Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Rocs

macrumors member
Original poster
Feb 27, 2008
Okay bare with me I had Finger Surgery 2 Hours ago and Pain Meds have kicked in. I have the follow setup on an iphone 3GS

Firmware / iPhone OS version = 3.1.3
Bootrom / iBoot version = ??where find??
Baseband / Modem Firmware = 05.12.01
Model = MB717LL

I am trying to JB so i can get Myfi and tether....

I read a few strings but am confused since i had read you could jailbreak but not unlock. I only need the jail break as i am on official carrier..

I downloaded the sn0wbreeze 1.5.2 and when going through it said can only jailbreak if previouly jail broken, true?

btw i run a PC running windows XP

Any help is Much appreciated especially in my current state pecking keys with one hand :(

Roc

pixelated

macrumors 6502a
Oct 21, 2008
Snowbreeze allows your to upgrade a 3Gs from 3.1.2 to a JB 3.1.3
You cannot JB a 3Gs with stock 3.1.3 loaded on it.

Qanbar

macrumors member
Jul 4, 2009
How do you downgrade to 3.1.2 as I have my shah gashes saved with saurik.

randomerratum

macrumors 6502
Dec 3, 2009
Santa Monica, CA
I just have to say; I love the idea of this thread. Not only do you intend on obviously using a laptop within hours of hand surgery which has relegated you to a hellish one-handed-hunt-and-peck state, while you wince through the mind-numbing effects of pain medication, but you intend on going through the iPhone jailbreaking process first in order to do so.

That is hard-core, man.

Qanbar

macrumors member
Jul 4, 2009
I followed your advice Applejuiced, its jailbroke etc but no carrier signal. Just no bars. does it take time to activate?
urgent reply needed, thanks.

Qanbar

macrumors member
Jul 4, 2009
Hey Applejuiced, first thanks for bearing with me. I downgraded to 3.1.2 (edited host file like saurik said) but it stayed In recovery mode (USB pointing to iTunes logo) then I ran blackra1n while in recovery mode. Loaded up in 3.1.2 jailbroken but no cell signal.
Please bear with me & offer any help you can as can't seem to work this out. I'm on windows with a launch day 3gs.

jpjandrade

macrumors member
Mar 17, 2010
Please, be aware that you are only downgrading the firmware, not the baseband, so this method will jailbreak your iPhone, not unlock it, so you must use an original carrier SIM. The new baseband hasn't been cracked yet, so if you don't have a SIM with the carrier the phone is locked into, I'm afraid you are stuck with a fatter iPod Touch :(

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.