Java 1.4.2 Update 2 Now Available

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001
Now available via Software Update:
Java 1.4.2 Update 2 provides improved behavior for applets in Safari and increased stability for desktop Java applications. Java 1.4.2 Update 2 also includes all the improvements from Java 1.4.2 Update 1.

The system will be updated to Java 1.4.2 Update 2. If the system currently has Java 1.4.1, it will be removed. Any previous Java 1.4.2 installation will be completely replaced.

For more details on this update, please visit: http://www.apple.com/java/
This is part 2 of the Java 1.4.2 Update 1 that was released August 10th.

PlaceofDis

macrumors Core
Jan 6, 2004
i was wondering when the Second Update would be coming along, i guess i will be courageous and dl it....

Stella

macrumors G3
Apr 21, 2003
Canada
I hope this release improves the performance over the previous 1.4.2 update.

The original 1.4.2 was fine on my iBook, but the 1.4.2 release a few weeks ago absolutely killed my iBook - Java applications became incredibly sluggish.

mrzippy

macrumors 6502
Apr 24, 2003
Kent, UK
Does not show up here.

Maybe because I installed the public beta on the developer site, maybe this version is the same.

impierced

macrumors 6502
Sep 30, 2002
mrzippy said:
Does not show up here.

Maybe because I installed the public beta on the developer site, maybe this version is the same.
Developer site and public beta typically do not go hand in hand. Also, installing beta software on a computer and thinking that an actual release will simply overwrite it is somewhat foolhardy.

yoda13

macrumors 65816
Sep 26, 2003
Texas
I hope this is the last of the lengthy downloads for a while as I am still stuck on dial-up, at least for another week, until they are done testing the new broadband here in the sticks. Oh well, I will download tonight.

mrzippy

macrumors 6502
Apr 24, 2003
Kent, UK
impierced said:
Developer site and public beta typically do not go hand in hand. Also, installing beta software on a computer and thinking that an actual release will simply overwrite it is somewhat foolhardy.
I never said I installed the beta thinking it was an actual release.

I said I think the beta I download (think it was the Final Candidate actually) was the version actually released.

Software updated looks in /library/receipts for version information, therefore it must think I have latest version.

As for the second part, the install clearly states the previous version will be overwritten.

Stella

macrumors G3
Apr 21, 2003
Canada
keysersoze said:
Why not 1.4.3?

Why this new "Update #" scheme?

I need a beer.
Because its an update to 1.4.2, there is no Java 1.4.3, only Java 1.4.2 and soon to be coming 1.5.. although Macs won't get that until 6 months after 1.5 gets released on the various *nixes and other minor OSes....

t300

macrumors 6502a
Apr 10, 2004
Dang....Everytime I see there is an update, I pray that it is that iPod mini one talked about a few weeks ago...

stevehaslip

macrumors 6502a
Apr 30, 2004
The Ocean Floor
i'm gonna hold off a day or two before installing this, i knows its only java but i've been bitten by one of the recent updates and can't afford any downtime at the moment. In a few days i have to go without the internet for nearly 2 weeks!!!! HARSH!! i'm gonna have withdraw symptoms!!! :(

macridah

macrumors 6502a
Feb 18, 2004
Nor-Cal
Stella said:
Because its an update to 1.4.2, there is no Java 1.4.3, only Java 1.4.2 and soon to be coming 1.5.. although Macs won't get that until 6 months after 1.5 gets released on the various *nixes and other minor OSes....
yup ... java 1.5 is already in Release Candidate for windows and linux.

nQuery

macrumors newbie
Jul 20, 2004
definite improvement for me

I work in a java development environment all day long and also use some heavy applets that are much speedier and useable under this update (using safari). i had one java applet messaging client that crashed with update 1 (and didn't work at all with 1.4.2 vanilla) ... it works like a charm now.

so far so good ...

wrldwzrd89

macrumors G5
Jun 6, 2003
Solon, OH
Stella said:
I wouldn't be surprised if Mac OS X gets Java 1.5 upon the release of Tiger or shortly thereafter. The way Apple's been going with Java updates, that's the way it looks to me.

Porchland

macrumors 65816
Apr 26, 2004
Georgia
jet3004 said:
Dang....Everytime I see there is an update, I pray that it is that iPod mini one talked about a few weeks ago...
I'm a little surprised that there hans't been an iPod/iTunes update of some sort that knocks Real out of the game. I figured Apple would encourage it with some sort of new feature; but with iLife 5 only (probably) four months away, maybe they're waiting to push out a whole-number upgrade.

wrldwzrd89

macrumors G5
Jun 6, 2003
Solon, OH
Porchland said:
I'm a little surprised that there hans't been an iPod/iTunes update of some sort that knocks Real out of the game. I figured Apple would encourage it with some sort of new feature; but with iLife 5 only (probably) four months away, maybe they're waiting to push out a whole-number upgrade.
My guess is that Apple's holding off on iTunes updates to release iTunes 5 along with Tiger. Anyway, back on topic...I can't install the update just yet because I'm on a PC right now. As soon as I get back home I'll install it.

bousozoku

Moderator emeritus
Jun 25, 2002
Gone but not forgotten.
Stella said:
I'm wondering if there is an actual change to the version as far as Java itself is concerned. 10.3.5 brought 1.4.2_03 and update 1 brought 1.4.2_05. Update 2 is probably just bug fixes but hopefully, there is something more.