Jailbreak iPad to create Wifi hotspot and Airplay iPhone video to iPad over hotspot?

Discussion in 'iPad' started by knemonic, May 23, 2011.

1. knemonic macrumors 6502a

So, I have been attempting to do something a bit complicated.

I use StreamToMe and AirVideo to watch video on my iPhone, being played from my computer at home.

With Airplay, you can send that video out to an Airplay compatible device.

With Airframe, my iPad can be turned into a Airplay compatible device (which works when I am at home on my Wifi network, I can play video from the iPod or Youtube app to the iPad from the iPhone).

But the trick is, I would like to be able to watch movies from StreamToMe or AirVideo while on the road to my iPad, since I have the Wifi version.

So I jailbroke my iPad to use PDANet and MyWi to create a Wifi hotspot from the iPad, with the iPhone connecting to that hotspot.

PDANet did not work at all, where I could not see the Airplay devices at all on the sources button of my iPhone Apps.

MyWi worked only with the iPod iPhone app, because it is locally stored content. Youtube did not work because my iPhone is attempting to connect to the internet through the Wifi hotspot, which doesn't have data, is essentially a local network for my own purposes.

So, does anyone know of a way around this, to create a wifi hotspot on the iPad where the iPhone can connect to it but still use the 3G as its' internet connection and Airplay video to the iPad? By doing this essentially gives me the ability to access video content on the net without having to pay for a separate data connection if I had the 3G iPad. I take the train a lot, so this would be awesome.

I haven't been able to find much on this subject, since it is pretty in depth.

Any suggestions are totally appreciated!

2. Born Again macrumors regular

3. knemonic thread starter macrumors 6502a

Fantastic, care to share?

4. Lotso macrumors 6502

Lotso

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_3_3 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/533.17.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.0.2 Mobile/8J2 Safari/6533.18.5)

You could get an airport express. Most trains have plug outlets yes?

5. knemonic thread starter macrumors 6502a

Yes, I definitely gave that some thought. I agree, it would definitely work, but I was hoping to keep the spending of money to 0 if possible. I just finished grad school and that green stuff is new to me.

The situation works well when I had a laptop, since I could create ad hoc wifi networks on the train, but I decided to sell my Air to save up some money until I can find work.

I even thought about that new Seagate hard drive with a built in wifi network, which would be nice on the train to watch movies, but I have way more movies than that drive can fit, and that is 200 bones as well. The convenience is I only have to have my iPad and iPhone if I can get this to work.

6. Lotso macrumors 6502

Lotso

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_3_3 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/533.17.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.0.2 Mobile/8J2 Safari/6533.18.5)

If your strapped for cash you can try looking for a used airport on craigslist or eBay. I was going to suggest the Seagate next, but that's not very helpful.

7. knemonic thread starter macrumors 6502a

Ya, looks like the cheapest I see, buy it now on bay is $53. I only ride the train home at most twice a month, so I am not sure if it is really justifiable.

I could load a couple movies onto the ipad, but it would be awesome to have access to my whole collection everywhere I go to watch on the iPad.

The funny thing is this is a software issue. With Airplay now, you essentially don't need a 3G iPad to watch movies, that is if you jailbreak them.

MyWi says I could do a bluetooth connection between the two, but that would require me to jailbreak my iphone, which I don't care to do.

Guess I will just deal. I was hoping for a software solution, but sometimes you can't always get what you want. :)