Jaguar (10.2) Movies

arn

macrumors god
Original poster
Staff member
Apr 9, 2001
This download link contains quicktime movies of OS X 10.2 (6B11). (get it while you can). Features demonstrated include:

- more Advanced Disk Copy with its own Shelf
- Contextual menus now have "Open With..." option for files
- Does not allow you to drag "locked" files to the trash
- Spring loaded folders

Xapplimatic

macrumors 6502
Oct 23, 2001
California
Looks great.. *but*...

Well, the improvements look nice, but they can't be all that is improved if Apple wants people to shell out bucks for the update. Basically it looks like the final improvement needed to make OS X equitable in terms of ease of use with OS 9 (with the final adding of Spring-loaded folders, an enormous time saver for moving files around). Hopefully there are also speed optimizations so that us poor G3 saps will find a little more spring in the file requesters and window sizing as well.. If it's not possible, hey, I understand there are limits to the magic of software, but the new features, for the most part, don't look to be new or truly innovative, but more like 10.1 just trying to bring the Finder up on par features-wise and ease-wise with 9.x. Can anyone come up with a more elaborate list of definate changes from 10.1 to 10.2? Surely the developers who were seeded it for testing may have a clue. About the only speed improvement I'm aware they intend is to turn on the window buffering to default on.. but many of us have already tweeked 10.1 to do that with one system file edit or an applescript. Just what puts the Jaguar in Jaguar?

mnm

macrumors newbie
Jan 7, 2002
What 10.2 really needs.........

-A solid dock, the same as the menu bar at the top of the screen. That way non cocoa/dock aware applications won't be able to put integral parts of their windows behing the dock. At the moment the only usable place to have the dock is on the right. If it is on the left when you open a new window it opens under the dock, on the bottom it covers the resizing tab.

-Resize double arrows on each edge of windows, since they are now borderless and cannot be moved with anything other then the window bar.

-Window Shader shipped as part of the system. (colapsable window bar + more)
http://www.versiontracker.com/moreinfo.fcgi?id=12243&db=mac

-Navigatable menu's for folders, like control clicking a folder/disk in the dock, but from any folder anywhere. OS6 and 7 had a control panel that did it but it stopped working in OS8.

-Option to turn off live window resizing to stop my G4 embarassing itself trying to resize anything bigger than 600px

-Option to turn off menu fading, again embarassing my 1 year old G4

-flash 5 and shockwave 8.5.1 or later shipping as standard (and macromedia given a kick to get them running faster)

-the help button on my keyboard to work, what's all this command+? nonsence

-better security to stop you or third party installers/applications corrupting the os.

At the moment the best version of Aqua is the Aqua skin (you can find it on hotline) on OS9.2. Looks good, works fast and they way I want it too, doesn't even crash much.

PS anyone know ehy i can't change the icon on my staryup disk any more or trash anything from the root of that drive (not enough priviliges)

Also, anyone know how to make those screen grab movies?

I've already posted all these to the osx feedback section of apples site
http://www.apple.com/macosx/feedback/
Come on,go forth and get the OS to work for you.

Any more speed/functionality ideas people..........

R

rottiepaws

I hope mail.app doesn't bitch when the net connection is dropped and it tries to check the server! I did mention this to the OS X product manager in person at a MUG meeting.. hope they changed it back like it used to be!

j763

macrumors 6502a
Nov 25, 2001
Champaign, IL, USA
They're going to have to have a bit more than that to get me forking out money for an upgrade. If they brought some of the CLI-only stuff out-of-the-dark, such as the osx firewall, it might be a worthwhile upgrade. But from what's demoed in the videos- forget it.

eyelikeart

Moderator emeritus
Jan 2, 2001
Metairie, LA

I think it looks good....

I could care less about the spring loaded folders....

I hope there's a speed improvement.....esp. for Classic! :p

U

Unregistered

please

view options for panels. ie by size, date modified, ect
close window option from dock. like with holding option or something.
more id3 tag info in the preview section of panel view. ie bit rate...
more image info in the preview section of panel view. ie image size, color space...
and while there is all this panel preview work going on how bout using Open GL to give 3D model previews. Or produce a way applications to show their own preview. This would hopefully cross over to open/save menus.
let games and other such applications that go full screen have +option+esc force quit access. so my interface doesn't lock up when a game crashes.

ECT ECT ECT

unclepain

macrumors member
Jan 23, 2002
Va Beach VA
Re: What 10.2 really needs.........

Originally posted by mnm

Also, anyone know how to make those screen grab movies?

MNM,

The screen grabs were done with SnapzProX. In fact, one of the JPGs included in the download folder was an error message when they tried to throw SnapzPro in the trash.

UnclePain

unclepain

macrumors member
Jan 23, 2002
Va Beach VA
Slow Finder Preview....

Did anybody else notice how slowly the Finder Preview information was coming up when they switched to different JPEGs even when they turned the arrow to not show the image preview? Is it taking that long because it is still trying to draw the image preview even though you've set it to not display? I hope that gets fixed. That was like a 2 or 3 second delay before the info was updated in the Finder preview window.

barkmonster

macrumors 68020
Dec 3, 2001
Lancashire
download stops after a few minutes

I don't think the link is dead but I've had an estimated download time of 12 mins or so and then it's stopped after about 2 mins. unless the file is just being downloaded by a lot of people :D

J

Jollygods

Jaguar movies

Which app should I use to see the Jaguar movies? QT doesn't play them.

