Jay Leno is kicking Conan O'Brien out of NBC

yg17

macrumors G5
Aug 1, 2004
St. Louis, MO
Neither of them are funny.

As long as Stewart, Colbert, Letterman and Ferguson are around, my nights are complete.

Surely

Oct 27, 2007
Los Angeles, CA
Harvey always gets the scoop.....

Conan > Leno, but not by much.

Conan just isn't in his prime anymore. His show was so funny 10 or so years ago.

My mother-in-law thinks Leno is hilarious......

Tomorrow

macrumors 604
Mar 2, 2008
Always a day away
Meh, I don't care for either of them. I watched Conan for about a year when he first took over for Letterman, but late night TV got old on me about that time.

Surely

Oct 27, 2007
Los Angeles, CA
Meh, I don't care for either of them. I watched Conan for about a year when he first took over for Letterman, but late night TV got old on me about that time.
The TV usually goes off after The Daily Show for me. I haven't watched Leno/Letterman/Conan/Kimmel/Ferguson in years. Those shows just don't interest me.

mkrishnan

Moderator emeritus
Jan 9, 2004
Grand Rapids, MI, USA
Conan just isn't in his prime anymore.
I miss Triumph the Insult Comic Dog. :eek: But, OTOH, I don't watch late night TV ... the only time I ever see any of this stuff is on Youtube or the like, so I see a few Daily Show and Colbert excerpts here and there, and maybe occasionally a scene from Conan's show.

rhett7660

macrumors G5
Jan 9, 2008
Sunny, Southern California
Wow... I thought Jay Leno show was pretty bad. I only watched it a few times and not all the way through. I liked him on late night thou. There was something different about his new show thou.

This is going to be very interesting to see what happens to Conan if this is true!!

rdowns

macrumors Penryn
Jul 11, 2003
Looks like TMZ jumped the gun.

http://marquee.blogs.cnn.com/2010/01/07/nbc-leno-show-has-performed-as-we-anticipated/

They don't say that Leno is specifically staying at 10 pm ET, but they don't sound like they're freaking out and rearranging NBC's schedule either.

From your link:
"Jay Leno is one of the most compelling entertainers in the world today," NBC representative Rebecca Marks said. "As we have said all along, Jay's show has performed exactly as we anticipated on the network."

But, Marks added, the show has represented some issues for NBC's affiliates - issues she declined to comment on.

However, "both Jay and the show are committed to working closely with them to find ways to improve the performance."​

That's Hollywood speak for he's toast.

While his low ratings are at NBC and advertiser expectations, NBC stations are getting hammered in the 11pm news ratings and Conan loses a strong lead in.

They ever should have put him on 5 nights a week. 2 or 3 and it might have worked better all around.

Thomas Veil

macrumors 68020
Feb 14, 2004
OBJECTIVE reality
That's Hollywood speak for he's toast.
Possibly, but the ideas reported by TMZ are potentially an even bigger disaster. You've got the issues of how do you comp Conan, what are you going to do with the late night time slots, and where are you gonna quickly get filler for the 10 pm slot that'll pull better ratings than Leno? What're they gonna do, bring back Deal or No Deal or strip Dateline NBC??

rdowns

macrumors Penryn
Jul 11, 2003
Possibly, but the ideas reported by TMZ are potentially an even bigger disaster. You've got the issues of how do you comp Conan, what are you going to do with the late night time slots, and where are you gonna quickly get filler for the 10 pm slot that'll pull better ratings than Leno? What're they gonna do, bring back Deal or No Deal or strip Dateline NBC??

I saw an article today that NBC has ordered an unusually high number of pilots. Let me see if I can find it.

EDIT: This blog mentions it.
http://industry.bnet.com/media/10005796/leno-is-out-rumors-swirl-was-nbcs-huge-pilot-order-the-smoking-gun/