Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

arn

macrumors god
Original poster
Staff member
Apr 9, 2001
Despite various reports of build 6C115 being GM (MacRumors, ThinkSecret, MacMinute, MacOSRumors), it appears that it is only the GM candidate (aka FC1)

RailHeadDesign has a screenshot of the wording in the 6C115 release:

Jaguar build 6C115, the GM candidate of Mac OS X version 10.2

According to them 6C116 has already been seeded. While this is all hair-splitting at this point, the take hold messages is that it appears on time and near completion.

gopher

macrumors 65816
Mar 31, 2002
Maryland, USA
My hope is they iron out a couple bugs on Application launching. I noticed that sometimes I launch an application, it comes up in the dock but does not change focus to the current application. That's in 6c106. Also mounting an FTP server on the desktop mounts the server, but not its subdirectories when it is a Linux server. Not to mention Mail has difficulty with subfolder importing from Entourage, the folders are there, but not their messages. Still it is sweet to have a system so fast it should be called Cheetah! The Find in the Finder feature is as thorough as many programs like Filebuddy and File Freak (without the find in archives), not to mention it is faster. I'm not complaining...this thing is going to rock. It is well worth $300 now!

ntg

macrumors regular
May 3, 2002
UK - Rushden, Northants
just hypothesising, but when I rang Apple yesterday chasing delivery of my 20Gb iPod, I was told it will be delivered "starting next week [5th] and should ship sometime in the following two weeks"
This started me wondering - since it uses new Jaguar features, then is there a chance that the OS to support the iPod will be out at the same time....?

MacArtist

macrumors member
Jul 24, 2002
Originally posted by ntg
just hypothesising, but when I rang Apple yesterday chasing delivery of my 20Gb iPod, I was told it will be delivered "starting next week [5th] and should ship sometime in the following two weeks"
This started me wondering - since it uses new Jaguar features, then is there a chance that the OS to support the iPod will be out at the same time....?

Not necessarily true. The 20GB iPod has features that work only with OS X 10.2, but it could still be used with OS X 10.1.x. All of the iPods are cappable of doing the same thing. They may just delay your iPod until OS X 10.2 is on the shelves.

I don't think that they'll release OS X 10.2 earlier than the 24th. I think they are going GM this early so that they can possibly ship it with the new PowerMacs rumored to be coming soon.

iN8

macrumors regular
May 29, 2002
The Bahamas
So what was the codename for 10.0. Tortoise maybe... Escargot... oh, wait, how about Three Toed Sloth:D. They all seem pretty appropriate eh. Beta is quite appropriate as well.

eric_n_dfw

macrumors 68000
Jan 2, 2002
DFW, TX, USA
To many of us (myself included) OS X 10.0 (heck Developer Release 4 even) kicked OS 9's butt all over the place.

My personal codename for Rhapsody was "SWEET!"

:p

iwantanewmac

macrumors 6502
Oct 24, 2001
Originally posted by eric_n_dfw
To many of us (myself included) OS X 10.0 (heck Developer Release 4 even) kicked OS 9's butt all over the place.

yeah...right.
10.0 was an impossible slow piece of crap.
(apart from it looks great)

iN8

macrumors regular
May 29, 2002
The Bahamas
With regards to what?

You can't be talking about speed. 10.1.5 still has a little sluggishness to the interface, especially resizing windows. I am tired of seeing that spinning beach ball for the most insignificant of tasks.

As far as all the "modern OS" features and uptime hell yeah! I crash on average about 2 times daily in OS 9, mainly because I push my system to its limits.

rugby

macrumors regular
Feb 21, 2002
chicago
My personal codename for OS X 10.0 Server was mostly *&%$#*&%#&$#*$&#*$&

eric_n_dfw

macrumors 68000
Jan 2, 2002
DFW, TX, USA
Originally posted by iwantanewmac

yeah...right.
10.0 was an impossible slow piece of crap.
(apart from it looks great)
Try developing Java2 stuff on OS 9 and tell me OS X 10.0 is slower.

Like I said, some of us would say OS X 10.0 rocked. Some of you are just as right about not liking it. Yes, the GUI was slow that was not my concern. The fact that I can ssh into it from anywhere and run edit/run jsps and whatnot makes it kick OS 9's (and Windows for that matter) butt. Linux or BSD or Unix variant would be the only other solution for geeks like me.

rickey939

macrumors newbie
May 2, 2002
Land of Oz
No way this is GM, it still has the famous FTP bug where it will mount the server, but NOT sub-directories....

Oh well. Keep crackin Apple, you are doing great!

eric_n_dfw

macrumors 68000
Jan 2, 2002
DFW, TX, USA
Re: With regards to what?

Originally posted by iN8

You can't be talking about speed. 10.1.5 still has a little sluggishness to the interface, especially resizing windows. I am tired of seeing that spinning beach ball for the most insignificant of tasks.

As far as all the "modern OS" features and uptime hell yeah! I crash on average about 2 times daily in OS 9, mainly because I push my system to its limits.
You're right - see my above post. Speed of the GUI is not my primary concern.

eric_n_dfw

macrumors 68000
Jan 2, 2002
DFW, TX, USA
The speed of the GUI and the speed of the OS, while hard for many to separate, are two separate things.

Actually, knowing what Quartz and Aqua are doing, I'm surprised that my G4/400 is as fast as it is. Heck, the thing is rendering full PDF screens in real time! (Two (in my case) on a double headed setup)

Now, when you look at non-gui related items like FCP renders and RC5 or SETI computations, especially with Dual Proc machines, OS X 10.0 is nearly as fast as OS 9. (A little slower is to be expected on a pre-emptively multitasking)

Don't get me wrong - I hate that window resizes and scrolling are DOG SLOW on my machine. (I really feel it in iPhoto when rescaling the library or sliding the image editing tools.) But for a nearly 3.5 year old machine with a $300 processor upgrade (less $$ now for a G4/400 I'm sure), I can't complain too much. My Dell laptop at work sometimes feels slugish (especially it's 5 minute boot time to a useable desktop) and it's only a year old!

Geert

macrumors 6502a
May 28, 2001
.be
that sounds more like it.
I already thought it was weird that they would make c115 GM, I read that there were still some small bugs in this seed, so Final canditate 1 has more logic.

further I don't think that they will release Jaguar any sooner, since they are announcing it with a timer on their site.
It would be dumb to set a timer here, and then release it earlier.

TypeR389

macrumors member
Apr 9, 2002
Seattle
Originally posted by iN8
Whats a Pinot?

One defintion would be a type a grape, or types actually. The Pinot grape, most comenly the Pinot Noir (dark or purple variety) is very common in California, is highly adaptable (Sorta like OSX) and quoting a definition from a wine site:

Though unpredictable at times, the best Pinot Noirs are seductively enchanting in their intense aromatics, complex flavors and long silky textures.

As long as we take away the unpredictable part, I think we can apply a lot of this! Then again, I like the whole Shark idea as well!

:)

peterjhill

macrumors 65816
Apr 25, 2002
Seattle, WA
115 is the GM, as we will all be hearing soon, but "there are different versions of build 6c115" says official apple person in know (not me). Just heard it today during a webcast of Xserve.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.