/Jollygods

unclepain

macrumors member
Jan 23, 2002
Va Beach VA
Re: Jaguar movies

Originally posted by Jollygods
Which app should I use to see the Jaguar movies? QT doesn't play them.

/Jollygods
They should play in Quicktime just fine since they are quicktime movies. I didn't have any problems with them. What version of Quicktime are you using?

mnm

macrumors newbie
Jan 7, 2002
SnapzProX

Thanks unclepain,just downloaded SnapzProX, it will be very useful for making website showreel video's.

Wish it was part of the OS thoughand a firewall.

Applications still need before converting:

Photoshop
Flash
Norton Utilities

That's it, then I'm there

U

Unregistered

I agree with j763, OS X needs to flaunt some of the power it has under the hood. I would love to see Apple implement GUI interfaces for OS Xs built in firewall and SMB capabilities (browsing shares without having to use Sharity would be nice, it slows down my shutdown time too much).

Thanks,
Aaron

vitrector

macrumors member
Jan 18, 2002
jaguar

I can't get the movie to play, either. When i click on the link I get one download with a .tar extension. Quicktime won't touch it....
anyone any thoughts?

Hemingray

macrumors 68030
Jan 9, 2002
Ha ha haaa!
Re: download stops after a few minutes

Originally posted by barkmonster
I don't think the link is dead but I've had an estimated download time of 12 mins or so and then it's stopped after about 2 mins. unless the file is just being downloaded by a lot of people :D
Mine took about 10 seconds... 1.1 megs.

Oh... and not being able to drag locked files to the trash is a FEATURE?!

Great...

eyelikeart

Moderator emeritus
Jan 2, 2001
Metairie, LA
it took less then 1 minute to download for me.....of course that was at 7 am...

but the movies opened fine in QT.....I was running v.5 in X if that helps any of u with problems viewing....

U

Unregistered

why not show spring-loaded folders in action?

I don't particularly care to see the preferences for spring-loaded folders. I would like to see how they actually work. How about a new capture that shows them in action?

JOE40

macrumors member
Jan 21, 2002
New Jersey
Jaguar-Movies

Nice Movies.
That guy moves his mouse real slow !
Nice improvements, but we need more speed for sure.
My G3/500 DV SE iMac struggles with OS X 10.1
My DP 800Mhz Quicksilver with 1.5 gig RAM does OK with 10.1.
I like it but it could be way quicker.

OS X still more stable than 9.x. That's a plus.
I wish you could tell software update to ignore certain updates (chinese, etc. permanently, with a check box or something...)

JOE40

macrumors member
Jan 21, 2002
New Jersey
Quicktime Movie Playback

Worked great in OS X 10.1

Could not playback in OS 9.2 with Quicktime 4.1.2 (Pro)

A message appears that says

"You may experience problems playing a video track in "finder_open_with.mov" because the required compressor could not be found. Would you like to close the movie or continue...
<close> or <continue>

JOE40

macrumors member
Jan 21, 2002
New Jersey
OS X 10.1 Menubar Clock

While we are on the subject of wishinf what Jaguar could do....

Is it possible to make the menubar clock display the time in standard format instead of military 24 hour format?

Right now it is 13:37 on my OS X G4 instead of 1:37 on my OS 9.2 G3 system

Maybe that will be adjustable as in OS 9 in 10.2....

U

Unregistered

military time solution

The format of time display is set in the International preference panel. Click the 'time' tab, and you will see two radio buttons that allow you to set either military or 12-hour.

serpicolugnut

macrumors member
Jun 13, 2001
Atlanta, GA
JOE40...

Go to International in the System Preferences...

Select the Time tab, and click on 12 hour clock...

Why this option is in International and not in Date & Time is beyond me...

Catfish_Man

macrumors 68030
Sep 13, 2001
Portland, OR
Re: Jaguar-Movies

Originally posted by JOE40
Nice Movies.
That guy moves his mouse real slow !
Nice improvements, but we need more speed for sure.
My G3/500 DV SE iMac struggles with OS X 10.1
My DP 800Mhz Quicksilver with 1.5 gig RAM does OK with 10.1.
I like it but it could be way quicker.

OS X still more stable than 9.x. That's a plus.
I wish you could tell software update to ignore certain updates (chinese, etc. permanently, with a check box or something...)
You can. Select one, then look around in the menues. There's an ignore update option. Also, I don't know what you're complaining about, my G3 233MHz handles 10.1 ok.

D

Dephex Twin

Re: Slow Finder Preview....

Originally posted by unclepain
Did anybody else notice how slowly the Finder Preview information was coming up when they switched to different JPEGs even when they turned the arrow to not show the image preview? Is it taking that long because it is still trying to draw the image preview even though you've set it to not display? I hope that gets fixed. That was like a 2 or 3 second delay before the info was updated in the Finder preview window.
That might be because he has a G3. On a G4 machine that should be quicker, I bet.