Japan and the culture of the phone.

Discussion in 'iPad' started by iZac, Mar 8, 2010.

1. iZac macrumors 68000

iZac

A thought occurred to me the other day, I remember about a year or two ago I read a report about a good chunk of Japanese teenagers who are computer illiterate. As you can well guess by the title of the thread, it turns out that all the social media, IM, email, net access - all the ways these kids could communicate with their friends, was in their pocket. Now it might seem like this is a massive degradation of computer literacy and the technology of a phone limiting their digital experience. But if you think, all these kids will have access to computers in school and home, but they choose to only use this kind of device because of its convenience and its focused nature.

Meow, perhaps the iPad is more geared toward simply consuming media, but it also offers all the functionality that kids like this want / need to keep in touch with their peers. (except being pocketable) And also does potentially a hell of a lot more with the impending explosion of the iPad app store, with developers scrambling in the gold rush.

So perhaps the iPad is the future of personal computing and its ingress will be slow and subtle enough that we wont quite realise it until we're all thumbing through macrumors on our 5th generation iPads, wondering why we ever needed a desktop metaphor computing experience.

(or maybe the future is an iPhone with a mini display port, we'll see!)

2. gratui macrumors member

Same as Korea. I have lived in Korea for 2 years. In these countries, local Mobile producers (LG, Samsung...) are very good. The citizens love their domestic products.