Jaguar Qs - wheel mouse & HP Deskjet printing problems

alex_ant

macrumors 68020
Original poster
Feb 5, 2002
All up in your bidness
So, all of a sudden, going from 10.1.5 to 10.2.1, my web browser mouse wheel scrolling is ACCELERATED!! ARGH! This is the most annoying thing ever! How do I turn it off?!?!?

Oh, and I can't print. I have an HP DeskJet 842C with the latest HP drivers (which are supposed to be compatible with Jaguar) but whenever I go to print something, the Print Center gives me the spinning blue candy cane on "Opening printer connection" and then stops the print job. BUT, when I print a test page using the HP-provided print utility, it works fine. Anyone else having this problem?

Thanks,

And DIE ACCELERATED MOUSE WHEEL SCROLLING DIE!!!

cleo

macrumors 65816
Jan 21, 2002
Tampa Bay Area, FL, USA
Are you sharing the printer between two machines? I had the exact same problem with my DeskJet 920C when printing from my iBook (printer being connected to the iMac, shared over Airport). I was unable to cancel print jobs on the iBook, but I opened the Print Manager on the iMac, was able to cancel all the pending jobs, and everything worked fine from there.

mischief

macrumors 68030
Aug 1, 2001
Santa Cruz Ca
Thing to try:

Use the HP installer to uninstall and re-install the drivers so they're "fresh".

Boot from the Jag disk 1 CD and use the disk utilities to "Fix Permissions".

We have an HP Deskjet 960C and a Deskjet D series multi-function and they both work via Rendezvous flawlessly after fixing permissions. Now if we just had an updated driver for the Designjet 500PS...... :rolleyes:

alex_ant

macrumors 68020
Original poster
Feb 5, 2002
All up in your bidness
First I uninstalled the printer driver, then I rebooted with the Jaguar CD and fixed permissions. I thought the problem would be gone when I saw that /private/etc/cups/printers.conf had incorrect permissions, but fixing that and then rebooting and reinstalling the printer drivers had no effect.

The printer is not on a network - it's connected straight to USB port #2 on the back of the computer. I can always reboot into OS 9 to print things, but really... who wants to do that. :)

Thanks for the help though,
Alex

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.