Japan Headed Back To The 80s?

Discussion in 'Politics, Religion, Social Issues' started by Huntn, Jul 24, 2015.

1. Huntn macrumors G5

Huntn

2. rdowns macrumors Penryn

rdowns

Does this mean Sony will be relevant again?

3. aaronvan Suspended

aaronvan

I remember the 80s when Japan was supposed to take over the world with their fifth-generation computer and Donkey Kong. We were all going to be coding in PROLOG and Tokyo real estate was going for $200,000/square foot.

Then the bubble burst and that was that. Japan still hasn't totally recovered.

4. Huntn thread starter macrumors G5

Huntn

I'm still irritated they purchased MGM... Or should my ire be directed at the previous money grubbing turn-coat owners? ;)

5. 63dot macrumors 603

63dot

I talk to my relatives there and like the USAs expansion in real estate before fall, Japan did same and paid for it.

Too much in Hawaii and then Australia and inability to sell off didn't help. Having trillions in property not liquid will kill you with smallest downturn.

Bubbles are a beech and individually here in California people are going on to burst with current bubble and make Japan look fortunate. What part of "no more than a single digit gain in real estate per year" do people have problems understanding?

6. ElectronGuru macrumors 65816

Most bubbles (especially stock/realestate) result from leveraged speculation - borrowing to invest in the hopes of a quick sale. Then the stock gets used as collateral, then the value drops, then the 'investor' is left holding the bag and everyone panics (see China this year). Which itself would be fine, except they tend to take the country with them, then the public has to pay to clean up the mess (see USA repeatedly).

You can't prevent all borrowing but we/they could at least eliminate margin incentives that make it so easy.

7. MacNut macrumors Core

MacNut

Walkmans for everyone!

8. chown33 macrumors 604

Sounds groovy, man.

No wait... I missed by a couple decades.

9. aaronvan Suspended

aaronvan

Those were the days, huh? A friend modded my Walkman to use two C batteries. Thing would run for days.

10. Renzatic Suspended

Renzatic

Gramps, what the hell am I paying you for?
    I hope you still have it, cuz I'd love to see someone pictures on how it was done.

Though this whole Japanese and Walkman thing reminds me of the time a friend of mine went to Japan, and brought back a super tiny Walkman that was barely larger than the tape it was playing. This was back in 94-95 or so, when CDs were hitting it big, but we were all still impressed by the size of the thing.

...and now I've got a phone that's smaller than it, that stores something like 20,000 songs, and is 1000x more powerful than any computer we had at the time. Ah, technology.

11. VulchR macrumors 68020

VulchR

12. aaronvan Suspended

aaronvan

Long gone. This was like 1985 or so. All he did was attach a C battery holder like this on the back with a couple screws. Took him like ten minutes. As I recall, it didn't even require a resistor or anything. Much better than replacing the AA batteries every hour.

[​IMG]

13. Praxis91 macrumors regular

Praxis91

14. Dmunjal macrumors 65816

Greece, Puerto Rico, Japan. Keynesian economics is reaching its limits.

Looks like deflation is taking over the world as Central Banks are losing the war.

I'm sure Krugman et al will say we didn't spend or print enough.

15. Huntn thread starter macrumors G5

Huntn

Whatever the path forward is, I'd say Capitalism based on self enrichment is not viable for an overall productive and prosperous society. Of course we as a species have to pick up some new views and standards, regarding our collective existence along with a distaste for corruption.

16. Dmunjal macrumors 65816

There is no such thing as capitalism in the era of central banks.

17. Praxis91 macrumors regular

Praxis91

Capitalism has increased the standard of living more than any other system. Who would have thought that a system based on voluntary trade would work out. LOL

The current system (which is controlled by the central bank cartels) is cronyism. You can only have this extent of cronyism with a federal behemoth whether it's our banker-controlled US government, or the banker-controlled EU.

18. Dmunjal macrumors 65816

Exactly.

QOTD. Why do liberals who complain about corruption in government want even more government?