Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

What do you think of jaguar's Aqua?

• Better than pre-Jaguar

Votes: 14 87.5%
  • Worse than pre-Jaguar

Votes: 2 12.5%
  • What's the difference?/What's Jaguar?

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters

cb911

macrumors 601
Mar 12, 2002
BrisVegas, Australia
i reckon it's heaps better. at first i didn't notice any differences, and i still don't really notice them now. all the things they changed are good. i like it alot! :)

Catfish_Man

macrumors 68030
Sep 13, 2001
Portland, OR
Here are the differences...

...(isn't Interface Builder great?). The one on the left is Jaguar, the right is 10.1.5. Sorry it's a bit small, it was either that or turn the quality down, and it was harder to see at low quality than low size.

Attachments

• newinterface.jpg
    newinterface.jpg
    58.8 KB · Views: 179

kishba

macrumors 6502a
Dec 11, 2001
Michigan
i guess my opinion just changes with my mood... at times i love the new interface and at other times i like the 10.1 style widgets...

but that's why i dual boot between the two :D

mac15

macrumors 68040
Dec 29, 2001
they both look very nice, but maybe apple decided on the new theme cause it took up less power, but personally I like new interface

kishba

macrumors 6502a
Dec 11, 2001
Michigan
Re: This is a dumb question, but...

Originally posted by cleo
Will programs automatically have the new Jaguar look, or will the programs themselves have to be upgraded too?

i read somewhere that nearly all apps will have the look without any updates if they were coded to use some standard (this is most definitely not as technical as i remember reading but i don't remember the details ;))

hopefully we'll see it in action in all apps this macworld!

Grokgod

macrumors 6502a
I think that the buttons with less of a shadow has been done because of the graphic cpu problems.

Look at it this way, if a game you are playing has a ton of shadows etc
then it takes massive CPU time to render it.

I think that one of the ways to speeding things up is to take away a bit of the eyecandy. If it speeds up the OS then its worth it, it can always be brought back when CPU speeds increase and there is more RAM on graphics cards!

I dont think that in daily use its going to mean that much that the buttons dont have a shadow.

At least it isnt XP! whew

The only shadow there is the SHADOW OF DOOM!

Catfish_Man

macrumors 68030
Sep 13, 2001
Portland, OR
Good thought...

Originally posted by Grokgod
I think that the buttons with less of a shadow has been done because of the graphic cpu problems.

Look at it this way, if a game you are playing has a ton of shadows etc
then it takes massive CPU time to render it.

I think that one of the ways to speeding things up is to take away a bit of the eyecandy. If it speeds up the OS then its worth it, it can always be brought back when CPU speeds increase and there is more RAM on graphics cards!

I dont think that in daily use its going to mean that much that the buttons dont have a shadow.

At least it isnt XP! whew

The only shadow there is the SHADOW OF DOOM!
...but the button shadows aren't actually shadows. They're just pictures of shadows, so they don't take up more CPU time than any other picture. I think the changes are purely cosmetic.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.