JB 4.3.1 and my signal strength is only one bar

Discussion in 'Jailbreaks and iOS Hacks' started by mikeylikesit, Apr 4, 2011.

1. mikeylikesit macrumors member

I just upgraded my iPhone 4 from JB 4.0.1 to 4.3.1. I had a lot of problems with the phone being in a restore mode loop and had to use fixrecovery from tinyumbrella sight to exit. At this point i'm not even jailbroken, however, my signal strength is only one bar on AT&T when it usually was 5 bars. I've seen some references to this on other threads but I don't understand why I have this since I haven't jailbroken after the upgrade. The one thing I do notice is my baseband is still at 1.59.00. I tried restoring again through iTunes and again was stuck in the retore loop and had to use tinyumbrella to exit.

Any thoughts on why I'm having this problem and is this a signal problem or a firmware indicator problem? I tried the phone and the call quality seems ok, but I'm concerned since I use it for work.

I went into field test mode and it showed my signal strength as -113db which from what I recall is not good.

Thanks for your thoughts.

2. Los macrumors regular

It's a bug, I think the dev-team is going to work on a fix. But your signal is fine, you have nothing to worry about.

3. mikeylikesit thread starter macrumors member

4. danwestbrook macrumors regular

danwestbrook

Yeah mines the same on O2 in the UK also went from 4.01 to 4.3.1 Redsnow, is there anyway to fix this

5. QuarterSwede macrumors G3

QuarterSwede

So, no, not yet.

6. danwestbrook macrumors regular

danwestbrook

Right i seem to have found the problem, it was Tiny Umbrella stopping the Apple 4.3.1 update getting signed and seemed to stop the Baseband being updated. To fix the problem go into TinyUmbrella and in the Advanced preferences, unchecked "set hosts to Cydia on exit" and then restored by iPhone. Restore didn't force me into recovery and now I have full bars.

Let me know how you get on

7. Dannymonky, Apr 4, 2011
    Last edited: Apr 4, 2011

Dannymonky macrumors member

Dannymonky

My iphone also is only showing 1 bar. iP4 w/ 1.59.00 BB. The pwnage tool jailbreak and everything else went fine. Pkgbackup almost restore all my apps. Call service/quality has been fine. So has 3G service. It has not changed from 1 bar all day long. :eek:

OPPS ---just saw the other thread. Sorry!!!

8. brucebrendon macrumors regular

same here.

but it's no prob.

bars are just a waste of space anyway to me – kinda like a 'call me back' voicemail.

9. FastangV6 macrumors regular

FastangV6

My iP4 GSM (on AT$T) 4.3.1 w/ 01.59.00 BB is the same as you described. One signal bar constantly so far on EDGE and 3G both. Hopefully the update the dev-team is working on for ultrasn0w fixes the issue, although I have not had any problems with calls/SMS/data usage, so it seems to be a signal display issue related to the incompatibility between the new FW and old BB and not an actual problem with signal strength as others have mentioned.

10. Paratel macrumors 6502

Paratel

Did you use Pwnage to JB? I id and had the same issue, 1 Bar and not AT&T logo. I have the BB of 04.10.01. I restored back to original settings and then JB again using Redsn0w. Worked like a charm and had no issues. I would recommend that.

11. Applejuiced macrumors Westmere

Applejuiced

Even though I'm on official carrier I'd like to keep my 01.59 BB but this bug sucks. Would they need to update redsnow and pwnage for a fix or would it come thru cydia?

12. hogsdill macrumors member

I have the same setup (iP4 GSM on AT&T 4.3.1 w/01.59.00) and with the same issue. It doesn't appear to affect calls or usage. I'll subscribe to this post in case someone has a fix for it.

13. FastangV6, Apr 5, 2011
    Last edited: Apr 5, 2011

FastangV6 macrumors regular

FastangV6

I used pwnage tool to JB. I am hoping that the upcoming ultrasn0w update via cydia will fix this (even for people on official carriers like me), but we'll see. I avoided redsn0w because i would like to keep the older BB to allow for future unlock.

14. hogsdill macrumors member

I used Pwnage as well.

15. nebo1ss macrumors 68030

There is a fix in the pushfix repo.

http://cydia.pushfix.info/

16. Applejuiced macrumors Westmere

Applejuiced

Thank you.
    Is this new just for 4.3.1 without matching BB?
    And any negatives about it such as battery drain or anything?

17. psywzrd macrumors 68030

What's it called and is it for this specific issue (1.59bb and 4.3.1 software)?

18. himni macrumors regular

I am guessing that a fix will be put out the same time as ultrasn0w and probably will be able to be patched through Cydia.

This is just a fix for ultrasn0w to work on 4.3.1 and I wouldn't use it. I would wait until the dev-team fixes the issues 4.3.1 caused when using it with older BaseBands & releases an updated ultrasn0w.

I updated to 4.3.1 and kept BB 1.59 and tried the jailbreak and things didn't run as smoothly as they should. Like the dev-team said if you are an unlocker (or preserve your baseband) stay away from 4.3.1 until they work everything out.

19. Applejuiced macrumors Westmere

Applejuiced

Interesting. What if you don't want or need to install Ultrasnow?
    Just an older BB with the new jb firmware?
    Anyone try this fix without Ultrasnow installed?

20. psywzrd macrumors 68030

I'd like to know this as well. I preserved my bb just in case I need to unlock at some point (or if I want to eventually sell my phone as unlocked) but this signal meter thing is annoying. Kind of makes me wish my bb updated (tinyumbrella caused the bb update to be blocked even though I didn't even have it running when I did my restore).

21. stlblufan macrumors regular

stlblufan

You can't install the fix without ultrasn0w installed (it is a dependency).

I did install ultrasn0w to test the fix (I'm on ATT so don't need ultrasn0w except when I travel overseas).

The fix works in that it allows ultrasn0w to work as it should - the device is unlocked and will work on TMo. The fix does not correct the issue with one bar showing for your signal, but that's not what it is meant to do AFAIK.

22. Applejuiced macrumors Westmere

Applejuiced

Cool, thank u for the info.

23. DarkCloud2015 macrumors member

DarkCloud2015

@MuscleNerd: The 4.3.1 issues (signal bars, etc) are fixed http://is.gd/OYktXf but need a few days to test all devices + FW (again: not a new unlock!)

24. ayephone4 macrumors newbie

JB 4.3.1 all good!!

Hi - i just joined to post a reply as this is exactly what i did. I was on 4.0.1 and updated to 4.3.1.

I had a recouring loop with phone in restore mode once it was upgraded and could not get it out using Tiny Umbrella. I googled and followed instructions to use the fixer tool and .dll etc...etc...

As per an earlier post, the problems with 1 bar are related to keeping 1.59 base band. If you havean unlocked phone like i do, and don't care about BB, then this can be fixed by an iTunes restore.

The iTunes error/restore loop issues are alo related. There is a setting in TinyUmbrella Advanced tab - Set host to Cydia on exit. Uncheck this to upgrade your BB. You will also not have any iTunre/restore loop issues.

Once this has been done, restore using iTunes. Then use Redsnow latets version to JB.

I have done this and now have iP4 on 4.3.1 with BB 4.10.01 and Cydia installed. Just in the process of re-installing all JB tweaks now and all is fine. Have full signal bars also.

Hope this helps. Not shure why keeping BB 1.59 is neccesary if you have an unlocked phone?

:D