James Stavridis, Retired Admiral, Is Being Vetted as Hillary Clinton’s Running Mate

Discussion in 'Politics, Religion, Social Issues' started by lowendlinux, Jul 14, 2016.

1. lowendlinux Contributor

lowendlinux

http://www.nytimes.com/2016/07/13/u...idis-hillary-clinton-vice-president.html?_r=0

These two are peas in pod..

I guess she really does want to alienate the left

2. Admiral macrumors regular

Admiral

Or anyone interested in any kind of egalitarian society.

3. aaronvan Suspended

aaronvan

Why would Hillary select a running mate who is unknown to 99.9% of American voters? It's not like her neocon credentials aren't solid.

Not going to happen.

4. jkcerda macrumors 6502

jkcerda

5. lowendlinux thread starter Contributor

lowendlinux

They don't know and I don't think they'll like him when they find out either.

6. LizKat, Jul 14, 2016
    Last edited: Jul 14, 2016

LizKat macrumors 68040

LizKat

This was to tease Trump about vetting a military dude (Mike Flynn) whose soclal issue picks turned out to be not what the GOP had in mind.

This guy Stavridis would make any establishment Republican proud... up to and including that prior investigation of him involving "having improperly used a military aircraft to fly with his wife to an exclusive party in Burgundy, France with winemakers."

Ai, the games.

But I agree: it's not going to happen. The Republican establishment is already going to vote for Clinton, so Stavridis is unnecessary as VP pick, although might end up in her Cabinet or more likely coffee-klatsch cabinet.

So moving right along. Think it's Tim Kaine for the VP slot. A Scots-Irish guy from Virginia able to speak to Hispanics in Arizona or Colorado in fluent Spanish, what's not to like. (Edit: and a former DNC chair, so still has connections to Dem ground operations all over the country).

7. vrDrew macrumors 65816

I suspect (hope?) that this vetting is merely part of a process where Clinton further embellishes her military credentials.

I'm quite sure Adm.Stavridis is an accomplished, decent, and skilled individual.

But I really fail to see what he would bring to think ticket from a political standpoint. Or, once elected, what he might bring to the table from the perspective of getting things done in Washington.

Make no mistake about it, whoever gets elected President is going to have a very wide field of expert military officers to consult with and advise. Thats not the problem.

Personally, I think it shows a bit of a vacuum in terms of the leadership of the Democratic Party. That they don't have enough Governors, Senators, or House leaders to pick someone with the combination of name recognition and electability. There are some, to be sure, but there aren't a couple dozen whose names leap out as being outstanding VP selections.

In many ways, Obama picking Joe Biden was one of his early best decisions.

8. aaronvan Suspended

aaronvan

Iraq War, drone warfare, extrajudicial assassinations of U.S. citizens, expanding NATO, Afghanistan, Syria, Yemen, chaos in Libya: Hillary's military credentials are just fine.

9. LizKat macrumors 68040

LizKat

If Hillary Clinton's credentials ran strictly to dressing aides in dashikis and posing for pics with the heads of NGOs in central African countries, and talking about the need to step up Peace Corps involvement abroad in the interest of peace and economic development for all... you'd be thrilled, just admit it now and we'll let you off for the disapproval implicit in that post.

Of course her credentials are perfectly fine in the area of understanding how the US and its allies work together in intelligence and military areas to try to keep a lid on this crazy planet.

To steal from ol' prince Bandar's notorioius quote he once made on TV about corruption, and put it to my purpose here, "We did not invent chaos."

10. DearthnVader macrumors regular

DearthnVader

I'm 99% sure it's Tim Kaine, for what that's worth. Shores up VA and the White male vote, it's a wise pick.

11. MadeTheSwitch macrumors 6502a

MadeTheSwitch

After watching him today, I have to say he doesn't do much for this white guy. But I suppose I am not the target market. I'm not sure who I would like for her VP pick. I keep bouncing around between Booker, one of the Castro brothers, or Warren. Depends on the day you ask me.

12. DearthnVader macrumors regular

DearthnVader

It's a wise pick, not the wisest pick........but then I don't want Hillary to win.

13. Admiral macrumors regular

Admiral

Cory Booker is also an astonishing, shameless liar and fraud. Cut from the same cloth as Obama, Hillary and Lieawatha. He seems like a nice guy, but golly, why does he tell such self-aggrandizing lies?

14. aaronvan Suspended

aaronvan

15. rdowns macrumors Penryn

rdowns

I thought the same but as someone pointed out, Kasich will then appoint an R to replace him. DOn't think the Dems can afford to lose a seat.

16. thermodynamic Suspended

thermodynamic

I need to read up more on both, but right now Pence is starting to look the better of the two.

Then again, neither has been confirmed yet. Just rumor mill fodder.

Here's a recent and interesting opinion piece, using the same goofy web design structure as USA Today for some reason:

http://www.militarytimes.com/story/...s-would-clintons-perfect-anti-trump/87034098/

All I've observed is that Americans have lost so much prosperity over time that they've embraced Trump because all the other GOP candidates looked more like the same out-of-touch people. The GOP should be thankful that Trump could work to rebuild their castle (But the ivory towers don't need to be 300x or higher taller anymore... we're all Americans, which the GOP used to remind us with...)
    --- Post Merged, Jul 15, 2016 ---
    Also, isolationist or otherwise, there are some relevant reasons for maintaining a certain presence worldwide. Preferably a good one or rebuilding/continuing to rebuild what was damaged last decade.

17. lowendlinux thread starter Contributor

lowendlinux

Stavridis is a hawk and he will turn of the left, much of our lamented build up in eastern Europe is his plan. He will bring some additional credibility to Clintons campaign and he is/was a fairly engaging speaker which she could also benefit from. If she picks him it'll also quell some of the Benghazi hype since it was his troops that would have gone.

18. aaronvan Suspended

aaronvan

Hillary won't care if the Dems lose one Senate seat if she believes Brown is her best choice.

19. Jess13 Suspended

Jess13

If Killary strokes clots out again, only more seriously this time, [she] cannot have a non-War Party member assuming POTUS’s role. Hillary wants to make G.W. Bush’s reign of terror look like child’s play. Thanks, so-called “liberals” who enabled her by supporting and voting for the worst person in 2016.

20. MadeTheSwitch macrumors 6502a

MadeTheSwitch

You're welcome. Glad I could help.