Become a MacRumors Supporter for $25/year with no ads, private forums, and more!

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001
https://www.macrumors.com/images/macrumorsthreadlogodarkd.png

112218-apple_tv_mounted_itunes_500.jpg

New Apple TV mounted in iTunes
As noted by The Apple Press, Twitter user StealthBravo has confirmed that the new Apple TV can be mounted and restored in iTunes, easing the way for jailbreakers to bring new functionality to the set-top box.
This means that the jailbreak community may soon be able to offer us tools, as they currently do for other iOS devices, to save SHSH blobs, jailbreak the Apple TV, and install 3rd party software. Maybe an app store for Apple TV may come sooner than any of us may have expected after all.
The Apple TV offers a Micro-USB port to allow for service and support connectivity, but the port also offers a means for users to physically connect the device to their computers to employ the techniques required in order to jailbreak the operating system.

112543-apple_tv_2010_usb_500.jpg

Apple TV's Micro-USB port
With yesterday's discovery that the Apple TV offers 8 GB of internal storage, there appears to be ample space available for the installation of additional software on jailbroken devices.

Article Link: Jailbreaking of New Apple TV Eased by iTunes Restore Capabilities

yetanotherdave

macrumors 68000
Apr 27, 2007
Bristol, England
As someone in the UK, appleTV is currently useless, an appstore, or jailbreak store, I will probably buy one the day either is announced. Then 4OD, iplayer, ITVplayer, lovefilm, it'll be a useful box.

Comment

jacobo007

macrumors member
May 14, 2010
Any chance Apple did this knowing the jailbreakers would create an appstore to see if the apps take off and then implement their own?

Comment

m4c1nt05h

macrumors member
Jun 28, 2007
i haven't been into Jailbreaking my iPhone or iPad, but if i get one of these, I may JB it if it's really easy.

Comment

Sep 17, 2007
As someone in the UK, appleTV is currently useless, an appstore, or jailbreak store, I will probably buy one the day either is announced. Then 4OD, iplayer, ITVplayer, lovefilm, it'll be a useful box.

Get yourself a US account and download 'til your heart's content. They are quite easy to set-up if you Google the right instructions. ;)

Edit - I magine Murdoch and Branson will fight tooth and nail to keep the terrestrial catch-ups out of Apple's hands. Also, from Apple's point of view, the cost of hosting free content is probably prohibitive now the hardware is 'only' £99.

Just can't see that happening but LOVEFiLM may be a goer.

Comment

yetanotherdave

macrumors 68000
Apr 27, 2007
Bristol, England
Get yourself a US account and download 'til your heart's content. They are quite easy to set-up if you Google the right instructions. ;)

I have a US account, it's not itunes content we are really missing out on, it's things like we have lovefilm not netflix, guess which apple supports out the box and which it doesn't. Plus all the local IPTV services I named.

Comment

yetanotherdave

macrumors 68000
Apr 27, 2007
Bristol, England
What, you don't have DVDs over there?

I've loved my current Apple TV for 2 years now and I've bought very little material from iTunes for it.
ok, useless was strong, but it's currently nowhere near as functionally useful as the US version.

I'm talking about the new appleTV, not the old one. That was a different beast with an emphasis on local content over internet streaming.

Comment

GQB

macrumors 65816
Sep 26, 2007
Any chance Apple did this knowing the jailbreakers would create an appstore to see if the apps take off and then implement their own?

Right... Apple has no idea what their plans are for this device over the next couple of years and needs amateurs to show them how to create successful products.

Comment

GQB

macrumors 65816
Sep 26, 2007
I have a US account, it's not itunes content we are really missing out on, it's things like we have lovefilm not netflix, guess which apple supports out the box and which it doesn't. Plus all the local IPTV services I named.

I'll actually be leaving my ATV v1 hooked up. Even at only 40G it makes for a nice little backup device for my photos and music. I don't necessarily want to keep our iMac constantly running and logged into one ID or another just to access that content.
I actually see my ATV v2 use being mostly for AirPlay streaming and whatever apps end up being developed.

