JB my 3GS: 3.1.2 Pwnage -> 3.1.3 Spirit -> now what?

Discussion in 'Jailbreaks and iOS Hacks' started by singletracker, Jun 23, 2010.

1. singletracker macrumors newbie

So I'd like to try to get iOS 4 on my iPhone 3GS. So far I've jailbroken it via:
    3.1.2 using PwnageTool
    3.1.3 using Spirit.
    It's an old bootrom phone (359.3).
    What are my options at this point? Should I downgrade it to 3.1.2 before using the new PwnageTool?

2. ScrewTheDaisies macrumors regular

Downgrade to 3.1.2, jaikbreak 3.1.2 with redsn0w, then use Pwnage to jailbreak to 4. Did it myself last night.

3. singletracker thread starter macrumors newbie

I tried that yesterday too... Created a custom .ipsw with PwnageTool for 3.1.2... got an iTunes error 1604. Grrr... What now?

4. thelatinist macrumors 603

thelatinist

You can't downgrade to a custom firmware, since downgrades must be done in DFU mode. Do you have your 3.1.2 SHSH on file? If so, put your phone in DFU mode and use saurik's method to downgrade to 3.1.2 and jailbreak with redsn0w. When that is done, you will be able to use PwnageTool to upgrade to a custom 4.0 firmware.

If you do not have your SHSH on file, then you cannot currently upgrade to 4.0 jailbroken.

5. singletracker thread starter macrumors newbie

AHA! I didn't know that you couldn't downgrade to a custom ipsw. Yeah, I have blobs for 3.1.2 and 3.1.3 squirreled away.
    Awesome awesome awesome. Thx!

6. singletracker thread starter macrumors newbie

Grrrr.... Edited my /etc/hosts file, as per Saurik's instructions. But it doesn't seem to be working for some reason... iTunes still looks at gs.apple.com for the SHSH blobs, not Saurik's IP address. So I get "The device is not eligible for the requested build." It's as if my hosts file is being ignored. WTF?

7. thelatinist macrumors 603

thelatinist

Um, yes. iTunes thinks it's contacting gs.apple.com, but your computer forwards those requests to saurik's IP instead of getting the Apple server's IP address from your DNS server.

8. singletracker thread starter macrumors newbie

Right, I'm saying that the forwarding is NOT happening, even though I've edited my hosts file so that it should.

9. thelatinist macrumors 603

thelatinist

How do you know that? Have you pinged gs.apple.com and gotten the Apple IP back? Try this from a terminal:

Code:
    ping gs.apple.com
    If it returns

Code:
    PING gs.apple.com (74.208.105.171)
    Then the forwarding is working.

10. Applejuiced macrumors Westmere

Applejuiced

If you do have your SHSH's saved and you did the hosts edit correct then it will let you downgrade to 3.1.2
    If not you either did something wrong or dont have the particular SHSH's on file thru cydia.

11. singletracker thread starter macrumors newbie

Yeah, that's the weird thing... I edited the hosts file correctly, because the "ping gs.apple.com" command indeed returns Saurik's IP address. And I did verify that Saurik has my SHSH blobs on file - I started Cydia on my 3GS and the top of the screen says "SHSH on file for this device for 3.1.2 and 3.1.3".

So I tried a different approach... TinyUmbrella. That's not working either. I get TinyUmbrella's TSS server up and running just fine, but then iTunes returns a 3002 error. Grrr....

Any ideas now?

12. Applejuiced macrumors Westmere

Applejuiced

No clue why its not letting you downgrade.
    Maybe try a different computer.

13. singletracker thread starter macrumors newbie

Oh cr@pola... just realized that somehow iTunes got re-upgraded to 9.2... I know it needs 9.1.1 to work, right? Doing a downgrade now.

14. Applejuiced macrumors Westmere

Applejuiced

Bingo :D

15. singletracker thread starter macrumors newbie

OK I thought I had it, but no...
    Downgraded to iTunes 9.1.1...
    Running TinyUmbrella, which reports "The following devices can be restored safely: iPhone 3GS 3.1.2 (7D11) - [big long ecid]"
    But STILL, iTunes returns a 3002 error.
    Tinyumbrella's error log says:
    >> Parsed incoming request version [iPhone3GS 3.1.2 (7D11)]
    >> Requested [iPhone3GS 3.1.2 (7D11)-]
    >> Requested [iPhone3GS 3.1.2 (7D11)-] version does not exist! This means you do not have the SHSH for this build and device. (You missed the boat sorry).
    >> Wrote TSS response

AARRGHH... why? If TinyUmbrella has retrieved my SHSHs for 3.1.2 from Cydia, why is it telling iTunes that I don't have them?

16. Applejuiced macrumors Westmere

Applejuiced

Ok then its not that your device is not eligible for requested build.
    Its an itunes error code.
    I'd say try another computer with itunes 9.1
    Edit the hosts before and hope it goes thru.