Jailbreaking- Kiss it? or Ditch it?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by techiegeek1225, Jul 5, 2012.

1. techiegeek1225 macrumors member

Is Jailbreaking really advisable? Or should I just be contented with Apple’s or my carrier’s limitations? Any ideas are welcomed! Thanks.

2. lordofthereef macrumors G4

lordofthereef

I personaly can;t live without jailbreak. In terms of it being advisable, that's hard to say. While I have never EVER seen a phone damaged by jailbreaking, it also depends on what you are wanting to do with it. For me, Intelliscreen X bundled with messages+ makes jailbreaking a necessity.

3. aphexacid macrumors 6502a

aphexacid

Personally, the only thing i've ever JB'd my phone for is to tether. And thats obviously has become a no no.

Other than that, i don't want to turn my phone into what looks and acts like a chinese bootleg. I've never had good performance or battery life on when JB. Weird things always happening. Its just not worth the headache.

Tons of people do it and don't seem to have any issues (or don't seem to be bothered by these issues).

4. LIVEFRMNYC macrumors 603

Well there is some trial and error for those new to jailbreaking.

Installing the right stuff and just enough is key to having a JB iPhone run just as good or even better than a non JB iPhone.

I Jailbreak for .....

iFile
    SSH
    Allmail
    FolderEnchancer
    TetherMe
    User Agent Faker
    iProtect
    3G Unrestrictor
    Backgrounder
    SBSettings
    Protube
    And a couple of other apps and tweaks.

I mainly leave themes and huge UI changes alone, as those are the main causes for the iPhone being unstable.

Do research and find good cydia sources, and don't install everything you see under the sun. You should be fine.

Oh yea, I always go for untethered JB. I wouldn't advise anyone new to JB to go tethered.

5. nelly29 macrumors member

I will never have an unjailbroken iPhone again...,it is a totally superior device once jailbroken IMO

6. aphexacid macrumors 6502a

aphexacid

Actually, the other thing i did love on my iphone for the short time it was JB were the game emulators. I loved playing excitebike while droppin a deuce :D

7. techiegeek1225 thread starter macrumors member

Maybe I am just a bit protective of my iPhone, haha! The warranty factor also stops me from jailbreaking it. But again, I wanted to maximize my iPhone. Seems like maximizing it is quite risky but I know it’ll be all worth it. Oh well…. By the way, would you suggest me using the codes for jailbreaking or is it more advisable to go to someone knowledgeable, like a technician etc. who’d jailbreak my phone for me? I don’t wanna ruin the root settings then totally damage my phone.

8. BuckeyeMac macrumors 6502

I just jailbroke for the 1st time last weekend. Now that I've done it (very easy process), I wish I would have done it as soon as I got my iPhone.

I will jailbreak every iPhone I have from now on. Definitely worth it

9. utahman130 macrumors 6502a

utahman130

Jailbreaking has it's advantages. Root access, customizing, unlocking.

It can slow down your system some, but if you delete a few launchdaemons, you will be fine.

------

If you are worried about warranty, just restore it and take it in.

10. Lifesuxsbad macrumors regular

Lifesuxsbad

Oh Yeah

I have JailBroken every single iPhone that I have owned. Can't imagine not having my iPhone Jailbroken!! You can always do a restore on it if you do not like it and it will be like magic :D back to normal!!

11. chokem macrumors 6502

I see no downside to having a jailbroken device. The process is easy, the customization is great and the risk is negligible. I've had about ten iDevices, and they've all been jailbroken without issue.

12. Applejuiced macrumors Westmere

Applejuiced

JB makes my iphone 10 times better.
    I would hate to be on stock firmware.

13. swoosh0217 macrumors 6502a

swoosh0217

This!

14. Zaft macrumors 68040

Zaft

15. Medic311 macrumors 68000

Medic311

i just stumbled upon this thread. can someone PM me a link to which jailbreak to use for my iPhone 4S? it is running iOS 5.1.1

thanks guys

16. erayser macrumors 65816

erayser

I mainly jailbreak for useful tweaks and iBlacklist. It's also nice to customize my iPhone once in a while. Every jailbreak I'll try something new to change the look, and it feels like I have new iPhone. I tend to like my iPhone longer while I wait for my next upgrade.

17. mrsir2009 macrumors 604

mrsir2009

Well, are you content? :)

18. swoosh0217 macrumors 6502a

swoosh0217

Here you go: http://bit.ly/Nc9y4T

19. Medic311, Jul 6, 2012
    Last edited: Jul 6, 2012

Medic311 macrumors 68000

Medic311

ok

if i jailbreak, what happens to all of the apps currently on my iphone 4s and my ipad 2 ?

20. ECUSnare macrumors regular

I liked having mine jailbroken, but it seemed like it wouldn't run as fast (always took longer to open an app, the camera, unlock the phone, etc). For what I like, I don't really need it. I might do it again soon if I get bored, and I like how I can just restore from a previous backup without issues.

21. swoosh0217 macrumors 6502a

swoosh0217

Nothing will be erase upon your initial jailbreak. It just gives you the Cydia app in order for you to do some customization.

22. cloroxbleach4 macrumors 6502a

cloroxbleach4

You can youtube a video, if you're worried about it. It was pretty helpful for me when I first jailbroke my first apple device.

23. ZDDP1273 macrumors 6502

I love jailbreaking. Customization is the best part!

24. gsugolfer macrumors 6502a

gsugolfer

Since Apple isn't kind enough to give me SMS popups, using Handcent for SMS popups is about the only jailbreak tweak I've used.

25. DroidNoMore macrumors newbie

Coming from Android there were some things I was missing. Jail breaking solved just about all of them.