Jailbreak/iOS 4/3GS/Baseband 5.13.04....Am I stuck and for how long?

Discussion in 'Jailbreaks and iOS Hacks' started by jpbeck76, Jun 17, 2010.

1. jpbeck76 macrumors member

jpbeck76

Yes, I am an idiot and jumped the gun once iTunes 9.2 was released last night. Although I like the new features, I was trigger happy. No need to rip me since I know it was a stupid move.

Here's the situation:

Model: iPhone 3GS
    Baseband: 5.13.04
    Bootrom: No idea

My question: Since I think I'm pretty much stuck with 4.0 now, I plan to upgrade to the final version when release on Monday. I know I can't downgrade to 3.1.3. My question:

Will there be a jailbreak available for the 3GS running the new 4.0 OS using the latest baseband update (5.13.04)? I'm not concerned about unlocking. Just want to jailbreak.

I know there are jailbreaks currently out but it only addresses those running the older baseband and not the older one. I was originally running a jailbroken phone using Spirit. Any information would be very much appreciated.

- J

2. vertigomhs macrumors member

baseband has nothing to do with jailbreaking, its what blocks unlocks.

and from what ive been seeing around, iOS4 for the 3GS is already jailbroken, just sit tight and wait for it.

3. jpbeck76 thread starter macrumors member

jpbeck76

So the baseband update only pertains to the "unlocking" of the phone and not "jailbreaking"?

4. benflick macrumors 68020

benflick

The jaibreak should be out soon after the iOS4 release, if not, a week later at the most.

5. vertigomhs macrumors member

yessir:)

6. jpbeck76 thread starter macrumors member

jpbeck76

I guess you learn something new everyday. I thought it pertained to both.

7. ahfu25 macrumors 6502a

How did u install 4.0 on your 3GS. I keep getting error messages

8. jpbeck76 thread starter macrumors member

jpbeck76

1. Once I found out that iTunes 9.2 was released for Windows, I first downloaded and installed on my PC.

2. Downloaded iOS 4 GM

3. Opened iTunes, plugged the phone in.

4. Held the <shift> and clicked the restore button, found the .ipsw file and followed prompts.

9. jpbeck76 thread starter macrumors member

jpbeck76

just as long as I can get my jailbreak back, I will be happy. Might have to wait a few days but that's fine. I just kind of freaked out when I noticed the baseband updated. Thought I was SOL for a while.

10. Diode macrumors 68020

Diode

You can downgrade to 3.1.3 if you really want. There are guides out there that tell you how to.

You'll be still stuck with the higher baseband so unlocking would be a no go - but you could still jailbreak.

11. ahfu25 macrumors 6502a

Weird...last night it wasnt working ... I try again now and it works...go figure...well im happy!!...if you have another pc running itunes 9.1 you can jailbreak 3.1.3 again...I tried uninstalling itunes 9.2 then installing 9.1 again but i get a error messege...im not to worried about it im not selling mne untill theres a unlock for it. only 7 more days till x-mas!!!!

12. jpbeck76 thread starter macrumors member

jpbeck76

downgrade but also downgrade to the old baseband as well? Thought once that was updated, you were pretty much stuck.

EDIT: Nevermind....didn't read all of your post. :)

13. Diode macrumors 68020

Diode

You can downgrade to 3.1.3 but you will still have the ios4 baseband. Like I said, jailbreak will work - just not unlocking.

Attached Files:

14. jpbeck76 thread starter macrumors member

jpbeck76

My bad...jumped the gun and didn't read it all. That makes me feel better. I'm stuck with ATT so unlocking isn't a big deal.

15. Diode macrumors 68020

Diode

Yea it's pretty simple - you just do a restore in DFU mode and use a special program to kick you out of DFU mode after the restore is complete (because itunes does a check and freaks out when the baseband is different from what is expected). Just google it and you'll find some nice tutorials.

16. Jumpie macrumors 6502a

Jumpie

I don't mind upgrading to 4.0 when it comes out on Monday, I just want to jailbreak soon after so I can keep using MyWi.

17. benflick macrumors 68020

benflick

So this begs the question, will there for sure be an unlock for the 4.0 baseband (5.13.04)? I'm thinking of updating my 3GS to the GM. The baseband is 5.12.01 currently, so I can't unlock either way.
    What do you guys think, should I go ahead and update?

18. jpbeck76 thread starter macrumors member

jpbeck76

Agreed. My most used jailbroken app!

19. CKtoph macrumors 6502

Unlocking

All the talk about jailbreaking being fine with iOS4 and the upgraded baseband and the unlocking NOT is confusing me now.

I'm still under the impression that once the iOS4 comes out next week, regardless of baseband and firmware, 3G or 3GS, the phone will be unlockable on the new release by the DevTeam.

Is this correct? I apologize if this is a newb question. Just wanted some clarification.

20. Fry-man22 macrumors 6502

Fry-man22

...and currently crashes upon launch on my iOS4 GM jailbroken 3GS :( . I'm sure once iOS4 is released they will update it, but it sucks that I jailbroke 4.0 and now I may have to go back to 3.1.3 because I want to tether my iPad...

21. jlmitnick macrumors regular

Yeah, I just went back to 3.1.3 because a lot of the apps in a jailbroken iOS4 GM 3GS weren't working.

So right now I have my 3GS in 3.1.3 with baseband 5.13.04 running a spirit jailbreak, and things are fine. As said earlier, to downgrade from iOS4 back to 3.1.3, you put your phone in DFU, then just do a restore. When it's done you'll get an error, and be stuck in recovery mode, but you can use a program to kick your phone out of recovery mode and you'll be fine.

22. wolfgang666 macrumors regular

right so ive heard a lotta things...ive heard dat musicnerd claims that an unlock for the new os and baseband is ready and will roll out when the new os is released on monday...
    but can anyone confirm this if dis is true...
    i have an iphone 3GS 32gb iOS4 GM runnin on baseband 5.13.04
    its of no use at d moment since i need to unlock it...

23. iMrNiceGuy0023 macrumors 68000

I think they will wait for the new iPhone 4 to come out before releasing any new jailbreaks

how long did it take for the 3GS to be jailbroken??

[​IMG]

24. leggerk macrumors newbie

question for you guys:
    i have a 16gb 3gs 3.1.3 with 5.12.01 baseband..
    it has never been jailbroken or unlocked and I've been waiting for 3 months now for a way to jailbreak/unlock.... after reading around online it seems that redsn0w 0.9.5 and pwnagetool 3.1.5 or 4.01 are capable of jailbreaking unjailbroken phones... is this true? should i upgrade to apples final release on itunes and try to jail break???

25. wolfgang666 macrumors regular

u can jailbreak it wit spirit and unlock wit ultrasn0w 0.93