Japan - great price, but near end of lifecycle, to buy or not?

alexfromscotlan

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Apr 11, 2014
3
0
I'm in Tokyo at the moment and I noticed the 15" 2.3Ghz Retina display is 251,800 yen. Which is roughly 1475 gbp (pounds sterling).

On the apple UK website the equivelant laptop is 2199 gbp (pounds sterling).

That's a whopping £700 difference.

But then I noticed the retina display is nearing the end of it's cycle, so I'm struggling to decide to take the chance now to get a massive discount and buy the existing model here, or wait and pay more in the UK when the next one comes out.

Any thoughts?
 

maflynn

Moderator
Staff member
May 3, 2009
63,993
30,534
Boston
We will probably not see a new rMBP until this fall. If that is considered end of the lifecycle then so be it, but I'd still buy it.
 
Last edited:

yjchua95

macrumors 604
Apr 23, 2011
6,725
230
GVA, KUL, MEL (current), ZQN
I'm in Tokyo at the moment and I noticed the 15" 2.3Ghz Retina display is 251,800 yen. Which is roughly 1475 gbp (pounds sterling).

On the apple UK website the equivelant laptop is 2199 gbp (pounds sterling).

That's a whopping £700 difference.

But then I noticed the retina display is nearing the end of it's cycle, so I'm struggling to decide to take the chance now to get a massive discount and buy the existing model here, or wait and pay more in the UK when the next one comes out.

Any thoughts?
There's bound to be a minor Haswell refresh sometime this year, which will only bring slightly more powerful processors, but the Kepler GPUs are still most likely to remain there. Apple won't update just the GPU architecture and leave the CPU architecture untouched.

Intel Broadwell and NVIDIA Maxwell will most probably only make its appearance in rMBPs in Q1 2015.

Go for the current Haswell 15" rMBP if you can't wait, although I'd wait for Maxwell as Maxwell promises huge performance improvements.

Oh by the way, the keyboard on Macs sold in Japan may be of the Japanese variant with hiragana and katakana strokes on the keys.
 

yjchua95

macrumors 604
Apr 23, 2011
6,725
230
GVA, KUL, MEL (current), ZQN
The next time I'm in Japan, I might consider buying a Mac there, although it's only 74 quid cheaper than in Malaysia :D

But it's WAY cheaper in either country than in New Zealand that's for sure!
 

UBS28

macrumors 65816
Oct 2, 2012
1,044
331
I'm in Tokyo at the moment and I noticed the 15" 2.3Ghz Retina display is 251,800 yen. Which is roughly 1475 gbp (pounds sterling).

On the apple UK website the equivelant laptop is 2199 gbp (pounds sterling).

That's a whopping £700 difference.

But then I noticed the retina display is nearing the end of it's cycle, so I'm struggling to decide to take the chance now to get a massive discount and buy the existing model here, or wait and pay more in the UK when the next one comes out.

Any thoughts?
Based on what is the current rMBP near it's lifecycle? In 2014 Q4 is a new upgrade coming for the rMBP and it's not even certain it will feature the Broadwell CPU, so it could just be a spec bump of 0.1 ghz.

You can keep playing the waiting game and wait till 2014 Q4 without knowing in advance what the upgrade will be. If Broadwell is not used in the 2014 Q4 and still Haswell, then you probably end up waiting till somewhere in 2015.
 

accountforit

macrumors 6502a
Jan 22, 2014
676
0
I am not sure why, but it seems most people on this forum lack common sense and only think about benchmarks and what specs are written on paper.

OP - If being financially responsible matters to you at all, then buy now at a huge discount. Most people don't need, and won't take advantage of, any improvement that will come in the near future.

Which do you prefer?

- extra cash

.....or

- getting on this forum and bragging that you have the latest and greatest
 

SkimMilk168

macrumors regular
Mar 19, 2014
150
2
Singapore
I say grab the Japanese mbp! You are saving a lot! If the new release is going to be so tempting, you can sell the current set without much loss! :p
 

simon48

macrumors 65816
Sep 1, 2010
1,315
88
I wouldn't call this model end of lifecycle at all. I myself would buy now.
 

alexfromscotlan

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Apr 11, 2014
3
0
All,

Thanks so much for the good advice. I will buy now :)

I'm not that knowledgeable in the upcoming changes / technology so it's good to get opinions from experts here.

I'm using it primarily for photo editing (lightroom / photoshop), I tend to process quite a high volume of photos, I think the current generation performance should be more than adequate :)

Alex
 

simon48

macrumors 65816
Sep 1, 2010
1,315
88
All,

Thanks so much for the good advice. I will buy now :)

I'm not that knowledgeable in the upcoming changes / technology so it's good to get opinions from experts here.

I'm using it primarily for photo editing (lightroom / photoshop), I tend to process quite a high volume of photos, I think the current generation performance should be more than adequate :)

Alex
Have fun! It sounds like it's a great deal.
 

Tsuchiya

macrumors 68020
Jun 7, 2008
2,309
367
I'm in Tokyo at the moment and I noticed the 15" 2.3Ghz Retina display is 251,800 yen. Which is roughly 1475 gbp (pounds sterling).

On the apple UK website the equivelant laptop is 2199 gbp (pounds sterling).

That's a whopping £700 difference.

But then I noticed the retina display is nearing the end of it's cycle, so I'm struggling to decide to take the chance now to get a massive discount and buy the existing model here, or wait and pay more in the UK when the next one comes out.

Any thoughts?
Late reply, but I'd also pull the trigger. Even with student discount, that same machine is nearly £300 more expensive here.

Also since the next major update isn't until later this year it is still going to be current for a while longer, and at that price you could sell and upgrade without taking much of a hit (if at all)