Jailbroken iPhone. How to back up and sync?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by collegeshirt, Nov 20, 2011.

1. collegeshirt, Nov 20, 2011
    Last edited: Nov 20, 2011

collegeshirt macrumors newbie

Hi everyone,

Sorry for being such a newb. I'm new to the whole jailbreaking scene. I recently jailbroke my iP4 about a month ago. I'm currently on 4.3.2 using redsn0w. Anyway, before I had jailbroken my phone I obviously did a back-up. I even took it a step further and made a copy of that file going through the iTunes directory just in case if that back up ever got over written by a new jailbroken back up. [​IMG]Of course the reason I did this is because if I ever decide to go back to stock I'll have a fresh "non jailbroken" back up with no reminants so that I can restore to.

So my question to everyone is, and please don't flame because it is a legit question, how do I back up my phone now that it is jailbroken? After using it jailbroken for over a month, I've downloaded new apps from the app store, took pictures, have new sms/mms messages etc. If I back up my phone now won't I technically have a "jailbroken back up"? I hear it will save JB reminants on that back up correct? So for example, if I ever decide to restore and set up as new and than use that "jailbroken back up" won't I have jailbroken reminants left over?

I know iOS5 is coming out soon and I would like to upgrade to it when it comes out. I don't mind losing my JB or all the JB apps but I don't want to lose out on all my app store apps that I bought as well as texts, pics etc. So with that said, what is the best way to back up my JB phone so that when I restore and set up as new and use that back up it won't have any traces/reminants of a JB phone??

Hope that makes sense please help.

2. jekyoo macrumors 6502

1) iOS 5 has been out for the last month.

2) just back it up to your computer. There is no difference when you back up a non-jailbroken or jailbroken iPhone. Before I had my 4S, I had a jailbroken 4... I just restored my jailbroken 4's back up on my 4S.