Jailbroken Iphone 4.2.1 restore without updating?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by HardatWerk, Mar 17, 2012.

1. HardatWerk macrumors newbie

Heres the situation, I tried reseting the phone using the menu. Upon restart it froze with the jailbroken skeleton logo. Did some research and followed procedures to restore using itunes. itunes demands that I restore & update to latest software. I cant let that happen as I need my jailbreak. I use the Gevey sim to unlock with T-mobile as carrier. Can anything be done ?:(

2. moonman239 macrumors 68000

Not unless you have SHSH blobs. Otherwise, you'll have to update to 5.1 and use a tethered jailbreak until an untethered one comes out.

3. Applejuiced macrumors Westmere

Applejuiced

Very bad move.
    You clicked the erase all content on a JB device.
    You will always get stuck at the bootlogo and the phone will need a restore.
    What you can do is create a custom 5.1 ipsw with redsnow. Put your iphone in Pwned DFU mode using redsnow and restore to that custom 5.1 to maintain your unlockable baseband.
    BTW 5.1 is a tethered JB so each time you have to restart the phone or you battery dies you will need redsnow to boot tethered.
    Unless you have shsh blobs saved on cydias server and you can go to 5.0.1 untethered.
    If anything I posted above sounds chinese research more before you attempt anything. If you restore to official firmware with itunes you lost the unlock for good and wont be able to use it on anything but AT&T.

4. kaielement macrumors 65816

You can manually download 4.2.1 and re boot to that if you like and then re jailbreak it and unlock it. It's easy but you need to know kind of what you are doing I would say google it or you tube it.That might be good for now until the unlock for 5.1 is better.

5. Applejuiced macrumors Westmere

Applejuiced

Wish it was that simple but nowhere near what you posted above.
    With the release of the iphone 3GS Apple implemented something called "shsh Blobs"
    Without having stored those locally or on cydias server you cannot restore any 3GS or iphone 4 to any firmware version but the latest one.
    And the unlock has nothing do with with the firmware and everything to do with the baseband version.

6. kaielement macrumors 65816

Yes you are right about the baseband version and I guess I failed to mention that so I am sorry. The baseband might be a compleatly different problem than I thought was going on, though it sounded like he had the phone unlucked at one point so I didn't think that was the porblem. I thought this was just an issue with the jailbreak (firmware). But yes you can download older firmware versions and restore to them so I don't really see the problem in that regards. I had a 3gs before my 4 and had a situation where I updated my phone and then I had to down grade my firmware because I wanted to have an untethered jailbreak. I just downloaded it and restored to the older firmware until the newer one had a better jailbreak. I am just saying it can be down in regards to the jailbreaking. As to the baseband that's a compliantly different situation.

7. Applejuiced macrumors Westmere

Applejuiced

On a 3GS you dont just download the older firmware and restore like that.
    You need shsh blobs, read up on it and educate yourself before you try to give false info to others.
    Maybe you had them available and your hosts pointed to cydias server for the downgrade restore to work.
    But it doesn't just work the way you think or posted above.

8. kaielement, Mar 18, 2012
    Last edited: Mar 18, 2012

kaielement macrumors 65816

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sNcF8wwBzYs&feature=related

Sorry if I wasn't to specific about how to do this and I did mention to check out google and youtube on how to do this. If you don't believe me I posted a link with a guy telling us how to do it and there are plenty more videos out there so please let's drop this and move on in life.

9. Applejuiced macrumors Westmere

Applejuiced

Whatever you say.
    I'm sure if there's a YouTube video it changes everything:rolleyes:

10. MusaedRR macrumors newbie

Is It Ok If I Restore and Update A Jailbroken Device ? HELP !