Japanese Seniors: Send Us to Damaged Nuclear Plant

Discussion in 'Politics, Religion, Social Issues' started by bradl, Sep 14, 2011.

1. bradl macrumors 68040

bradl

If only this type of honour and "paying it forward" mentality existed in the US and the rest of the Western world..

http://www.npr.org/2011/09/12/140402430/japanese-seniors-send-us-to-damaged-nuclear-plant

BL.

2. obeygiant macrumors 68040

obeygiant

The US is not completely devoid of this mentality, I've experienced it first hand. However the citizens of Japan are on a whole different level when it comes to social contract, I've seen a complete stranger guard a wallet that was left on a train to find its way back to the owner. This is not uncommon over there.

3. Daffodil macrumors 6502

Daffodil

Wow, how touching! :) I wonder if it'll actually go through...

4. iJohnHenry macrumors P6

iJohnHenry

It will be difficult, for as much as their culture requires this sacrifice of them, it also causes the Government to lose-face. This is also a cultural taboo.

5. Daffodil macrumors 6502

Daffodil

I'd say their government has already lost face pretty badly in this case... If I were in charge, and these qualified people volunteered, I'd consider it a boon. But I hear you, culture definitely makes a huge difference to perception, and in this case, it might be too tough a pill to swallow.

6. leekohler macrumors G5

leekohler

That whole "losing face" thing is ridiculous. Do what needs to be done.

7. Daffodil macrumors 6502

Daffodil

Yeah, if only the world actually worked that way. Sadly until then, no such luck...

I guess it makes for an interesting discussion on the merits of pragmatism versus ideology.