Comment

Ashyukun

macrumors 6502
Jul 19, 2008
Right... Apple has no idea what their plans are for this device over the next couple of years and needs amateurs to show them how to create successful products.
Well, it is arguable that this is what happened with the iPhone- or at least that the succes of the Jailbreak community forced Apple's hand regarding the creation of the app store. But it would be foolish to think that they completely ignore the Jailbreak community- I have ZERO doubts that they have plans for apps on the :apple:TV down the line, but watching the sales numbers after a successful JB and opening it up for JB apps would definitely be useful information for them regarding what kind of bump they might expect when they do it 'officially'.

Comment

notjustjay

macrumors 603
Sep 19, 2003
Canada, eh?
Yeah, I was going to ask if anyone else thought that Apple might be slyly encouraging people to experiment with the device. They seem to have made it as easy as possible to do so. Easy to restore, the "maintenance" USB port, and speculation of an empty spot on the motherboard for a dock connector to be soldered on. Not that they intentionally left that there (it was probably the same part they reused from the iPad) but they didn't go to any trouble to take it off or make it unusable, either.

Personally, I don't care about apps. All I want is for Apple TV to be able to access DLNA shares. Heck, I'll even keep the media in M4V format and purchase them from iTunes.. I just want to be able to store my movies and music on one place -- on my NAS -- and be able to serve them up to any Apple TV in the house. At $99 this device could be clipped behind every TV or projector in the house -- if I can access my media.

Comment

WiiDSmoker

macrumors 65816
Sep 15, 2009
Dallas, TX
Yeah, I was going to ask if anyone else thought that Apple might be slyly encouraging people to experiment with the device. They seem to have made it as easy as possible to do so. Easy to restore, the "maintenance" USB port, and speculation of an empty spot on the motherboard for a dock connector to be soldered on. Not that they intentionally left that there (it was probably the same part they reused from the iPad) but they didn't go to any trouble to take it off or make it unusable, either.

Personally, I don't care about apps. All I want is for Apple TV to be able to access DLNA shares. Heck, I'll even keep the media in M4V format and purchase them from iTunes.. I just want to be able to store my movies and music on one place -- on my NAS -- and be able to serve them up to any Apple TV in the house. At $99 this device could be clipped behind every TV or projector in the house -- if I can access my media.

Technically you can still have your media on a NAS. It just has to be in iTunes and iTunes opened.

But I know what you mean. I should be able to use a NAS without the iTunes being opened or the computer even being on.

Comment

Millah

macrumors 6502a
Aug 6, 2008

Exactly what I was thinking. Apple knows damn well what would happen if they put a usb port as well as 8gb of flash on board :D

Jailbreaking is a beneficial thing for Apple. It allows them to have their control over user experience for the 90% of ignorant people who don't even know how to use toaster ovens. But for the savvy people that like to do things, they have an easy way of doing it, and Apple knows it.

Comment

notjustjay

macrumors 603
Sep 19, 2003
Canada, eh?
Technically you can still have your media on a NAS. It just has to be in iTunes and iTunes opened.

But I know what you mean. I should be able to use a NAS without the iTunes being opened or the computer even being on.

Well, yes, but I don't want to have to set up a computer running 24/7 just so I can view a movie on a whim. I suppose I could buy a Mac Mini or small PC but there's extra expense involved with either of those options as well, as well as power consumption.

Right now the choice I'm looking at is an Apple TV (if I can solve the NAS problem in a reasonable way) or the Boxee Box. The Boxee Box doesn't officially work with DRM'd purchases from iTunes, though.

Comment

NickK1066

macrumors regular
Jul 23, 2007
So big question will be - will the XBMC developers support this?

Recently the XBMC crew have really culled the supported based down to Intel. With this being ARM based and close to iPhone/iPad then I strongly doubt this will happen.

Comment

mkjj

macrumors 6502a
Jun 2, 2003
Liverpool
I too did not want to leave a Mac on all the time so I bought 2 of the old ones when they went down in price! Iv'e got myself a US iTunes account as well and i'm pretty pleased with the result.

Comment
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.