Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

During the new year in Japan, retailers often offer a Fukubukuro, or "mystery bag," which is a grab bag filled with a random assortment of products sold at a steep discount.

Apple has participated in this tradition for quite some time, and will once again be offering its "Lucky Bag" in several different Apple Retail Stores across Japan on January 2.

apple_store_lucky_bag_2014-800x329.jpg
Lucky Bags, which Apple will sell this year for 36,000 yen, or $345, usually contain items like iPods, headphones, and t-shirts. A few fortunate folks, however, have received big-ticket items in past years, like iPads or MacBook Airs, which have made Lucky Bags ultra popular in Japan.

Apple's grab bags are sold as is, and returns are not accepted unless a product is defective. Still, the bags have been quick sellers on previous occasions, with many people lining up the night before to get their hands on a bag.

As with past years, Apple's Lucky Bag promotion is limited to Japanese customers, though other countries, like China, may see the same traditional Apple Store sales during the new year.

Article Link: Japanese Apple Stores Again Selling Annual 'Lucky Bags' on January 2

Snowshiro

macrumors 6502
Jan 12, 2008
As long as it contains enough stuff in it to make up the cost, I'd be game (if I lived in Japan)!

Really? Personally, I've never really liked these bags. They're often just an excuse for retailers to get rid of a load of old stock that they haven't been able to sell, on the premise that the value of the contents is higher than the ticket price. But normally these bags cost a lot less than the Apple version, so it's not such a big deal if it contains crap. 36,000 yen is a crazy amount to risk on getting a load of stuff that you may not even be able to use just because there's a tiny tiny change of getting something cool like a MacBook Air. In the past they've often had things like iPhone accessories, docks and other stuff which is worthless if you don't own the relevant device.

inaneframe

macrumors newbie
Jun 22, 2013
Really? Personally, I've never really liked these bags. They're often just an excuse for retailers to get rid of a load of old stock that they haven't been able to sell, on the premise that the value of the contents is higher than the ticket price. But normally these bags cost a lot less than the Apple version, so it's not such a big deal if it contains crap. 36,000 yen is a crazy amount to risk on getting a load of stuff that you may not even be able to use just because there's a tiny tiny change of getting something cool like a MacBook Air. In the past they've often had things like iPhone accessories, docks and other stuff which is worthless if you don't own the relevant device.

Are you living in Japan?

Djlild7hina

macrumors 6502a
Mar 28, 2009
Aw bummer... the year i'm finally in japan i'll be going to the mountains. I don't know if I'd risk that much money on the lucky bag though.

windowpain

macrumors 6502a
Apr 19, 2008
Japan
The bags are better if you are with a group of people who all buy them.
That way you can swap with each other things you might not need/want.

Some shops are better value than others (many other retailers in Japan offer them) but I think generally speaking Apple's are worth the gamble.

There will probably be 2-3 times the value of stuff inside. And some people get really lucky!

quietstormSD

macrumors 65816
Mar 2, 2010
San Diego, CA
Yeah I probably wouldn't buy it, if I get a bunch of iPhone 5 or 5S accessories it won't do me any good. If I want an accessory I'd by it off amazon or something

N64

macrumors regular
Dec 24, 2013
Lost Woods
Only in Japan... and I mean this in a good way. Sounds awesome as long as there isn't some high chance of ending up with 50 USB cables.

----------

A few fortunate folks, however, have received big-ticket items in past years, like iPads or MacBook Airs, which have made Lucky Bags ultra popular in Japan.​

Can't you tell from the outside if a Lucky Bag contains a MacBook Air? Or a 2012 Mac Pro XD​

Hastings101

macrumors 68020
Jun 22, 2010
K
I think it sounds fun but that price is a little scary. Probably something I'd try once just for kicks and then never do again

MacDav

macrumors 65816
Mar 24, 2004
Seriously? Buying one of these bags is the true definition of Apple Fanboism. Your'e happy with whatever you get because it's made by Apple? Please...
I wouldn't spend my hard earned cash on the chance I might get something that I want. I know exactly what I want and that's what I'll buy. Talk about dumb.

Jeff3f

macrumors member
Nov 12, 2010
Is there a web site somewhere where folks have posted their apple store lucky bag contents? I'm curious!

Ihatefall

macrumors regular
Jun 30, 2010
they are familar with Japanese

Are you living in Japan?

Snowshiro is right, I think they rarely work out in the customers favor. My guess is that they have at least lived in Japan and know some Japanese shiro means white so "snow white".

I am willing to bet that Apple dumps their less than prefect items in there. (boxes with dents, or a unit that has been scratched, etc.)

I am American and this is my second time living in Japan, first time working for a Japanese company and we do all sorts of stuff with our 'damaged' items. Although, keep in mind what most Japanese considered damaged, most Americans would not. (Loose threads on a tee shirt seem aren't simply cut off as they are in the states, nope, off to the damage box with you later to be sold at a loss.)

