James Blunt

Chubypig

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Aug 30, 2004
My brother bought the James Blunt CD and I'm addicted! I don't know why, but every time I listen it gets better and better. Does anyone else like him, and if so, are there other artists like him that you'd recommend? I can't stop listening! :D

Lacero

macrumors 604
Jan 20, 2005
Not fair. This should go into Music Discussion. :D

I wrote a post on Texas but that got no replies. :eek:

Thanks for the info on James Blunt. I'll check out his album.

Chubypig

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Aug 30, 2004
Lacero said:
Not fair. This should go into Music Discussion. :D

I wrote a post on Texas but that got no replies. :eek:

Thanks for the info on James Blunt. I'll check out his album.
Oops :eek: I never knew the Music Discussion forum existed! sorry. But, now that it's here, we can still talk about him. :D

Applespider

macrumors G4
Yup, I think I mentioned in him in an 'Artist you've never heard of' earlier this year.

I 'discovered' him thanks to the iTunes free single of the week last November and bought the album soon afterwards. It is great. I saw him doing an acoustic set at the Apple Store in Regent St in June (which is available on iTMS in the UK at least) and in concert in October. Some of his new tracks, not yet released, are really good. There's one in particular about killing someone who dies in your arms which is very moving.

Chubypig

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Aug 30, 2004
Applespider said:
Yup, I think I mentioned in him in an 'Artist you've never heard of' earlier this year.

I 'discovered' him thanks to the iTunes free single of the week last November and bought the album soon afterwards. It is great. I saw him doing an acoustic set at the Apple Store in Regent St in June (which is available on iTMS in the UK at least) and in concert in October. Some of his new tracks, not yet released, are really good. There's one in particular about killing someone who dies in your arms which is very moving.
where did you listen to these unreleased tracks? At the concert? I would love to hear them!

Applespider

macrumors G4
Chubypig said:
where did you listen to these unreleased tracks? I would love to hear them!
He played them at the two live performances that I've been to; he said that they'd be on the next album. I was so disappointed that they didn't make it to the 'Live in London' iTMS set.

Have a look on the forums at jamesblunt.com; they sometimes have links to live performances that he's done with links to download them.

Jon'sLightBulbs

macrumors 6502a
Jan 31, 2005
Chicago
This guy is pretty good. He has a sweet little lyrical style that's cute, if you're into that. I checked him out when he opened for Duran Duran and Beck in Rome. The Italians loved him... but strangely reacted completely nonchalantly when Beck came out.

For Blunt though... one of his more popular tracks is "High." I like it.

OutThere

macrumors 603
Dec 19, 2002
NYC
Seriously good stuff...Virgin radio got me addicted to it over the summer when they played him roughly a million times each day on Drivetime/Early Breakfast (Midnight through 4 am my time :eek: :eek: :D :eek: )

SamIchi

macrumors 68030
Aug 1, 2004
Yea this should be in the Music Discussion... Anyways,

Funny, I just "acquired" this album. It was suggested in another forum for people that liked Jack Johnson. I haven't listened to it though. So much music :D

lem0n

macrumors regular
Mar 12, 2005
Milano...
ooooh... his voice is a bit funny but it's strangely addictive... i love it when he goes "my life is brilliant" and just stop...

lem0n

macrumors regular
Mar 12, 2005
Milano...
yes, Daniel Powter, that video for "Bad Day" is awesome, the first part where there are 6 people... the juxtaposition is really nice... and he's CANADIAN!!!! [ok, get a bit work up over the Canadian part :p ] his voice is a bit better than Jame Blunt...

