Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Ivan P

macrumors 68030
Jan 17, 2008
Home
If you update while jailbroken, then you'll end up with the latest official update but no jailbreak (basically, it gets deleted). So pretty much as soon as Apple releases the next software update, and patches the flaw that allows jailbreakme.com to work, then anyone that updates will have no jailbreak until another way to jailbreak the system is found (this can sometimes take months).

bella92108

macrumors 68000
Mar 1, 2006
If I do jailbreak now, what's the worse that can happen to my phone?

Well two things:

- Apple\San Mateo County Sheriffs MAY bust down your front door in the middle of the night and take your iPhone away from you.

- If you accidentally download iCombust 4.0 and then press Swipe to Combust, your phone will melt-down in your hand and burn you.

Ok three things:

- Steve Jobs may order the "death grip" on your neck.

Ok, I just had to... the forum was just asking for a smart-ass response, and today it's my duty to provide it.

Bottom line is jailbreaking is perfectly safe, but if you rely on a carrier unlock you just have to be super careful to NOT update because Apple wants to kill your unlock at all costs :) 100% safe though, just keep your SHSH backed up.

Welcome to the dark side :)

dhlizard

macrumors G4
Mar 16, 2009
The Jailbreak Community
Hi all,

I used to have an iPhone 3G that was permanently jailbroken,

If I do jailbreak now, what's the worse that can happen to my phone?

No such thing as a permanently jailbroken phone. Any update or restore wipes out jailbreak

If you jailbreak now, what's the worst that can happen. If you add too many mods to 3G, it can slow down phone. That is the worst. Just restore then, jailbreak gone.

shotts56

macrumors 6502
Sep 23, 2008
Scotland
Your house could go on fire whilst you are running the jailbreak - that may be the worst thing that could happen.

I don't think the jailbreak would actually CAUSE the fire, but who knows ...

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.