So it could also be a way to get rid of their less than perfect stock.

----------

Is there a web site somewhere where folks have posted their apple store lucky bag contents? I'm curious!

There is a website: It's called google....

you can click the link below or google it yourself.
Try apple福袋
or apple fukubukuro

https://www.google.co.jp/search?q=a...4AQ&ved=0CAkQ_AUoAQ&biw=1266&bih=819#imgdii=_

Brandon263

macrumors 6502
Sep 12, 2009
Beaumont, CA
Japanese Apple Stores Again Selling Annual 'Lucky Bags' on January 2

I doubt Apple is intentionally selling defective goods to customers.

Snowshiro is right, I think they rarely work out in the customers favor. My guess is that they have at least lived in Japan and know some Japanese shiro means white so "snow white".

I am willing to bet that Apple dumps their less than prefect items in there. (boxes with dents, or a unit that has been scratched, etc.)

I am American and this is my second time living in Japan, first time working for a Japanese company and we do all sorts of stuff with our 'damaged' items. Although, keep in mind what most Japanese considered damaged, most Americans would not. (Loose threads on a tee shirt seem aren't simply cut off as they are in the states, nope, off to the damage box with you later to be sold at a loss.)

So it could also be a way to get rid of their less than perfect stock.

----------

There is a website: It's called google....

you can click the link below or google it yourself.

Try apple

or apple fukubukuro

https://www.google.co.jp/search?q=a...4AQ&ved=0CAkQ_AUoAQ&biw=1266&bih=819#imgdii=_

windowpain

macrumors 6502a
Apr 19, 2008
Japan
Seriously? Buying one of these bags is the true definition of Apple Fanboism. Your'e happy with whatever you get because it's made by Apple? Please...
I wouldn't spend my hard earned cash on the chance I might get something that I want. I know exactly what I want and that's what I'll buy. Talk about dumb.

These 'lucky bags' are used by a great many retailers in Japan, and not just apple. They are very popular, and general speaking the items inside are worth more than what you pay for the bag. Sometimes a lot lot more.

Its a bit of fun, and many people especially teenagers like to spend their new year money (a custom to give money to younger relatives) on a bag full of goodies.

What is dumb about it? No dumber than buying lotto tickets or scratch cards.

Ihatefall

macrumors regular
Jun 30, 2010
I doubt Apple is intentionally selling defective goods to customers.

I didn't say defective, I said less than prefect.... Japanese customers will not go for a box that has a slightly banged corner for example. If the plastic on the magic mouse case is scratched.... most Japanese customers will not buy it at full price. I have heard it said many times, if it passes Japanese quality control, it will pass in the rest of the world. This is not to say I don't agree with them, if I am spending $1500 USD on a computer... I want it to be prefect too.

Japan doesn't really have "open box specials", either.

Brandon263

macrumors 6502
Sep 12, 2009
Beaumont, CA
If Apple sold "less than perfect" goods as Lucky Bags, people would definitely find out (Apple customers, especially in Japan, are picky) and complain about this -- loudly. The more plausible explanation is that Apple's thinking behind selling the bags is to get marginal gain by including items that are not as popular with customers in the bags. Marketing may also be another motive considering the huge numbers of people who line up for the bags.

I didn't say defective, I said less than prefect.... Japanese customers will not go for a box that has a slightly banged corner for example. If the plastic on the magic mouse case is scratched.... most Japanese customers will not buy it at full price. I have heard it said many times, if it passes Japanese quality control, it will pass in the rest of the world. This is not to say I don't agree with them, if I am spending $1500 USD on a computer... I want it to be prefect too.

Japan doesn't really have "open box specials", either.

japanime

macrumors 68030
Feb 27, 2006
Japan

Agreed. Plus, the lines at the Apple Stores (at least the ones in Tokyo) have always been super-long for these bags. Not worth it, in my opinion.

Once again, I'll be staying at home and drinking amazake instead. :D

MacDav

macrumors 65816
Mar 24, 2004
These 'lucky bags' are used by a great many retailers in Japan, and not just apple. They are very popular, and general speaking the items inside are worth more than what you pay for the bag. Sometimes a lot lot more.

Its a bit of fun, and many people especially teenagers like to spend their new year money (a custom to give money to younger relatives) on a bag full of goodies.

What is dumb about it? No dumber than buying lotto tickets or scratch cards.

You are exactly right. It is no dumber than buying lotto tickets or scratch cards, and that is about as dumb as you can get. ;)

Helloagain

macrumors newbie
Dec 24, 2013

If you ever get a chance.... you should try checking out an Apple store in person. They are an impressive retail environment. The 1st thing you will notice is that they do NOT have outdated old stock laying around.
They are the epitome of a corporate practice called "just in time" inventory. They don't order vast amounts of junk that they can't sell.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.