Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

mmcneil

macrumors regular
Original poster
Sep 4, 2001
Indianapolis, IN
I'm even more impressed with Apple's implementation of VM - today I watched it remove swapfiles on the fly as I quit VPC (a real memory hog!!!). With VPC and several other apps open I got up to 10 swapfiles, closed VPC and MS Office and it went down to 5 swapfiles in a few seconds. Very cool:D

evildead

macrumors 65816
Jun 18, 2001
WestCost, USA
swap

if you have a deditcated swap partition on a second drive (not the same as your OS), you will see some even more proformace jumps...

eyelikeart

Moderator emeritus
Jan 2, 2001
Metairie, LA
I've heard both sides of this arguement regarding swap partitions, and I honestly don't know which side to believe since I have yet to try it out.

I'd really love to see an article comparing exact systems, one with & one without swap partitions/drives just to see the difference.

Can anyone attest to both sides to give a more objective point of view?

mmcneil

macrumors regular
Original poster
Sep 4, 2001
Indianapolis, IN
Testing

I will be trying some testing on my 800Mhz tibook over the next week or so - the VPC test was just to see how much swap space I could get going - sort of a preliminary. I honestly believe that the performance gain with a single disk will be minimal at best - its greatest appeal will be the peace of mind of knowing where your swap is - appeals to those of us who have been using unix for a long time.

I also believe that a second drive will have an impact, just not sure how much. I'm still not sure how to get a reliable test. I have heard of a "window opening" application - that might be an ideal mechanism - anyone know of such an application?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.