Jaguar e-mail

chmorley

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jan 2, 2002
Denver, CO
I received this e-mail from Apple this morning:
Thank you for your pre-order for Jaguar, Mac OS X v10.2!

We know you are anxious to receive Apple's latest Mac OS X version 10.2 that contains over 150 new features and provides significant enhancements to its modern, UNIX-based foundation.

We are preparing your order for shipment in order to meet your selected shipment method. Although you may have received an invoice for a shipping charge, your Mac OS X.2 order will not ship until Wednesday or Thursday. You will be receiving an invoice via email within the next 2-3 days that will provide your tracking shipment numbers. These tracking numbers will become active Wednesday, August 21st or Thursday, August 22nd. Beginning on Wednesday or Thursday you will be able to track your shipment to its destination. We look forward to delivering Mac OS X.2 to you by Saturday, August 24th.

Not sure if this is related to the fact that I have been checking three times a day to see if my order has shipped. Perhaps Apple is experiencing more traffic like this than they would like.

Secondly, this makes me question the reports about some people getting their shipments early. Has anyone here actually received their copy of Jaguar yet--or even confirmation that it has shipped?

Chris

Bear

macrumors G3
Jul 23, 2002
Sol III - Terra
I received the same email this morning.

The only people I [personally] know who have received Jaguar already are people who just received systems in the last few days. The systems were loaded with 10.1.x with 10.2 on CD's.

mnkeybsness

macrumors 68030
Jun 25, 2001
Moneyapolis, Minnesota
that looks like a bunch of BS...the grammar is just terrible, and plus, apple would not continually say "will ship on wednesday or thursday." i think they would be more general about things. if this were a real apple email, it probably would have been sent to everyone that pre-ordered jaguar; (i ordered it a couple weeks ago)...no one else has received this email

cleo

macrumors 65816
Jan 21, 2002
Tampa Bay Area, FL, USA
It's real

I received the exact same email. Woo-hoo!

Date: Sun Aug 18, 2002 12:12:18 AM US/Eastern
To: <blitchre@mac.com>
Subject: Your Jaguar Order Update

Thank you for your pre-order for Jaguar, Mac OS X v10.2!

We know you are anxious to receive Apple’s latest Mac OS X version 10.2 that
contains over 150 new features and provides significant enhancements to its
modern, UNIX-based foundation.

We are preparing your order for shipment in order to meet your selected
shipment method. Although you may have received an invoice for a shipping
charge, your Mac OS X.2 order will not ship until Wednesday or Thursday.
You will be receiving an invoice via email within the next 2-3 days that
will provide your tracking shipment numbers. These tracking numbers will
become active Wednesday, August 21st or Thursday, August 22nd. Beginning on
Wednesday or Thursday you will be able to track your shipment to it’s
destination. We look forward to delivering Mac OS X.2 to you by Saturday,
August 24th.

Thank you for shopping at the Apple Store!

mox358

macrumors 6502
May 22, 2002
Indiana
I'm sure its real... I received it this morning too. Probably this is a reaction to the combination of people talking about recieving Jaguar early with new systems, and people getting extreamly hyper about the fact that they got shipping emails from apple. If I read this right, everyone who's gotten a shipping email thus far, will have their copy of Jaguar sitting on a dock (ha.. OSX humor) in Cupertino until Wednesday. So it looks from this email that the only people getting Jaguar early will be by one or two days.

I agree with rice_web... it's a confirmation that your order will ship next wednesday... you knew you'd get it by the 24th anyway... theres nothing to see here kids... move along

Shape Shifta

macrumors newbie
Aug 18, 2002
Boston, MA
Got mine

Got the same email.

The grammar is horrible, which surprised me. I was about to correct it and send it back, but it was probably pounded out in haste in order to free up some of the Apple Store phone-que.

rice_web

macrumors 6502a
Oct 25, 2001
Minot, North Dakota
My favorite quote is:

"Apple¹s latest Mac OS X version 10.2"

That implies that the X does not mean 10. Does that mean that we'll see Mac OS X 11.0?

I know, it's just bad editing, but it's funny.

IndyGopher

macrumors 6502a
Nov 3, 2001
Indianapolis, IN
Originally posted by rice_web
My favorite quote is:

"Apple1s latest Mac OS X version 10.2"

That implies that the X does not mean 10. Does that mean that we'll see Mac OS X 11.0?

