Jailbreak iPhone 4s - iOS 5.0.1 ?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by shopsmart99, Feb 25, 2012.

1. shopsmart99 macrumors member

I'd like to Jailbreak my new iPhone 4s with the latest iOS 5.0.1.
    Is this possible at all ? and what software do i need to do this?

Thanks for any tips!

2. MattMJB0188 macrumors 68000

MattMJB0188

My advice - don't do it. I did it last night for the first time and I didn't like it. Most of the good cydia apps cost money and my phone seemed slower and lagged. Yeah you can change everything but I think the iPhone looks bad with changed fonts and different keyboards. Looks messy. Good luck!

3. Arnezie macrumors 65816

Arnezie

4. LiesForTheLiars macrumors regular

The experience of one does not equal the experience of many.

5. phantomsauce macrumors member

Go here and on the right select which version of Absinthe you need (Mac,Windows,Linux.) Follow the steps after running the program and you're good to go. There's also plenty of videos on YouTube that will walk you through it step by step. I recommend making a backup in iTunes before you start...just in case. :)

6. MattMJB0188 macrumors 68000

MattMJB0188

I was just sharing my experience with him. No different than people telling him to do it.

7. rocknblogger macrumors 68020

rocknblogger

He's not exactly wrong. The good Cydia apps do cost money and IMO some are overpriced. For the most part themes are terrible. While there are some decent ones I just don't think it adds much at all. After spending in excess of $25 I'm almost at the point of removing winterboard all together. As it turns out the stock iOS theme is damn good looking.

The primary problem with a lot of the themes is that while they might look very cool they make the icons unrecognizable which makes using the phone a chore.

And as mentioned before apps like bitesms while they do add some decent features at $10 is way overpriced. I think $4.99 would be fair. There are a number of $10 or higher apps that are overpriced. I bought Intelliscreen and I definitely regret that one. So many people rave about but it's really not that big a deal, especially now that for $.99 you can get notification center on your lock screen.

Jailbreak does takes one thing away from iPhone. It just works doesn't apply any longer. What I mean by that is that now you have all these tweaks and options which could be cool but you end up spending hours and constantly tweaking the damn thing. It's almost like having my evo back. I don't want an evo, I just want a "It just works" iPhone.

Will I unjlaibreak? Not sure yet. I've spent too much money to just get rid of it. But I may when 5.1 comes out.

8. zombiemom macrumors member

I used greenpois0n. Can't live without my jailbreak. I have a select few of apps that I hate to function without.

9. PNutts macrumors 601

PNutts

OP I would spend some time in this forum looking for the types of issues or successes people have when they JB. If you see something broken you can't live without, use a different package. :)

You didn't mention why you want to JB. That may get you more detailed responses.

10. lordofthereef, Feb 25, 2012
    Last edited: Feb 25, 2012

lordofthereef macrumors G5

lordofthereef

Here are a handful of cydia tweaks that I find indispensable (none of them have to do with theming... if you jailbreak for theming, you are missing out, IMO):

Intelliscreen X - just look this one up. This alone is worth the jailbreak IMO. $10, but worth $20
    Anyattach - attach files (and multiple pictures) to email
    CallBar - makes incoming calls into a notification banner so they don't interrupt
    FolderEnhancer - essentially pages for your folders (No stupid limit on number of apps in folders. Also allows folders within folders)
    iFile - Gain access to iOS file system
    Navigate For Maps - Allows you to import information from the google maps app into various appstore GPS systems (they just added Waze, so this is amazing!)
    Pull to Refresh Safari - title explains it all
    3G Unrestrictor - Keeps apps like iTunes and YouTube from restricting bandwidth on 3G
    5 Icon Dock - Also Self Explanatory
    *EDIT* I have added videos found on YouTube for all of these. Some of them might be of older releases and show outdated features. Sadly I can't watch the videos on these crappy work computers. :(

All of these total about $30. Some say that's expensive. I say I see people spend more on a single case. To each his own. If I had to pick just one, it would be intelliscreen X all the way, but I find use for literally everything else I listed on a weekly, if not daily, basis.

11. rocknblogger macrumors 68020

rocknblogger

What is it about Intelliscreenx that you find so indispensable? I just don't get it especially now with the $.99 notifications for lock screen? To me it's one of the most overpriced apps on Cydia.

12. DroidRules macrumors 65816

You just proved the old saying.... opinions are like butt holes, every one has one and they all stink.

Don't listen to jailbreak alarmists. It's not their fault they don't "get" jailbreaking. http://modmyi.com/jailbreak/ click and do what it says.

13. MattMJB0188 macrumors 68000

MattMJB0188

Thank you for proving your own point!!! Why create a thread if you don't want people's opinions?

If he wants to jailbreak more power to him. And I knew what I was doing. I said I didn't like how it made the phone feel. Jailbreaking is famous for taking away that "it just works feeling." Maybe YOU should read up on it.

14. Tulipo macrumors member

Activator
    Killbackground (works great when paired with activator)
    Zephyr (probably my favorite tweak)
    5 icon dock and multitask
    Shrink (for badges if using 5 icon)

Those are my favorite tweaks so far. Definitely worth JB IMO.

15. PNutts macrumors 601

PNutts

I get JB. I don't want it or need it. It's presumtuous to think someone that is happy with their phone doesn't "get" the idea of additional functionality. It's also legit for folks to be wary when they see the "I JB and this doesn't work now" threads.

16. tylertech macrumors regular

I say get the jailbreak. You might as well, you can always change it back if you don't like it. And a lot of the useful tweaks I use are free, and help out a lot!

17. MattMJB0188 macrumors 68000

MattMJB0188

Get SBSSettings. Awesome app!!!! I love that you can display your signal in dbm. Also allows those with a 4s to shut off 3G.

18. DroidRules, Feb 26, 2012
    Last edited: Feb 26, 2012

DroidRules macrumors 65816

I'm not saying you can't have or give your own opinion, I'm simply saying your opinion is wrong ;)

The reasons you gave to not jailbreak really isn't what the jailbreak experience is about. Sure it's part of it but jailbreaking is more of an attitude that you won't let apple control your phone (I know there are ways they do control it so let's not be silly ok). It's about the ability to change something if you want. It's the ability to see something cool on anothers iDevice and having the ability to make that change on the spot so you can have a better user experience with your phone. THAT'S what jailbreaking is about. So when I say that some people just don't get it, I believe you fit that bill. Of course that's MY opinion and you know what they say about those! :eek:
    As far as "reading up on it".... No need as I've been jailbreaking from OiPhone when it took an hour or more and you COULD brick your phone. (thanks to the very hard work of others with development and kick ask tutorials!) So I know how to manage a jailbroken device to get the functionality I demand with the speed and the "it just works" Apple puts in.

I didn't say you were an alarmist (which you did not accuse me of) OR didn't get jailbreaking. I quoted one person and made a general statement. If you put yourself in that catagory then that's on you, not me.