Jailrboken Iphone stolen but location services are turned off. anything i can do?

Discussion in 'Jailbreaks and iOS Hacks' started by genetic, Jul 6, 2011.

1. genetic macrumors 6502

hey guys, i know this is a long shot but i figured id ask anyway.

my phone was just stolen in the gym on my campus. the phone had a PW and was Jailbroken. now the location services are turned off so theres no way i can track it correct? the find my phone feature was never set up. any suggestions on how to go about this would be greatly appreciated.

the only thing i can do right now is go to my campus police station and see if there was a way to check the gym cameras since i know exactly when i was there and around the time it was stolen. could they ID the guy on the camera and find him?

honestly, id really like to inflict pain on this dude...just sayin :mad:

2. rnystery macrumors member

Tbh, i think you should see the video camera - ask police for footage, find the guy, beat him senseless, throw him to steve jobs apple store

the end,

goood luck though!

3. genetic thread starter macrumors 6502

well i called and disconnected the phone and reported it stolen. if he tried to activate wouldnt it not work now? thatd only make sense (and pretty dumb if thats not the case, lol) .

and yea, im pretty annoyed atm so if i did actually find the dude hell be sorry. not trying to act like some "tough douche" but people like that really should just burn in hell. i have a seething hatred for people who steal.

4. rnystery macrumors member

I believe he couldn't activate it with passcode and no other email/contract info.. so yeah

he could 'attempt' to, and ur in college right?
    anyways next day go to police and ask for footage!!

otherwise see if there is warranty plan for u for loss/stolen

5. rnystery macrumors member

6. genetic thread starter macrumors 6502

yes im in college, and im going there now to speak with them. no warranty for that unfortunately. thanks for the response

7. genetic thread starter macrumors 6502

that last post says it doesnt cover stolen phones. are we looking at the same thing? lol :p

8. rnystery macrumors member

hm. well on the apple site it says they do cover that :p
    oh well

personally camera is the best way to find

9. genetic thread starter macrumors 6502

i agree. how would i be able to find the serial number if i dont have the phone? lol. any ideas?

10. awadeee macrumors 68020

awadeee

Unfortunately, AT&T will not block phones. All he/she has to do to use your phone is put it in DFU mode, restore with iTunes and then insert his/her SIM into it. Fortunately, you had a pass code, and they probably tried to input the password too much and locked it for a really long time and had to restore it, or they just didn't bother because they couldn't figure out the pass code and then restored it.

However, if you are on another carrier, there may be a chance that they will blacklist the IMEI and it can no longer be used in the country.

The best of luck with getting a new iPhone and I'm sorry for your loss! :(

11. rnystery macrumors member

u should cancel ur iphone plan now.. so if he has it he wouldnt have use of it

12. TheSlimOne macrumors regular

1: Open Preferences in iTunes. (In Mac OS X, choose iTunes > Preferences. In Windows, choose Edit > Preferences.)

2: Click the Devices tab.

3: Position the mouse over a backup to display the phone number, serial number, and IMEI or MEID of the backed-up iPhone.

13. Epic Orange macrumors member

Epic Orange

i do not want to sound like a bad guy or anything, but if this guy is smart, he could put it in pwned DFU mode. It is possible since you are turning the iPhone off and injecting the device through DFU mode with iREB.

So it is even possible for him to restore. Coming from an amateur point of view. I do not want to make the OP even more depressed, but you are going to have to face the facts. I know it really sucks losing your iPhone, but they only thing you can do is hope and pray the person who stole your iPhone is someone who is a non-geek and is someone who does not know anyone who is a geek.

14. awadeee macrumors 68020

awadeee

You don't even need pwned DFU mode man. Regular DFU mode and a restore will get rid of any password in place and allow the phone to be sold and re-used.

15. truncj macrumors member

AppleCare does NOT cover stolen/lost or accidentally/water damaged iPhones/MacBooks/iPads/etc.

The only thing AppleCare covers is manufacturer defects for 2years. It is identical to the 1year warranty you receive when you purchase the phone, but it is extended for 2 years.

Do your research before recommending a product.

16. rnystery macrumors member

hey calm down >.>

17. jimmy83 macrumors 65816

So using a pincode is a waster of time then?

18. Knowlege Bomb macrumors 601

Knowlege Bomb

In my opinion, yes.

The chances of somebody actually being interested in your data are much lower than the chances of somebody wanting to return your lost phone. If you have a passcode, the good samaritan trying to return your property has no way of finding you.

19. awadeee macrumors 68020

awadeee

Not necessarily. The thief can't retrieve the data because they can't get into the phone until after they put it in DFU mode and do a restore to factory defaults.

There are pros and cons to this:

Pros:
    - Bad people can't use your phone to screw with your contacts, text people, call people, go on your facebook, etc.
    - They can't use your phone to go over your data, text, or minute allowance.

Cons:
    - If, by chance, a good person has found your phone because you lost it, and not because they stole it, they have no way to return it to you because they can't get inside the phone to find anything. (However they could look in the top left corner of the screen and at least know what carrier you're on and return it to them.)

20. From A Buick 8 macrumors 68040

From A Buick 8

Sounds like someone (and maybe there is one already) should create an app, that after so many failed attempts to enter the code, that a popup will appear with some contact data on the owner.

This contact data can be editable so each person can choose how much info they want to share with the "good Samaritan"