jailbreaking in a couple of days? with iOS 4 :(

Discussion in 'iPad Hacks' started by shyam09, Nov 10, 2010.

1. shyam09 macrumors 68000

shyam09

so i have a really quick question.
    im planning on buying the iPad in a couple of days (maybe next week, or the week after),
    here is the problem:
    iOS 4 is going to be launching soon (some say this Friday and for this thread, let's assume Friday)...
    now when you sync the iPad to iTunes, it will update to the latest iOS, right?
    so is there any way to stop that, or has the iOS for iPad been already hacked?

*im a noob when it comes to hacking, so please dont rant about how stupid i am.. it seems impossible that iOS for iPad would be hacked, but the iOS has come out for the iPhone and iTouch..*:)

2. audioteknika macrumors regular

The latest beta of Redsnow is compatible with iOS 4.2 GM..
    BUT Cydia (think jailbreak appstore) has not yet to been updated in order to work with 4.2.

3. Night Spring macrumors G5

Night Spring

If you buy an iPad after iOS 4.2 is released, it will most likely come with iOS 4.2 preinstalled. If you happen to get one with 3.2.2 on it, then all you have to do to keep it on 3.2.2 is to click "no" when iTunes asks you if you want to upgrade. Firmware upgrades never happen automatically, it always asks for your permission first.

If you get an iPad with 4.2 already on it, just sit tight until the jailbreak for it is released. It shouldn't take that long, I expect a week or two, at most. In fact, at this point, I wouldn't jailbreak a 3.2.2, but just wait for the jailbreak for 4.2, because when you upgrade to 4.2, you have to redo your jailbreak all over again, so it just isn't worth jailbreaking 3.2.2 when most likely you will have it for less than a month.

4. eastercat macrumors 68040

eastercat

Even if you don't jailbreak now, as has been suggested, you can still save your SHSH blobs with Tiny Umbrella. These blobs help you keep your jailbreak, even if you have to restore for whatever reason.
    Actually, I would recommend everyone save their SHSH blobs, whether they jailbreak or not. However, it's especially important if you do jailbreak.

5. LinMac macrumors 65816

That only works if you can load the 4.1 firmware to jailbreak it. The iPad has no 4.1 firmware publicly released.

6. metec macrumors newbie

A new modified version of PwnageTool can jailbreak 4.2.1. There's also a patch to get the current version of Cydia to work. I'm tempted to try it. The guide is posted on redmond.

7. Ikyo macrumors 6502

Ikyo

I tried that this morning with 0 luck on it. SSH won't be installed by default for you to get into the device. It is also a tethered jailbreak so you will need to do some manual file manipulation.

8. The Afroman macrumors regular

The Afroman

@metec - been trying all morning with the RedmondPie method.. and no go..
    I get the bundle and use pwnagetool to make it.. once it;s loaded.. i am missing the settings app. so i can;t change anything..
    Also when you restore you don't get cydia, as you have to "make your own" so you can;t install open ssh to ssh on to your ipad.

i tried using diskaid to go into the filesystem, but it will not it acts like it's not jailbroken.. so who knows.. all i know is this doesn;t work i am on restore 6.

i have emailed the writer of the guide with no reply, and they have no comment section so i can brainstorm with others doing it.. so SOL.

also safari crashes upon opening.. every time.

http://grab.by/7uWC
    http://grab.by/7uWG

9. Ikyo macrumors 6502

Ikyo

It deals with the sandboxing. The settings app was changed. The redmond pie method also forgot to include the tethered booting procedure needed to get it up and running. It really isn't ready for primetime right now.

10. metec macrumors newbie

Looks like the Redsn0w method with SSH will work but I'm not sure it's worth it at this point. 4.2 will be out this week. At least this will let the developers update their apps quicker.

11. maturola macrumors 68040

maturola

You don't need to stop anything, updating doesn't happen automatically, You need to do it yourself so don't worry.