Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

blueflower

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Sep 26, 2006
Hey everyone, inspired by the post below. I hear people keep saying that android is more customizable than ios, gives the user more control etc. However, is this overwhelmingly the case?
Prior to owning my first iphone I had the samsung galaxy s2 i9100 and nexus 5 as android devices. These devices were both rooted. I have had a far more satisfying customization experience with ios so far. The customizations look more polished and professional. Best of all it is far easier to achieve and far less risky to jailbreak ios in comparison to rooting an android device. I will not even get into the whole custom rom scene. In my humble opinion there is no competition for a jailbroken ios device.
My biggest question is when will apple incorporate the best jailbreak tweaks and/or buy the rights to these apps and incorporate them into ios?
The fact is the average ios user does not jailbreak their device. I am pretty sure if Apple were to add more features to their ios using the most popular jailbreak tweaks as a guide, Apple would rule the high end smartphone market even more.

.....The thing is, for me at least, the allure of an iPhone has always been a jailbroken OS combined with the aesthetics of the device (though the 6 is disappointingly plasticky). I'll begrudgingly put up with the stock iOS 8 for a few months until a jailbreak is released, but if jailbreaking weren't possible in the first place, I wouldn't even consider buying an iPhone. A jailbroken iPhone is the best device on the market by a wide margin. A jailed iPhone, especially these days, is nothing special against the other high-end devices available.

I can't wait for IntelliscreenX, f.lux, Background Manager, Winterboard, Five Icon Dock, and all the other tweaks that have me using my 5 as often as my 6.

Dwalls90

macrumors 603
Feb 5, 2009
Apple is trending in the direction of slowly opening up portions of customizing iOS, but in order to maintain their record as "most secure mobile OS, I would never expect them to actually open up to the concept of root access for risk of security.

ntegra

macrumors regular
Oct 10, 2010
iPhone just needs more innovative and groundbreaking patents.

Keep the OS closed and let the jailbreaking hackers make the iphone ahead of its class.

lyceumHQ

macrumors 68000
Aug 4, 2010
Android is customisable out of the box. You can add themes. Change fonts. Put icons where you like. There's no need to root for stuff like that.

Without a jailbreak what customisation does iOS offer? No themes. No don't changes. Icons go where Apple say.

Yes, if there's a jailbreak available then great. But with android you don't have to rely on that.

Take iPhone 6 users. They have zero customise options. I could go and buy a £100 android phone today and set it up in exactly the way I choose. But if I buy a £600 apple phone. I can't. In this day and age simple things like themes or fonts should be standard. I can't even put the data on the status bar on my iPhone 5 without a jailbreak.

----------

iPhone just needs more innovative and groundbreaking patents.

Keep the OS closed and let the jailbreaking hackers make the iphone ahead of its class.

Apple could (and has) taken a lot from cydia tweaks. Where do you think control centra came from? Funny how it's very similar to SBSettings. Funny how bitesms has had a quick reply for years and now Apple has it. Funny how pretty much everything apple has added to its OS in the last fee years, control centre. Notification centre has cydia tweaks that did exactly the same for years. Tweaks which have now become obsolete.

And it's funny how apple haven't paid a penny to the developers that made them.

I usually buy the latest phone the day the jailbreak for that phone is released. This year will be no different (well, depending on of they've sorted the bending issue. Or at least acknowledged it as an issue).

ntegra

macrumors regular
Oct 10, 2010
Android is customisable out of the box. You can add themes. Change fonts. Put icons where you like. There's no need to root for stuff like that.

Without a jailbreak what customisation does iOS offer? No themes. No don't changes. Icons go where Apple say.

Yes, if there's a jailbreak available then great. But with android you don't have to rely on that.

Take iPhone 6 users. They have zero customise options. I could go and buy a £100 android phone today and set it up in exactly the way I choose. But if I buy a £600 apple phone. I can't. In this day and age simple things like themes or fonts should be standard. I can't even put the data on the status bar on my iPhone 5 without a jailbreak.

----------

Apple could (and has) taken a lot from cydia tweaks. Where do you think control centra came from? Funny how it's very similar to SBSettings. Funny how bitesms has had a quick reply for years and now Apple has it. Funny how pretty much everything apple has added to its OS in the last fee years, control centre. Notification centre has cydia tweaks that did exactly the same for years. Tweaks which have now become obsolete.

And it's funny how apple haven't paid a penny to the developers that made them.

I usually buy the latest phone the day the jailbreak for that phone is released. This year will be no different (well, depending on of they've sorted the bending issue. Or at least acknowledged it as an issue).

I guess that's just the way the world turns though. Yeah apple could have paid them, or at the very least hired them, but it's a dog eat dog world out there, apple saw the good tweaks, they saw how much the community liked them, and stole them for their own good.

lyceumHQ

macrumors 68000
Aug 4, 2010
I guess that's just the way the world turns though. Yeah apple could have paid them, or at the very least hired them, but it's a dog eat dog world out there, apple saw the good tweaks, they saw how much the community liked them, and stole them for their own good.

Exactly. Give them a different name and there you go. The little guys who do all the hard work creating these tweaks have zero chance against a multi billion dollar company even if they were peed off about it.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.