 68020
Jan 9, 2002
Austin, TX
I just installed it, and it's worth every penny! Now I can share my epson printer without a hitch!

Just one question: Is anyone else having problems with drag-and-drop? I can't drag any items in Finder, and it's really annoying. It worked on my G4, but not on my iBook...

RogueLdr

macrumors regular
Jul 22, 2002
People's Republic of Ann Arbor
Curious about the performance boost...

Hello all.

I was wondering if anyone that has installed Jaguar could fill me in on what speed improvements they have noticed over 10.1.x. I have a copy of 10.2 on order and don't want to get myself too excited without hearing how well it works for other users.

For reference, I have a 400Mhz G4 (Gigabit Ethernet) w/ 1.5GB RAM and a GeForce 2MX (32MB) AGP Card. Any insights would be appreciated.

Also, if anyone could point me to a benchmarking suite that I could run under 10.1, and then on 10.2, so that I might have some figures to compare regarding both CPU and video performance, that would also be helpful.

Thanks,

RL

Gigglebyte

macrumors member
Aug 16, 2002
Re: Curious about the performance boost...

Originally posted by RogueLdr
Hello all.

I was wondering if anyone that has installed Jaguar could fill me in on what speed improvements they have noticed over 10.1.x. I have a copy of 10.2 on order and don't want to get myself too excited without hearing how well it works for other users.

For reference, I have a 400Mhz G4 (Gigabit Ethernet) w/ 1.5GB RAM and a GeForce 2MX (32MB) AGP Card. Any insights would be appreciated.
you should see a bit of a speed improvement as you have a decent ammount of RAM and good video.

Classic - unless there is a different build for internal copies vs external the build should be 6C115 and this is after the 8-23 security update

MacMaster

macrumors 6502
Jul 17, 2002
Originally posted by Gigglebyte

if you are running 10.2 there is a translation utility in Sherlock...and if you want to have fun with it take the disclamer on the bottom of the page and translate it back and forth a couple of times and see what you get :D
Pretty soon!:D

Who

macrumors newbie
Jul 16, 2002
Any idea when they're going to start selling systems other than the PowerMac with 10.2 preinstalled?

kanaka

macrumors member
Jul 8, 2002

Hello all.

Well, I'm running Jaguar on a 400Mhz G3 iMac, and I haven't seen much of a speed improvement. Of course, I don't benefit from Quartz Extreme with my lovely 8MB ATI Rage128. On the other hand, I'm loving the software improvements. Everything I open seems to have been tweaked, from TextEdit to Calculator.

beatle888

macrumors 68000
Feb 3, 2002

Hello all.

Damn i hope so, i thought that's what jaguar was all about.:eek:

peterjhill

macrumors 65816
Apr 25, 2002
Seattle, WA
Originally posted by G4scott
I just installed it, and it's worth every penny! Now I can share my epson printer without a hitch!

Just one question: Is anyone else having problems with drag-and-drop? I can't drag any items in Finder, and it's really annoying. It worked on my G4, but not on my iBook...
Did you use any Developer Releases? I had the same problem, I couldn't drag and drop anywhere.

Try this, open the Applications -> Utilities -> Console
Then try to drag in any application. If you see an error (maybe -900, but I'm not sure) then you have the same bug that I had. I did a clean install of OS X and all my apps, and do not have the problem anymore. I don't know if there is an easier fix.

DavPeanut

macrumors 6502
Jun 5, 2002
Maryland
I went to the Release at one of the Apple stores. My mom and I went in to get the $129 10.2 and came out with that plus and iBook w/ applecare, Printmusic, and a 250,000 image Library. Oh, and a mousepad plus two Jaguar Shirts. Much fun was had by all. We left the store at 1:00 AM.

Rocketman

macrumors 603
Originally posted by DavPeanut
I went to the Release at one of the Apple stores. My mom and I went in to get the $129 10.2 and came out with that plus and iBook w/ applecare, Printmusic, and a 250,000 image Library. Oh, and a mousepad plus two Jaguar Shirts. Much fun was had by all. We left the store at 1:00 AM.
Suggestive selling and customer interaction is the main reason why brick and morter retail is so successful in the face of internet and mail order selling. There is no replacement for talking with a human and seeing a product you were NOT originally thinking about IN PERSON and feeling, seeing and touching it. And the ability to instantly take delivery and enjoy it while it is peak on your mind.

Apple's retail efforts are likely to become a significant revenue source that mostly does not supplant other sales operations including other dealers.

Rocketman

"All politics is local."

ibjoshua

macrumors 6502a
Jan 17, 2002
New Zealand
Re: Re: Curious about the performance boost...

Originally posted by kanaka

Well, I'm running Jaguar on a 400Mhz G3 iMac, and I haven't seen much of a speed improvement. Of course, I don't benefit from Quartz Extreme with my lovely 8MB ATI Rage128. On the other hand, I'm loving the software improvements. Everything I open seems to have been tweaked, from TextEdit to Calculator.
thats disapointing. i'm pretty happy with 10.1.5 software-wise i was really expecting a bit of a speed bump on my wee ibook

josh

JohnStrass

macrumors regular
Jul 17, 2002
Miami, USA
newbie can at least help with French

Originally posted by MacMaster
Uh...anyone speak french? http://www.hardmac.com/niouzcontenu.php?date=2002-08-25#3264
Translation please!:eek:
This is the French Text:
- Mac OS X 10.2.1 6D42 - Lionel - 15:47:12
Une personne souhaitant garder l'anonymat nous signale que la mise à jour d'OS X 10.2.1 est disponible aux développeurs inscrit sur le site de l'ADC.
Elle est numérotée 6D42.

