Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Bear

macrumors G3
Jul 23, 2002
Sol III - Terra
Re: Jaguar on Powerbook 3400C ?

Originally posted by brownietyme
Is it possible to get Jaguar on a Powerbook 3400C ?
Jaguar requires a G3 or G4 based Mac to run.

The Jaguar System Requirements page shows what systems are supported with Jaguar.

I'd say based upon the Apple supplied info, your answer is no.

MrMacMan

macrumors 604
Jul 4, 2001
1 Block away from NYC.
Re: Re: Jaguar on Powerbook 3400C ?

Originally posted by Bear
Jaguar requires a G3 or G4 based Mac to run.

The Jaguar System Requirements page shows what systems are supported with Jaguar.

I'd say based upon the Apple supplied info, your answer is no.

Incorrect. Apple doesn't want you to load it on lower than G3/G4 but you can.

It will run slowly though.

If you really need to install on *really* aging hardware.

I wouldn't do it but if you must...

Edit: Remember it uses alot of HD and needs alot of ram even with the hack. You would need to turn off the nice graphics because things like the 'genie' effect would go at like 1 FPS. :(

rainman::|:|

macrumors 603
Feb 2, 2002
iowa
Yep, like MrMacMan said, you can run it on older systems. there's a utility fix that lets the installers run on older macs. BUT: two things about the 3400 in specific. First, it only goes up to 10.1, jaguar itself isn't supported as of yet through the fix. Secondly, SLEEP WILL NOT WORK. when you shut the screen, and open it, it WILL crash. You can manually disable sleep, but it's not really a desirable option.

So really, for practical use, there's no way to run X. I'm disappointed too, i love my 3400 but it's just going to have to live with 9.1.

sorry...

pnw

brownietyme

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Mar 10, 2003
Thanks all, I think I'll just leave OS 9 on it then and try to find someone interested in my eMac for a iBook or newer Powerbook..

mc68k

macrumors 68000
Apr 16, 2002
ryan rempel (the Xpostfacto developer) is working on 603/604 support. support is only a part-time job for him, so i wouldn't hold ur breath.

taking out the 604 code was for the better methinks. 10.1.5 is the latest OS it can run.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.