Jailed For Charity

Discussion in 'Politics, Religion, Social Issues' started by skunk, May 27, 2009.

1. skunk macrumors G4

skunk

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/world/americas/8071113.stm
    What an inspired message to send the world.

2. .Andy macrumors 68030

.Andy

Have I got this right? They were sent to gaol for a life sentence because they raised money for humanitarian efforts (controlled by Hamas) which in turn allowed Hamas to direct other funds to their military? Is there more to the story or is that it? As it stands from that article it's a bit of a stretch :confused:.

3. Demosthenes X macrumors 68000

Demosthenes X

Like it or not, Hamas is the democratically elected government of the Palestinian people. It strikes me as hugely hypocritical for the USA to preach democracy, and then ignore it when it sees fit.

That said, I personally would not chose to support Hamas. But I can certainly sympathize with the desire to support the Palestinian people, and Hamas is the most direct outlet to do so.

From my reading of this article, the punishment seems like a severe overreaction.

4. skunk thread starter macrumors G4

skunk

I find the whole story utterly depressing. This is a purely political trial and verdict, without even a fig-leaf of justification. To sentence men in their fifties to sixty five years in jail for donating to humanitarian causes is disgusting. How many years do Bush, Cheney, Rice and the rest deserve for donating billions to Israel for buying weapons to be used in furtherance of the illegal military occupation of Palestinian lands?

5. Eraserhead macrumors G4

Eraserhead

6. skunk thread starter macrumors G4

skunk

Missing a few zeros I feel.

7. Eraserhead macrumors G4

Eraserhead

The Americans don't donate directly for Israeli defence expenditure though do they? I thought they gave money for education etc. so that the Israelis could afford to spend more on defence.

8. skunk thread starter macrumors G4

skunk

http://www.haaretz.co.il/hasen/spages/894255.html

9. Macky-Mac macrumors 68030

Macky-Mac

certainly Hamas does do charity work........but organizations with active military wings collecting for charity for widows and orphan? That always reminds me of when the IRA used to collect donations in the USA for the benefit of widows and orphans in Northern Ireland.

10. Eraserhead macrumors G4

Eraserhead

11. skunk thread starter macrumors G4

skunk

Remind me of the General Election the IRA won again.

12. Macky-Mac macrumors 68030

Macky-Mac

well at the time these charges were filled, Hamas and the IRA had won about the same number of General Eelections......which would be none.

At the time this money was being raised for Hamas, they still refused to participate in elections

13. skunk thread starter macrumors G4

skunk

Good point, but the sentencing is still obscene.

14. Peterkro macrumors 68020

Peterkro

Sinn Fein won 73 seats of 105 in the election of 1918 and given they were essentially the political wing of the IRA I'd say that was a pretty good mandate. Incidentally a considerable number were guests of the Brit prison service at the time.

15. skunk thread starter macrumors G4

skunk

I shall clearly have to revise for my exams. :eek:

16. leekohler macrumors G5

leekohler

It's Texas. Did you expect this to be fair? Just one more reason to let them secede.

17. Delta608 macrumors regular

Delta608

Are you saying the the trial was not fair..?? Got a link..?? Are you aware the Federal Jurors are picked from VOTER registrations and NOT DRIVERS License rolls...(Ill let you draw your own conclusions ) As far as seceding, you wouldn't want to pay 10.00 a gallon for gas would you...?? Are you also aware that Texas is the only state to kick another countries butt !!! (Little fun fact !!)

They were not jailed for charity, they were jailed for money laundering and supplying monies to an organization that is designated a terrorist group for killing YOUR COUNTRYMAN....

18. iShater macrumors 604

iShater

Which countryman is that?

19. blackfox macrumors 65816

blackfox

A couple questions spring to mind:

1. If Hamas was considered a terrorist organization by the US since 1995, did this charity/these individuals not know the risks they were taking operating? Relatedly, were they prosecuted on activities between 1995-2001 only?

2. Were, as a result of this prosecution, donor lists made public to the government and/or the public at large? I just wonder how many people's lives have been affected by this...

Personally, I think this is crap. Charity work often takes place in parts of the world where those that hold power (and are the only ones who can get things done), are often somewhat morally suspect by our standards. That does not make the need for charity any less, or change the ultimate moral obligation behind it. Around the world, countless NGOs and charities are forced to work with warlords, rebel armies and the like (officially or not), because otherwise their work would be impossible. This necessary association should not imply anything other than this fact.

That said, since their activities were against US law, there is little that can be done, short of amending the law and adjusting the punishments accordingly. Right or wrong, the execution of laws must be enforced, or we fall closer to anarchy. That this often does not happen, is not necessarily an excuse to continue the trend - hopefully this will start a dialogue regarding this complex issue -- especially since Hezbollah is poised to take a stronger position in Lebanon in the coming elections.

20. Delta608 macrumors regular

Delta608

January 27, 2002, Jerusalem, Israel. A Palestinian woman triggered a massive explosion in downtown Jerusalem killing one elderly Israeli and injuring more than 150, including American Mark Sokolow, his wife, and 16 and 12-year-old daughters. Sokolow had earlier survived the September 11 attack on the World Trade Center, escaping from his law office on the 38th floor of the South Tower before it collapsed.

July 31, 2002, Jerusalem, Israel. Seven people including four Americans, Marla Bennett (24) of Marla Bennett David Gritz Benjamin Blutstein Janis Ruth CoulterSan Diego, California, David Gritz (24) of Peru, Massachusetts, Benjamin Blutstein (25) of Susquehanna Township, Pennsylvania and Janis Ruth Coulter (36) from New York were murdered when a remote-controlled bomb detonated in the Frank Sinatra Cafeteria on Jerusalem's Hebrew University Mt. Scopus campus. Eighty-six others were injured. Hamas claimed responsibility for the attack.

October 17, 2003, Gaza Strip, Israel, Three Americans were killed and another wounded on October 15, 2003 when an explosion tore through a van that was part of a diplomatic convoy traveling through the Gaza Strip. The killed and injured Americans were part of a security force for the diplomatic officials. The State Department identified the slain Americans as John Branchizio (36) Mark T. Parson (31) and John Martin Linde Jr. (30) all employees of DynCorp, a Virginia-based security firm.

Many, Many more....Hamas Charity, I have a bridge to sell you...