Jailbreaking my iPhone 3G (currently have T-mobile network and 3.1.3 firmware.)

Discussion in 'Jailbreaks and iOS Hacks' started by 012345789, Jul 2, 2011.

1. 012345789 macrumors newbie

I want to update it to the latest firmware 4.3.3.
    Some background information: I was given this iPhone and it was already unlocked with T-mobile network (no data plan) and jailbroken with 3.1.3 firmware using redsn0w. I have about 20 apps and a lot of contacts. Is it possible to jailbreak it to the latest firmware while keeping all of my apps and contacts and staying on Tmobile? Do I need to downgrade to a previous version? Will iTunes allow update to 4.3.3 with a jailbroken 3.1.3 Tmobile phone? What will happen to my network after updating, will it still be T-mobile? I am sort of a newbie at this stuff, so any help is greatly appreciated.

2. awadeee macrumors 68020

awadeee

Your iPhone 3G cannot be updated to 4.3.3; as 4.2.1 was the last update they released for it. All you would have to do is back up your iPhone in iTunes, and then use Pwnagetool (Mac) or Sn0wbreeze (Windows) to create a custom baseband preservation 4.2.1 firmware to preserve your unlockable baseband. You will restore to the custom firmware in iTunes after one of the two aforementioned programs puts your phone in pwned DFU mode and then when the restore is done, sync your phone to your backup. Go into your phone, run Ultrasn0w from Cydia and boom. Done!

3. 012345789 thread starter macrumors newbie

I don't have Sn0wbreeze yet, but what is this baseband preservation? And how do I restore to custom firmware?

4. PsstGreek macrumors 68040

PsstGreek

When you use PwnageTool or Sn0wbreeze you make a custom firmware. The custom firmware allows you to restore/upgrade the iPhone and it doesn't change the baseband you currently have.

So your baseband 5.12.xx will be preserved when you use the custom firmware upgrading to 4.2.1

5. awadeee, Jul 3, 2011
    Last edited: Jul 3, 2011

awadeee macrumors 68020

awadeee

The ability to unlock depends on your baseband. Older basebands have been unlocked, newer ones have not. Hence why you want to preserve the old one and not upgrade to the new one.

A newer baseband comes with newer firmware.

To restore to custom firmware, you first create it with one of the two aforementioned programs, allow that program to put your phone into pwned DFU mode, and then go into iTunes and click the "Restore" button on your iPhone's page while holding the shift key (option key on a Mac).

6. 012345789, Jul 3, 2011
    Last edited: Jul 3, 2011

012345789 thread starter macrumors newbie

Okay I just finished backing up my iPhone.

What I'm getting from you guys is: First, download Sn0wbreeze to create a custom firmware so that I can keep my unlocked iPhone on the current T-Mobile network. I haven't downloaded the program yet; will it be easy to know how to do this? Is it user-friendly?

I haven't updated my iPhone to the latest version yet; should I do that before downloading sn0wbreeze?

After I restore to a custom firmware, THEN I jailbreak it?

7. cross1media macrumors newbie

cross1media

Your custom ipsw will be allready jailbraked, use iReb for restore preparations

Postat de pe iPhone

8. 012345789 thread starter macrumors newbie

Sorry, but I don't really understand what that means.

9. cross1media macrumors newbie

cross1media

Use Sn0wbreeze to build your custom 4.1.2 firmware (ipsw), fallow the instructions, open iTunes, keep shift key pressed and click restore, poit to your custom ipsw on your desktop and voila!

Think Different...

10. awadeee macrumors 68020

awadeee

Make sure you back up before you do this. You can sync afterward to restore your information.

Remove your T-Mobile SIM card and keep it out for the entire process.

1. Download Sn0wbreeze.

2. Download the iPhone 3G 4.2.1 IPSW file from http://www.felixbruns.de/iPod/firmware/ . An IPSW file is the iPhone's firmware.

3. Run Sn0wbreeze. It is extremely user friendly. It will ask you for an IPSW; use the one that we downloaded from Felix. If it gives you the options, choose to have hactivation. Since you're on T-Mobile, I'm going to assume that you don't have an AT&T SIM card, which is necessary for activating the phone. If you use hactivation, then you're already activated after the restore.

4. The program will create for you a custom firmware file. After this, follow the steps the program gives you to put you in "pwned" DFU mode. The phone must be plugged into the computer. This version of DFU mode is special because it gives your phone the ability to load custom firmware.

5. Go into iTunes and make sure you're on the page that displays your iPhone's information. You can find this by looking at the big vertical bar on the left hand side that has Music, Movies, TV shows, etc. Click on your iPhone.

6. While holding the shift key (or the option key on a Macintosh computer), click the restore button. A window will open up. Navigate to where you saved the custom firmware file (I believe that Sn0wbreeze saves it to the desktop by default) and select it. iTunes will then restore to it. After the restore, your iPhone will already be activated and jailbroken. That's right; you don't need to jailbreak, it's already done for you!

7. Connect to WiFi with your iPhone and go to Cydia. Search up Ultrasn0w and install it.

8. Reboot and insert your T-Mobile SIM. If it does not pick up right away, toggle Airplane Mode on and off. Bam. Unlocked!

I think you mean 4.2.1. ;)

11. Maschil macrumors 6502a

Maschil

this is alittle off subject, but i just jailbroke my iphone 3gs "my first iphone" and the process went wonderfulllll. I do hope that you can get your situation figured out...... thanks

12. awadeee macrumors 68020

awadeee

Congratulations and welcome to Macrumors. :D

13. 012345789 thread starter macrumors newbie

Thanks for your very comprehensible guide. I just have one question. I don't know if the person who unlocked this before used hactivation and I myself do not have an AT&T SIM card. Should I download hactivation then?