Jared and Ivanka -- what's not to like ;)

Discussion in 'Politics, Religion, Social Issues' started by profmatt, Apr 22, 2017.

1. profmatt macrumors 65816

profmatt

2. Nefilim Suspended

In this Apple specific forum some conservatives may view that as another legitimate qualification for the office, right up there with the other qualifications "daughter" and "son-in-law"....

3. Chew Toy McCoy macrumors regular

Chew Toy McCoy

I don't know. If you read the comments on the main articles there are quite a few people who think owning Apple products is a sign of poor decision making.

4. MacNut macrumors Core

MacNut

Everything is grey. These people live a depressed life.

5. Scepticalscribe Contributor

Scepticalscribe

What not to like? Almost everything, alas.

6. localoid macrumors 68020

localoid

Plastic. People.
    Well, "plastic people" usually aren't very "colorful"...

[​IMG]

7. nia820 macrumors 68000

nia820

Who shares office space with their spouse? Too much of a distraction.

8. A.Goldberg macrumors 68000

A.Goldberg

Shocking they both own MacBooks! Who would have figured? The ultimate indicator of personal compatibility too- forget match.com or eharmony.

I guess my girlfriend and I are quite likeable characters as we both have MacBooks too. Good to know.

Maybe we could score a double date over with the Trump-Kushners over our computer choices... have them over for Shabbat and stare at each other's computers.

I can't say I'm a big fan of their interior design with the acrylic-looking desk and coffee table.

9. profmatt thread starter macrumors 65816

profmatt

This wasn't intended to be a political thread, but I will ask this question. Which do you prefer (given only these options!): the Donald as president on his own, or the Donald + Ivanka/Jared?

And, yes, it's all a bit grey, but at least it's not as vulgar as the Donald's taste.

Plus, you know, they're not bad to look at.

10. Scepticalscribe, Apr 22, 2017
    Last edited: Apr 23, 2017

Scepticalscribe Contributor

Scepticalscribe

Sharing office space with a spouse is not the issue; I know a few couples - the kind who have a mutually respectful and loving relationship - who manage to do that quite successfully.

Now, sharing a desk might cause issues - I know I would not be open to desk sharing.

No, the first issue is the improper and inappropriate proximity - which is redolent of the sort of arrangement one sees in regimes across much of the Third World - that is, the physical, psychological and political proximity - of this pair - by virtue of family ties, in other words, classical nepotism - to the office of the President.

The second issue is that they - both of them - are, by virtue of their utter inexperience - historically unqualified to wield the sort of political power that they do.

And - the third is that, despite holding the power (and influence) that they do, they have not been appointed by - and are not answerable to, or accountable to - any public body for the power and influence they wield.

Just imagine the sustained howls of outrage and shrill outcry from the right, if Chelsea Clinton - or, worse, former President Bill Clinton (someone, who, at the very least, was vastly experienced) had been appointed to play a similar role in an administration run by Hillary Clinton.

11. MadeTheSwitch macrumors 6502a

MadeTheSwitch

I think it looks nice myself. Much better than the gaudy gold that her father prefers.

12. cardfan macrumors 65816

Looks nice but man I couldn't work like that. Give me a full size mechanical kb, kb gel wrist pad, logitech mouse, imac or 27" 4k monitor, speakers optional. I can deal with a macbook on the go but not in home/office.

13. yaxomoxay macrumors 68000

yaxomoxay

Looks nice to me, much more minimalist than I expected. (*)
    As for working so close to my wife... no way. In any case good for them if they prefer it, although I don't expect them to do all their work there, as they certainly aren't on an 8-5 schedule. They probably use the stations for some catch up work at night.

(*) on the other hand I love Ikea so my taste might not be for everyone

14. mudslag macrumors regular

mudslag

Greys a nice color, plus it's better then the gold other family members are fancy with.

15. citizenzen macrumors 65816

Those MacBooks look pretty old.

16. yaxomoxay macrumors 68000

yaxomoxay

Because they are much better, and cheaper, than the new ones with TouchBar ;)
    --- Post Merged, Apr 22, 2017 ---
    This is a very sick pseudo-psychological interpretation of two pictures of one small space among all the of the estate the couple owns.
    "Improper proximity," I mean they share the same bed and they might even shower together at times. They're married, there is virtually no "inappropriate proximity" as long as both are happy with it and both are consensual about it.
    With all due respect, you're one of the last people I expected to write such utter bs.

(Unless I have to adjust my my sarcasm meter)

17. Scepticalscribe Contributor

Scepticalscribe

I suspect that you are looking for meanings that I didn't even know existed, or could be inferred from what I wrote.

"Very sick pseudo-psychological interpretation"? What on earth are you talking about?

Now, I will readily grant that I think Mr Trump himself is a very sick and unhinged human being, a narcissistic sociopath who is completely unfit - psychologically, physically and personally, - not least for his paltry intellect, sheer self-indulgent laziness, corruption, mendacity, recklessness, irresponsibility, - for the office he currently holds.

Now: Please pay close heed, and this time, actually read what I have written, rather than what you think I have meant by what I have written: The proximity I have in mind - which, if you read my post clearly, you might have understood - and others had no difficulty comprehending my meaning - is that of the loving couple to the President which I think is scandalous, and a disgraceful blurring of the boundaries between the public and the private. They should not be working in the White House, and should have no role whatsoever in Mr Trump's administration.

Robert Kennedy at least had some sort of relevant experience before serving as his brother's Attorney General, unlike this pair.

And, on the actual topic, while I think Mr Trump's taste spectacularly awful, and clearly completely non-existent, I cannot find anything which appeals aesthetically to me in the pictures of the office posted above; it is anonymous, bland, boring and devoid of any evidence of character or flair.

18. thekev macrumors 604

thekev

Politicians shouldn't have the ability to directly appoint family members. This might exclude some reasonable candidates from certain roles, but it doesn't change anything. It's still reminiscent of banana republic nonsense (ironically a US creation).

19. yaxomoxay macrumors 68000

yaxomoxay

Okay, then I stand corrected as I evidently misinterpreted your post. I am glad to know that what you wrote is not meant as I - erroneously - interpreted it specifically because I always respected what you write, even when I am in disagreement.
    I apologize for the mistake.

20. A.Goldberg macrumors 68000

A.Goldberg

I doubt either of them work out of their home to a significant extent. I imagine they have their own offices elsewhere. That's not a particularly functional looking desk as it is.

21. TheHateMachine macrumors 6502a

TheHateMachine

22. Thomas Veil macrumors 68020

Thomas Veil

If you want to ask what's not to like about Jared and Ivanka, John Oliver asked it better. If you saw the segment this past weekend, you know he's critical of those of us (and I've fallen into the trap myself) who see the pair as a moderating force in the White House, trying to control the Baby-in-Chief.

Oliver's point was that Ivanka may have more moderate opinions than her dad, but she doesn't share what she tells him with anybody, or for that matter, how effective she is with him. And Jared says almost nothing at all. So how do we know the extent of any influence they may have on him, and what that influence is? They're practically ciphers.

23. jerwin macrumors 65816