A ce rythme, on aura Mac OS X 10.3 payant dans 2 mois :)))
My translation:
"Someone, wiching to remain annonymous, tells us that OS X 10.2.1 is available to developers who are registered at the "ADC" site. Its number is 6D42. At that pace, we'll have 10.3 paid upgrade in 2 months."

Now that I did something useful, can I ask a naive qestion? I have a 17 in iMac on the way (hopefully). My old imac (333 MHz, 96 RAM) is still on 8.6. Can I load 10.2 on it without it going haywhire or should I just bring it up to 9.1 and leave it there?
Merci a tous!
Joh:confused:
-------------
iMac 17 / 500 RAM (on the WAY!!)
iMac 333 chugging along
Newton MP 2100 gathering dust:mad:

wchamlet

macrumors member
May 9, 2002
The hills...
Software Update tickets?

Being the OS 10.2 is finally out, I figure it's time to ask the inevitable question of whether or not the software upgrade tickets are any good to use for the purchase of OS 10.2? I just bought a a refurbished DP Powermac, and I have 3 little update tickets, just waiting to be used. My guess is no, becuase this isn't a perfect world.

Chad

lazyrighteye

macrumors 68000
Jan 16, 2002
Denver, CO
Reply to Who:
A buddy of mine bought a 17" iMac at the Aspen Grove Apple Store here in Colorado two weeks before Jaguar hit the streets, and it came with 2 10.2 discs.

Side note:
The Jaguar release here at the above mentioned Aspen Grove Apple Store appeared to be a HUGE success. I was at the store's grand opening, and the line for 10.2 was significantly larger. More importantly, people were walking out with products - 10.2, iMacs, iBooks, etc. - and grins.

Also, I don't know if 10.2 is any "snappier," but it does feel a little better (on both my iBook/500 and G4/500), which I think is completely psychological.
Airport Software Base Station returns (don't know why it left)!
But what I was most looking forward to was the documented return of Clam Shell Mode - the ability to close my iBook's lid, and it still run, as apposed to Sleeping. This feature, however, does not return with 10.2 on my iBook/500. According to a phone call and conversation with an Apple tech, this is a hardware issue with my particular make of iBook. Bummer.

lazyrighteye

sehix

macrumors regular
Jul 1, 2002
Re: newbie can at least help with French

Now that I did something useful, can I ask a naive qestion? I have a 17 in iMac on the way (hopefully). My old imac (333 MHz, 96 RAM) is still on 8.6. Can I load 10.2 on it without it going haywhire or should I just bring it up to 9.1 and leave it there?
Shouldn't be a problem. One of my daughters has been running OS X on 333MHz iMac since last March.

beatle888

macrumors 68000
Feb 3, 2002
Originally posted by DavPeanut

will your mom adopt me.......:rolleyes:

Gigglebyte

macrumors member
Aug 16, 2002
Re: newbie can at least help with French

Originally posted by JohnStrass

well if you look at the requirements you do meet the CPU but your RAM is going to be a little lacking...you should be able to install and run 10.2 but it is going to be slow. the recomended memory is 128 with 1.5 Gig HD available. I have seen 10.1.x run on 32Meg before and it was NOT a pretty sight...but it did run or should I say crawl.

ladrums1000

macrumors newbie
Jul 17, 2002
Smiley???

I installed 10.2 on my 667 powerbook this weekend. According to some websites, I am supposed to see a smiley face with the words Hello underneath, but I am not seeing it. I just get a grey screen with a small apple in the middle, with the circle cursor spinning (it actually sits on this screen for almost a minute). I called the apple store at the grove this morning, and they said I won't see a smiley face. I am not sure if this is correct or not. Can anyone else tell me what they see when they first turn on their computer with OS X 10.2.

Also, when I installed my 10.2 it spent a majority of time loading in and verifying foreign language set up items for Japanese, Finnish, German, etc. Should this have happened? Not sure why I would want my computer configured for a bunch of foreign languages I will never use, especially since it took so long on those items. I would think the software would have prompted me to choose whether I wanted those or not. Any other people see this?

Thanks for any help anyone can give.

Gigglebyte

macrumors member
Aug 16, 2002
Re: Smiley???

Originally posted by ladrums1000
I installed 10.2 on my 667 powerbook this weekend. According to some websites, I am supposed to see a smiley face with the words Hello underneath, but I am not seeing it. I just get a grey screen with a small apple in the middle, with the circle cursor spinning (it actually sits on this screen for almost a minute). I called the apple store at the grove this morning, and they said I won't see a smiley face. I am not sure if this is correct or not. Can anyone else tell me what they see when they first turn on their computer with OS X 10.2.

Also, when I installed my 10.2 it spent a majority of time loading in and verifying foreign language set up items for Japanese, Finnish, German, etc. Should this have happened? Not sure why I would want my computer configured for a bunch of foreign languages I will never use, especially since it took so long on those items. I would think the software would have prompted me to choose whether I wanted those or not. Any other people see this?

Thanks for any help anyone can give.
who ever told you that there should be a smiley face was incorrect as in 10.2 you do get the light gray screen with a dark gray apple and the line icon. The only time you will see the smiley face is if you change your startup disk to OS9.

As for the languages you do have an option when doing the install to not have them loaded. Personaly I didn't load any of them on any of my installs and disk 2 is optional (but best to load so your iApps work right). you can also choose what printer drivers you want loaded based on brand but not model and a word of warning for the printers, currently the drivers for 10.1.x do NOT work in 10.2 so you will want to check and see if there are drivers for the printer you are using.