Sic

macrumors 6502
Oct 26, 2005
Southampton UK
he's just another in a long line of boring soppy male songwriters, a la Daniel Powter, Damien Rice, David Gray, Jack Johnson, Jason Mraz, (although he's got a great voice and i can just about bear to listen to him) and John Mayer, who all just seem like really poor versions of Dashboard Confessional. seems that at the moment, we're intent on not hearing anything new, rather regurgitations of things that have been done to death a thousand times before (see: The Killers, Franz Ferdinand, Futureheads, Kaiser Chiefs, Funeral For a Friend, My Chemical Romance (although some of their songs are ok))

luckily, enough decent and varied music has been released outside the vein that i normally listen to, to hopefully keep me going through this "dry-spell". i must admit that the boredom i feel towards the current music scene has forced me to listen to things i wouldnt normally listen to, and it's enriched my collection somewhat. so i guess i can indirectly thank these talentless drones for something.

iGav

macrumors G3
Mar 9, 2002
lem0n said:
ooooh... his voice is a bit funny
That's putting it mildly... I'm at a loss to explain how someone who can't sing in tune, never mind carry one can be sooooooooooooooo popular, when the likes of Pete Yorn go completely unnoticed here in the UK. :confused:

jimN

macrumors 6502a
Jun 23, 2005
London
iGav said:
That's putting it mildly... I'm at a loss to explain how someone who can't sing in tune, never mind carry one can be sooooooooooooooo popular, when the likes of Pete Yorn go completely unnoticed here in the UK. :confused:
Someone's not a fan! Can't say i agree with you. Would definitely suggest you check out Damine Rice if you like James Blunt. And why not listen to some Tom Mcrae if you can him on iTunes. He's a tad miserable and the first two albums are better than the third but he has some terrific songs.

Sic

macrumors 6502
Oct 26, 2005
Southampton UK
jimN said:
Someone's not a fan! Can't say i agree with you. Would definitely suggest you check out Damine Rice if you like James Blunt. And why not listen to some Tom Mcrae if you can him on iTunes. He's a tad miserable and the first two albums are better than the third but he has some terrific songs.
/case arrested

DJY

macrumors 6502a
Dec 20, 2003
Canberra AUST
I agree.. James Blunt's album is GREAT!

This has become the most played CD in my collection over the past week (figurately speaking of course). Can't remember the last time I actually played a CD but iTunes, iPod etc... this one gets the two thumbs up big time!

I particularly like Goodbye My Lover, High, Your Beautiful, Billy, Cry, No Bravery.

Dunepilot

macrumors 6502a
Feb 25, 2002
UK
Blunt

I would refer you to what people who genuinely care about music think about James Blunt, as expressed here (contains swearing).

James Blunt writes trite music for people who've never heard anything challenging in their lives, and exists so he can be mass-marketed to idiots who see a picture of some silhouetted guy on a psychadelic Doors-esque marketing poster and think to themselves how edgy that is. Pathetic, really pathetic.

There are singer-songwriters playing at all over the UK playing for free at open mic nights who make a mockery of Blunt's abilities.

Instead of James Blunt, I would suggest people listen to the following bands:

Andy, Glenn and Ritch
Popular Workshop
This Ain't Vegas
Meet Me in St Louis

Suspended
Jan 18, 2005
I like that 3 wise men song but everything else is just overplayed. Hes the next "Coldplay" for sure.

Suspended
Jan 18, 2005
Dunepilot said:
I would refer you to what people who genuinely care about music think about James Blunt, as expressed here (contains swearing).

James Blunt writes trite music for people who've never heard anything challenging in their lives, and exists so he can be mass-marketed to idiots who see a picture of some silhouetted guy on a psychadelic Doors-esque marketing poster and think to themselves how edgy that is. Pathetic, really pathetic.

There are singer-songwriters playing at all over the UK playing for free at open mic nights who make a mockery of Blunt's abilities.

Instead of James Blunt, I would suggest people listen to the following bands:

Andy, Glenn and Ritch
Popular Workshop
This Ain't Vegas
Meet Me in St Louis
ok but what if you just like the sound rather that the deep messages in music? :confused:

iGav

macrumors G3
Mar 9, 2002
Dunepilot said:
That's putting it mildly... (heheh)

May I suggest...

There are karaoke-singers playing all over the UK playing for free at karaoke nights who make a mockery of Blunt's abilities.
heheheheh.