I know, it's just bad editing, but it's funny.
Apple has always called it Mac OS X v. 10.x.x And yes, you will indeed see OS X v.11... so I don't understand why you call it bad editing.

billiam0878

macrumors 6502
Mar 15, 2002
Winter Park, FL
I just received the same e-mail. They say it will ship Wednesday or Thursday-- Do you think there's a possibility that (with standard delivery) it will arrive before Saturday?

Bill

MacUser1

macrumors 6502
Aug 23, 2001
CT
i got mine

i just order my edu. discounted copy just a few days ago and I got the e-mail. i can't wait! :D

chmorley

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jan 2, 2002
Denver, CO
News?

Originally posted by rice_web
I received the e-mail also, I didn't think it was big news.
I didn't post it because I thought it was news. I posted because it made me questions the rumors about some copies shipping early (as I wrote). Reading comprehension 101: read the whole thing.

So has anyone received a new copy or word that it was on the way?

Chris

mnkeybsness

macrumors 68030
Jun 25, 2001
Moneyapolis, Minnesota
i would like to know why some of us haven't yet received this email...and why it was sent on a sunday for most of you...that seems like such an odd day for anyone to be working...especially for apple....all i know is that i want jaguar and i want it now...i have no patience

Shape Shifta

macrumors newbie
Aug 18, 2002
Boston, MA
Don't know why some would have gotten it and others not. I think perhaps it was because I received an invoice for the shipping charges (I got express shipping) the day before. Those who received THAT invoice probably got all excited thinking their copy was going to ship, so Apple sent out a clarifying email. I also ordered mine on edu discount.

awrc

macrumors regular
Apr 20, 2002
Milwaukee, WI
Well, I received the notice on Sunday and now - 4 days later by my count - have yet to receive a tracking number.

I'd assumed the "Wednesday and Thursday" was for the shipping of 2nd day and next day air packages respectively, but since today's the last day they can send my copies by next day air if I'm to receive it in time (unless they're paying the extra for FedEx Saturday delivery, which I doubt) and I've yet to receive even an inactive tracking number, who knows?

User X

macrumors member
Jul 17, 2002
Jaguar by the 24th

I am in the same boat. I recieved the e-mail on sunday and here it is thursday morning and no tracking number. I ordered mine 2nd day air. My online order status still says being assembled. I am going to be pissed if I don't get it until next week. I can only hope they are backed up and have not had time to get the tracking numbers out to everybody. I had that happen with a 17" display that got delivered to me before I recieved a number.

brogers

macrumors regular
Apr 6, 2002
Greensboro, NC
I got the same one too. My Dad also got it over the weekend and then yesterday...Wednesday...he recieved an e-mail saying his copy had shipped. He went to the web site and it said fully shipped. He ordered his early last week. I ordered mine on July 17th. I got the e-mail, but no shipment notification.

gopher

macrumors 65816
Mar 31, 2002
Maryland, USA
Originally posted by mnkeybsness
that looks like a bunch of BS...the grammar is just terrible, and plus, apple would not continually say "will ship on wednesday or thursday." i think they would be more general about things. if this were a real apple email, it probably would have been sent to everyone that pre-ordered jaguar; (i ordered it a couple weeks ago)...no one else has received this email
I received the same e-mail. Purchased at Apple Store on July 17th.

Shape Shifta

macrumors newbie
Aug 18, 2002
Boston, MA
I got the email AND the shipping notification, but the shipping notification was a day late. It shipped yesterday and I got the email today. According to Fed Ex (I got 2 day service), at last scan it was in Tennessee yesterday afternoon on it's way to Minnesota.

The anticipation is KILLING ME!!!

(By the way, we're dorks.) ;-)

mnkeybsness

macrumors 68030
Jun 25, 2001
Moneyapolis, Minnesota
Originally posted by Shape Shifta
According to Fed Ex (I got 2 day service), at last scan it was in Tennessee yesterday afternoon on it's way to Minnesota.
i'm confused...it was scanned in tennessee and then to minnesota...isn't your location listed as boston?

crazytom

macrumors 6502a
Jul 23, 2002
IL
Roman numerals throughout!

Since they started with the whole 'X' deal, why not keep it going? Mac OS X.I; X.I.V; X.II??? Why quit what you've started? :confused: :)

brogers

macrumors regular
Apr 6, 2002
Greensboro, NC
Re: Arrived!

Originally posted by chmorley
Mine arrived in Denver at 12:37 Mountain Time today.

Betcha I'm not the only one...

Chris

So did you ever get a shipping notice??? I would like to think that mine is on the way to, but no actuall shipping notice...just e-mail saying it would ship Wednesday or Thursday.