Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Cod3rror

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Apr 18, 2010
Hey,

I'm on 4.1 and want to update to 4.2.1 before 4.3 comes out.

I'll delete all jailbreak apps and perform a backup.

When I restore the phone and update it to 4.2.1, should I restore the backup first and then jailbreak it or should I jailbreak it first and then restore the backup I took?

MikePA

macrumors 68020
Aug 17, 2008
I'm on 4.1 and want to update to 4.2.1 before 4.3 comes out.

I'll delete all jailbreak apps and perform a backup.

When I restore the phone and update it to 4.2.1, should I restore the backup first and then jailbreak it or should I jailbreak it first and then restore the backup I took?

Why would you bother deleting all the jb apps? That's a waste of time.

1. Use an app like pkgbkup to back up jb apps
2. Back up phone
3. Upgrade to 4.2.1
4. jb
5. Restore jb apps.

thelatinist

macrumors 603
Aug 15, 2009
Connecticut, USA
Neither. You should do a fresh install and sync only. You might lose your text messages, but you will save yourself a ton of headaches in the long run.

p0rkch0p

macrumors member
May 4, 2010
I had the same question. I have a 3GS jailbroken by jailbreakme.com. I'm on 4.0 now and want to upgrade to 4.2 using greenpoison. I'm new at rejailbreaking, so basically I just update the iOS in iTunes which erases my current jailbreak, then jailbreak with GP? This way I wouldn't lose my photos, texts, contacts etc? I'm trying to avoid restoring as new because that deletes everything and starts from scratch.

neko girl

macrumors 6502a
Jan 20, 2011
1. Restore, with restore from backup
2. Jailbreak
3. Install Cydia applications

There may have been headaches from Restore from Backup in 2.x, but I haven't experienced them in 3.x. I can't directly vouch for 4.x experience.

matthew23

macrumors 6502
Aug 27, 2010
This time I did a fresh restore to 4.2.1, then restored from iTunes the jailbroke with green poison and restored my Cydia apps. Great experience doing it that way. Before I upgraded then jailbroke then restored everything from iTunes and a lot was broken.

theanimaster

macrumors 6502
Oct 7, 2005
Bumping this thread as I have heard there's been changes with the new iOS6.1 jailbreak.

The instructions online say to jailbreak first, THEN restore with the backup.

Looks like I will find out in a few minutes!!!

theanimaster

macrumors 6502
Oct 7, 2005
OK. Here's what I did:

1. Backed up the iPhone

2. Restored the iPhone (aka wiped the iPhone, start from scratch): when asked to set up as new iPhone or restore from backup, I ejected the iPhone from iTunes (in short: I chose NEITHER).

3. Jailbreak'd

4. Jailbreak tells me I have to tap an icon on the homescreen. Whoops. It wasn't set up yet -- so I proceeded to skip the iCloud phase on the phone and set up wifi only.

5. I tap the icon, complete the Jailbreak process

6. Cydia's there, so I go ahead and install Activator. It works. Perfectly.

7. I open up iTunes AND RESTORE MY BACKUP.

8. Everything is restored, Cydia still works, as does Activator.

9. Yipee-kai-yay

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.